• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The diminutive Bjorg Lambrecht thread *** R.I.P.***

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thoughtless ? Please explain.

Believe me. With decades of experience I think I can properly assess the qualities of young riders.

As I wrote. A talented young rider (as you prove with examples). But certainly not of Pogacar's level, probably not of Bernal's level either. A good climber, but not a top climber. Also too few time trial capacities. A potential top ten rider of major stage races. To win tough one day races like Liège or Lombardia (after a solo, because not a sprinter) his engine was also a bit too light.

It is a well-known phenomenon that after his death a talented person is valued more and more by some. But that is not based on objective facts.

Yes thoughtless.
With decades of experience you should know some riders develop faster then others and usually the older you get, the bigger your engine gets.
It's impossible to say if he would have ever won LBL or a stage race, but it's also impossible to say he wouldn't.

Yes thoughtless.
With decades of experience you should know some riders develop faster then others and usually the older you get, the bigger your engine gets.
It's impossible to say if he would have ever won LBL or a stage race, but it's also impossible to say he wouldn't.
That is not a argument. The other competitors are also getting older and stronger. And there are always new young riders who show more talent at a young age than when Lambrecht was that age. So yes, you can only look at the level that Lambrecht had before his death.

That is not a argument. The other competitors are also getting older and stronger. And there are always new young riders who show more talent at a young age than when Lambrecht was that age. So yes, you can only look at the level that Lambrecht had before his death.
Yet you compare him to riders AFTER they had the opportunity to develop. If you want to compare him at the level he had when he was 21-22 and before he was able to mature as a rider, then do so with riders before they had that chance as well. Then only Evenepoel, Bernal and Pogacar are clearly ahead at that age. Maybe Ayuso, but that remains to be seen as of yet. So you are talking about the absolute ''freaks'' of the last few years. But because he is not of that level, he would not be able to win anything worthwhile? So basically the entire peloton should just forfait when any of those riders start.

Yet you compare him to riders AFTER they had the opportunity to develop. If you want to compare him at the level he had when he was 21-22 and before he was able to mature as a rider, then do so with riders before they had that chance as well. Then only Evenepoel, Bernal and Pogacar are clearly ahead at that age. Maybe Ayuso, but that remains to be seen as of yet. So you are talking about the absolute ''freaks'' of the last few years. But because he is not of that level, he would not be able to win anything worthwhile? So basically the entire peloton should just forfait when any of those riders start.

There are and have been quite a few freshman pros who had better results and wins at a younger age. Don't forget that Lambrecht would already be 22 years old or was as a freshman pro. Which of course does not mean that they would all have become better than Lambrecht at the age of 22. We also don't know how Lambrecht would have grown. So I stand by my position. A talented rider, who probably wouldn't have become a top rider.

Furthermore, this is a pointless discussion, because he is no longer there.

Meanwhile, Jarrad Drizners has dedicated his win in the KoM in Poland to Bjorg. Drizners himself almost died from a lacerated liver at the UAE Tour earlier this year...

Ung Lotto-rytter dedikerer bjergtrøje til a... | Feltet.dk

Lotto-Soudal, Jarrad Drizners porta a casa una maglia dal Giro di Polonia cinque mesi dopo aver rischiato la vita per una caduta: "Devo ringraziare la squadra" - SpazioCiclismo (cyclingpro.net)

(Sorry, couldn't find a link in English, so here are some in Danish and Italian.)

Meanwhile, Jarrad Drizners has dedicated his win in the KoM in Poland to Bjorg. Drizners himself almost died from a lacerated liver at the UAE Tour earlier this year...

Ung Lotto-rytter dedikerer bjergtrøje til a... | Feltet.dk

Lotto-Soudal, Jarrad Drizners porta a casa una maglia dal Giro di Polonia cinque mesi dopo aver rischiato la vita per una caduta: "Devo ringraziare la squadra" - SpazioCiclismo (cyclingpro.net)

(Sorry, couldn't find a link in English, so here are some in Danish and Italian.)
I find this a little odd. He himself says he didn't know Lambrecht personally, then why "dedicate" something to someone that died tragically three years ago?

Furthermore, this is a pointless discussion, because he is no longer there.
I won"t disagree, so why did you start it? As i said, he could best be compared to an Alaphilippe or Higuita or somewhere in between. Neither of those set the world ablaze at the age of 21 either. So claiming he would not have been able to become a top rider or him never being able to win a major race, is indeed pointless and unfounded.

I won"t disagree, so why did you start it? As i said, he could best be compared to an Alaphilippe or Higuita or somewhere in between. Neither of those set the world ablaze at the age of 21 either. So claiming he would not have been able to become a top rider or him never being able to win a major race, is indeed pointless and unfounded.

Then I can say the same about your many formal statements about still alive riders . Indeed pointless and unfounded.

By the way. You started the discussion friday. Then I reacted on a statement of Skijumper Roglic fan.

But I have to apologize. I should never have written anything about Lambrecht on the "Lambrecht thread". Clearly the wrong place according to some enlightened minds.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS