• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The diminutive Bjorg Lambrecht thread *** R.I.P.***

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Spceulation is useless but what I gather he was still in the peloton and probably collided with somebody or something causing him to go off road, at the most unfortunate part. Complete freak accident

FFS, of course he collided with somebody.
The guy died because of his injuries not by heart failure or what others said in here. It would be totally strange to just fall in a straight line so heavily as he.

Reast in peace, Bjorg!

Re: Re:

pink_jersey said:
FFS, of course he collided with somebody.
The guy died because of his injuries not by heart failure or what others said in here. It would be totally strange to just fall in a straight line so heavily as he.

Reast in peace, Bjorg!
Don't want to add any speculation but the reason why we do not see more bad accidents like this is that riders are usually able to control their fall and coordinate their movement at least a bit, hence they suffer broken wrists, elbows, collarbones (shoulders), knee caps, i.e. the parts of your body you use to expose to the ground or raise against obstacles in order to protect yourself. Of course considering their speed you do not stop your fall just by raising your hand so therefore you see broken ribs and collapsed lungs and ruptured spleens and concussions. But if you cannot protect your torso from direct hit with such devastating effects as in this tragic accident, you may start asking - was it really just terribly bad luck, or was he no longer in control of his body?

But for this very moment it really does not matter and it is in any case too early to expect any new information clarifying the reasons.

This is more speculation, but based on what we heard. I can't remember where i read it, maybe it was posted by someone in this thread, or i read it elsewhere. But supposedly a Polish rider who wished to remain anonymous said Bjorg was signaling to the team car, right before the accident. That could mean he was having an issue that was already related to the crash that would happen moments later.
Or it could mean he was holding one hand up and looking backwards, or having one hand on his communicator and looking down (since those are usually under the shirt). Then, the race doctor said supposedly somebody rode into him or his handlebar which could explain why he lost control over his bike so easily if he had only one hand on his handlebar.

According to Pieter Serry, conditions were ok. Peloton was riding +/- 40k/h slightly uphill, weather not too bad, peloton stretched out.

Really shocked to read this utterly tragic news this morning. Such a promising young talent but really no good person living a healthy life with talent and purpose deserves to die so young.

RIP and my thoughts are with his family, friends and countrymen and women.

Stage 4 is neutralized and ridden as a tribute to Bjorg with Lotto Soudal riding in the front. Mood is very quiet, somber and sad. :(
Commissaire's car has black flags instead of red.

ThpS8OR.jpg

HUGajqj.png

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
This is more speculation, but based on what we heard. I can't remember where i read it, maybe it was posted by someone in this thread, or i read it elsewhere. But supposedly a Polish rider who wished to remain anonymous said Bjorg was signaling to the team car, right before the accident. That could mean he was having an issue that was already related to the crash that would happen moments later.
Or it could mean he was holding one hand up and looking backwards, or having one hand on his communicator and looking down (since those are usually under the shirt). Then, the race doctor said supposedly somebody rode into him or his handlebar which could explain why he lost control over his bike so easily if he had only one hand on his handlebar.

According to Pieter Serry, conditions were ok. Peloton was riding +/- 40k/h slightly uphill, weather not too bad, peloton stretched out.

Of course speculation and curiosity is inevitable...and i have to agree with earlier comment that it is extremely rare for the torso to take the full force of such a devastating impact in a crash of this nature, its an instinctive and almost uncontrollable reflex to use the arms or any possible contortion of the limbs to protect yourself and cushion the impact to some extent, which does lead one to wonder wether he was fully conscious and with normal reflex function at the point of the crash.

Regardless, its a terrible accident/combination of circumstances beyond words. RIP young man...

Regarding his fatal injuries it sounds much like he wasn't on his bike when he hit that concrete culvert. That makes me think he might have crashed into bike on the ground, was thrown from his saddle and flew to the concrete culvert fatally.

The team doctor shared some more information about the cause of his death. I realize not everyone will like to read that sort of information so I'll put it in spoiler tags

Two days after the crash and the passing of Bjorg Lambrecht, team doctor Maarten Meirhaeghe can provide more information.
“Bjorg died from a big liver laceration which caused a massive internal hemorrhage. As a consequence, Bjorg suffered a cardiac arrest. Bjorg had the biggest stroke of bad luck that was possible by the way he crashed. With such internal hemorrhages, a miracle is needed, a miracle which he wasn’t given… The place and the time did not influence the consequences. Even if such trauma would have happened inside a hospital, chances of a bad outcome are real.”

The team doctor shared some more information about the cause of his death. I realize not everyone will like to read that sort of information so I'll put it in spoiler tags

Two days after the crash and the passing of Bjorg Lambrecht, team doctor Maarten Meirhaeghe can provide more information.
“Bjorg died from a big liver laceration which caused a massive internal hemorrhage. As a consequence, Bjorg suffered a cardiac arrest. Bjorg had the biggest stroke of bad luck that was possible by the way he crashed. With such internal hemorrhages, a miracle is needed, a miracle which he wasn’t given… The place and the time did not influence the consequences. Even if such trauma would have happened inside a hospital, chances of a bad outcome are real.”

Thanks. So he never had a chance. So, so horrible.

TRENDING THREADS