• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The European season starts: GP d'Ouverture & Étoile de Bessèges

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
1- Samuel DUMOULIN (Cofidis)
2- Marco MARCATO (Vacansoleil-DCM)
3- Arthur VICHOT (FDJ)
4- Jérémy GALLAND
5- Davide MALACARNE
6- Romain HARDY
7- Juien GUAY
8- Mickael CHEREL
9- Peter SERRY
10- Bert DE WALLE
11- Rémy DI GREGORIO
12- Romzin BARDET
13- David LE LAY

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
1- Samuel DUMOULIN (Cofidis)
2- Marco MARCATO (Vacansoleil-DCM)
3- Arthur VICHOT (FDJ)
4- Jérémy GALLAND
5- Davide MALACARNE
6- Romain HARDY
7- Juien GUAY
8- Mickael CHEREL
9- Peter SERRY
10- Bert DE WALLE
11- Rémy DI GREGORIO
12- Romzin BARDET
13- David LE LAY

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Traksel in the top 20. Interesting. After a nerve went dead in his hand last year I thought he would never come back at a decent level.
Don't think that's a career threatening injury? Breschel is currently riding around with a robo hand, kept in one piece by bolts and screws.

Traksel has had every possibly injury under the sun though, that's true.

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Dumoulin was clearly the favourite in that group, yes i know that Marcato is the man of the 2nd places, but today he did the best place he can do sprinting against a guy like Dumoulin.

Bardet was the best young in his first race as a pro, 12th place, nice.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
So I did go to see the race and it was pretty fun. I was positively impressed by the amount of people, nice to see so many come out. Last year I went to see the ITT of Paris-Nice and there were a lot less. That was during the week though IIRC.

Anyways, what you might not know is that Di Gregorio set Dumoulin up for his victory, he attacked 1 or 2 km from the finish to force the others to chase. The sprint was launched from a long way out (it was a really long, straight finish), and Dumoulin easily took it.

Also there was an attack from Mickael Cherel and one other rider that sounded like it could have stayed away. All in all it must have been some pretty interesting racing with attacks flying left and right, at least that's what they said over the radio. They said France 3 was going to do a report on it at 19:00 but I missed it ... maybe it'll be online in the next days.

Afterwards it was a free for all in the team-bus section. I'd never quite experienced that, usually there are at least some parts blocked off but here there was nothing. Some riders who arrived later and had their bus at the back of the line had a hard time to get there through the crowd. I saw both of the luxembourgish riders, who both did pretty well, so overall a good day. I also saw Rémy Di Gregorio, man he has a cute girlfriend! Niko Eekhout also rode by me I think.

Here are some photos:

Probably unknown by most people on the forum, Daniel Mangeas is the famous "voice of the Tour", announcer of pretty much any race in France.

DSC00664.jpg

Guest of honour, Raymond Poulydor:

DSC00667.jpg

The finish. Sorry I pressed a little too early but you can already see Dumoulin start celebrating:

DSC00668.jpg

Bobbie Traksel leading home the second group:

DSC00669.jpg

Nice win by Dumoulin. Marcarto already racking up his points that will see him get over a 1000 CQ points. Nice performance by Vichot ( i wanted him in my CQ team but... ) and Bardet in his first pro race ( who i closely monitor ).

How come Pinot lost 6 seconds???

greenedge said:
His team ended up winning and his attacks probably dropped people like Romain Feillu. Cofidis had two cards to play as simple as that.

Rough and short translation from Taaramae´s blog: " Already before the race I was pretty sure that I dont want to sleep in the bunch. Also, we had a joker (Gregorio) for last 1 km, so there was nothing to loose…

It was quite cold and I was dressed like an eskimo: leggings, thick gloves, two hats, long shirts, short sleeved shirt and long sweat shirt and more. After the start was given I watched the game for 2 kms, then decided to attack. Five men followed, but we were reeled in. Put another attack and for a while I was alone… At the top of the hill 15 men were ahaed, on descent I got about 15 second advantage, but soon after 5 other guys joined. So we raced 1-2minutes ahead of peloton.
After first mountaintop I attacked on descent and got about 30 seconds. 10 km´s I was alone, then was joined by 4 other guys.

Afterwards I helped Samuel as possible. For exampüle I gave him one gel. 15 kilometers before finish exaxtly the same spot as last year, I took it easy.

For some reason I was pretty sure that Sam will win, and it went well. He even thanked me, because during last training camp he did not want to come here. He told that course is too hard for him, but I persuaded to think over and so, here we are…

I was very pleased with the event itself, form is better than previous year."