• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The day you removed your yellow bracelet

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
People who do get to survive wearing a bracelet will likely say it helped them so tremendously. So while it lets down victims, it gets credits off survivors.

Reminds me of religion.

Coca-Cola said:
The real question is why did you ever buy one?

Why not just throw $5 to a cancer charity with a better rating http://www.cancerresearch.org/

I agree with you.
Many people are stupid and selfish (well thats my opinion). They only give money to charity if they can get something out of it. Most people i saw who bought livestrong bracelets did it to be cool.

I hate when federer gets credit for raising 100 000 to charity because after seeing pictures of children suffering on cnn, he decided it was the perfect opportunity to have some fun with samprass and aggasi and do a "charity match". People pay $20 to see them mickey around and then claim to have given it to charity. If they want to make a difference they should give much more (especially residents of miami).
If he really wants to make a difference why not slash that $20 million a year sallary by half (ie give half to charity).

Oh and if he really has problems with children and suffering perhaps nike isnt the best choice for a sponsorship deals :rolleyes:

btw the match i reffer to took place before the first round of miami masters- a decent but second tier tennis event (equivalent of paris nice in cycling). The commentators last words at the end of the charity match were as follows

" well that was fun, but now lets move on to the serious events (ie first round tennis)"

Disgrace.

Big digression but point is, yes give to cancer research not livestrong.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
In all honesty, I removed mine earlier this year after having worn it for a few. I'm a survivor and someone gave it to me. Did not really give it much thought in regards to the organization that made it or sold it. Just put it on and kept wearing it because it tended to be an ice breaker in terms of conversation at times - more so off the bike than on. I do remember when I was living on the east coast that I would get some stares from others when riding in groups or passing or being passed by others. Never gave it much thought and never really cared.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I took mine off the day a friend clued me in on the obvious - the bracelets are a superb exercise in branding.

The situation will only get more disgusting the more frequently he hides behind cancer advocacy.

FactChecker said:
I wanted the yellow ones that were selling with "Cheat to Win" on them.

But I never found one :mad:

The Onion used to sell them.

I just went through a custom order process and could make ten of them for about $30 total including shipping. I could put DOPESTRONG on the back for a few cents extra per band.

I may make a bunch of them.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Muriel said:
I never had one but, co-incidentally, the last day of the tour was the day I decided to do some self education.

Previously, I'd not been what you'd call a fan of the Armstrong personality (from reading his books) but recognised his achievements. I'd read the criticism he attracted from others but always just considered it opinion. Then came that said day's PR stunt.

I just couldn't believe the disrespectful, self-centred actions. Armstrong owes a great deal to the Tour, yet in one premeditated action he shat on both the Tour and the riders. There is no doubt in my mind that had Radioshack asked that they would have been allowed to wear those jerseys. But that wasn't good enough for them/Armstrong. He had to flip the bird too. Only he knows why. So I decided to find out more about him. And I found the threads on this forum.

The rest is, and will be, history. I reckon he's going down.

He did not flip the bird Lance made a point. That he has been making a point since day 1 is why all the haters hate Lance(including LeMond). The guy has done a lot of good, and if he has doped he has followed the great tradition of our sport. Cycling is a sport of doping and cheating, like boxing and horseracing. I will wear the yellow band to uphold our tradition and support those with cancer. If you want to read wiki about doping in cycling and le tour be my guest. Man up cycling fans and HTFU. This is not tiddly winks pro cyclists play. It will never be the dream that Tyler Farrar and the people in this clinic envision.

42x16ss said:
I'll take 8!

Maybe people should PM me. The problem is that single orders would end up costing a fair bit because of the shipping. Multiple bands should not cost any more to ship than singles.

It might be funny to get a Livestrong t-shirt and hand them out at a race like the Toor of Utah just like the real Livestrong guys did at the ToC.

A

Anonymous

I went to the Presbyterian Invitational tonight. I saw several "Hope Rides Again" tee shirts. Lance Armstrong = Hope...off my one letter.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
hahaha.

You guys should grow up. The man is a hero, show your support, where yellow with pride.

Ive got so many I've lost count they are so stylish and they match the rest of my USPS, DISCO, ASTANA, RADIOSHACK, LIVESTRONG, LIVESTRONG U23, RADIOSHACK 28 kits.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
WonderLance said:
hahaha.

You guys should grow up. The man is a hero, show your support, where yellow with pride.

Ive got so many I've lost count they are so stylish and they match the rest of my USPS, DISCO, ASTANA, RADIOSHACK, LIVESTRONG, LIVESTRONG U23, RADIOSHACK 28 kits.

Nice. I am sure that the Astana kits go over well when you are attending a Lance LoveFest session. :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
urban attacker said:
After the last day of racing in the tour, Radio Shack broke out the black kits i did some soul searching about what message was being sent.
The 28 million cancer number
Livestrong, I did pull up there website that day
Then it came to me it was about Lance showboating
Lance =Livestrong=cancer; with a healthy lean of Lance
I will fight cancer but not promote Lance
I will ride my bike as hard and fast as i can and i will cheer on any body doing the same.Let us start over and have some fun bicycle racing .UCI.clean up your act as well

PEACE

Fair enough and nice post. You can get fake bands and I got one of those as those ones don't actually go to Livestrong. I had mine on for a while just because I had someone quite ill from cancer but then I realised that it is a symbol of a cheat and a fraud. I want to get a bike pure band.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The Onion used to sell them.

I just went through a custom order process and could make ten of them for about $30 total including shipping. I could put DOPESTRONG on the back for a few cents extra per band.

I may make a bunch of them.
That'll do until the No BPC's jerseys get here.

WonderLance said:
hahaha.

I saw two crackheads wearing yellow Livestrong t-shirts. Not the cheap knock-offs, but the ones made from that sweat-wicking material now in vogue with most athletic clothing companies. They had cute matching Nike shorts and brand new Nike sneakers. Very nice outfits.

The lady was an old, bloated hag with missing teeth and that unmistakeable heroin stroll.

The guy's face was mutilated in a high-speed car chase in Florida. His grill went through the windshield when he crashed trying to elude the cops. If he ever sought work as a scarecrow, he'd put many scarecrow makers out of business.

I couldn't help but get a perverse chuckle out of these two idiots, who more than likely have no idea who Lance Armstrong is.

As I saw them stroll past romantically holding hands I couldn't help wonder if this is what Armstrong had in mind when Nike decided to manufacture his clothing line.

CRACKSTRONG!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I only ever saw this news item in French, but Cyclismag is usually reliable. If it's true, then the yellow bands represent something a bit different these days.

I read a few hours ago that this year Nike is giving the proceeds from the yellow bands to another cancer charity rather than Livestrong. That's kind of a big deal, if true.

Nike, money, ethics

This year, Nike has decided to donate the proceeds of yellow Livestrong wristband to the League against Cancer. Last year, earnings had benefited Livestrong, which is both the foundation "Charity", supported by Lance Armstrong and a company whose runner-businessman takes a personal profit.
For his part, whatever the recipient of the collection, Nike was the big winner of the transaction.Marie-Hélène Abbo, a marketing professor at the Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Pau, Le Figaro says that the donor "also helps the Nike brand to be ethical. The "partnership" between a private company and a worthy cause even has a name in English: "co-branding issue.

http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5988#ancre2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
LH.png

Itsnodope1-1.png

Ahh...my favorite t-shirt; get's a lot of comments.

flicker said:
He did not flip the bird Lance made a point. That he has been making a point since day 1 is why all the haters hate Lance(including LeMond). The guy has done a lot of good, and if he has doped he has followed the great tradition of our sport. Cycling is a sport of doping and cheating, like boxing and horseracing. I will wear the yellow band to uphold our tradition and support those with cancer. If you want to read wiki about doping in cycling and le tour be my guest. Man up cycling fans and HTFU. This is not tiddly winks pro cyclists play. It will never be the dream that Tyler Farrar and the people in this clinic envision.

This is the issue that bugs me not about just Lance but ethics in general, are we ok with people using their fame and success to do go deeds if how they achieved their fame and success was done fraudently. Kinda reminds me of the mafia, who are after all just looking after their families etc, the Colombian druglords too. Do people respect these types of people. Some clearly do.

I now regularly see this line that all other cyclists were doped like Lance so its ok. Thing is, Lance was never gonna be just another cyclist cheating to win the Tour. If it had been Tyler Hanilton that had won 7 Tours, would he have achieved the same level of fame, wealth and power that Lance did. No way. I wish people would stop making that comparison, after cancer Lance was never just gonna be another cyclist.

Lance went stratospheric after just one Tour victory, why? the cancer angle. With his backstory, Lance knew what would happen and that he would be asked lots of questions about doping. Win in a sport where everyone is doping, sure fine.

But then promoting yourself as an inspirational clean hero/symbol/crusader to the cancer community is something else altogether at least in my eyes. I think thats what annoyed a lot of people like David Walsh & the French. They knew he was blatantly cheating from the beginning and they saw him lead so many people up the garden path, they just couldnt take the duplicity.

The UCI clearly took the opposite approach, they saw a potential windfall and immediately made Lance a protected species if that story about the positive test at the 2001 Tour of Switzerland is anything to go by.

What would I have had Lance do in 99 after he won the Tour. Take the Indurain approach, steer clear of the popular media and let others look after the Cancer foundation whilst contributing a large part of his still substantial earnings. This approach might not have raised as much money for cancer but there would have been a lot more integrity to it.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I love the way corporate sleaze balls use charities to promote their brand (it's a more effective form of advertising as people don't see it as marketing). It gives them the aura of being ethical good guys. Nike makes it's products in sweatshops around the world but can polish it's image and sell more swag by hawking some yellow bands.

Lance makes his name synonymous with the fight against cancer which has made his brand much more lucrative and is the perfect cover for a guy who built a personal myth that is one big fat lie. He's already playing the cancer card with this federal investigation.

Want to be a philanthropist? Do it in a way that you don't personally profit from. How many of these guys would be contributing if the cameras were not there? If there was no additional commercial benefit to them from all the publicity?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
henryg said:
I love the way corporate sleaze balls use charities to promote their brand (it's a more effective form of advertising as people don't see it as marketing). It gives them the aura of being ethical good guys. Nike makes it's products in sweatshops around the world but can polish it's image and sell more swag by hawking some yellow bands.

Lance makes his name synonymous with the fight against cancer which has made his brand much more lucrative and is the perfect cover for a guy who built a personal myth that is one big fat lie. He's already playing the cancer card with this federal investigation.

Want to be a philanthropist? Do it in a way that you don't personally profit from. How many of these guys would be contributing if the cameras were not there? If there was no additional commercial benefit to them from all the publicity?

The post I was just about to make.

No yellow wristbands, pink ribbons, what-have-you in my history.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
For me, cancer/cancer awareness has NEVER been about yellow bracelets, or livestrong donations, or Lance Armstrong winning the Tour for that matter.

It has ALWAYS been about standing by your loved one, doing whatever you can to help them fight the good fight, and being unselfish enough to travel every step of that journey with them.

The same is true for heart disease, stroke, diabetes, addiction, mental illness, etc. There are too many afflictions to devote a colored bracelet or lapel pin. It's certainly more than 28 million people.

TRENDING THREADS