• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The fine art of the veiled doping admission-non-admission

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 11, 2011
21
0
0
mwbyrd said:
snip

Interesting how no one if flat out denying doping right now. Guess they are thinking something big is about to be exposed....
Exactly. That is one of the reasons that I started this thread... Apart from the black humour of it all, of course. It represents a significant shift in rhetoric.

That Perierro response is a timely and definitive example of what we are hearing a lot of now.
 
Dec 30, 2009
3,187
0
0
Frank on that bank transfer:

According to the press release, Schleck confirmed the transfer, but said that it was for "training advice by experts who presumably worked with some of the biggest names in the sport," and that he "never used or attempted use of a prohibited substance or a prohibited method."
 
May 5, 2009
674
1
0
Cobblestoned said:
"I have never ever cheated other riders in my life. That is a fact." - Jan Ullrich :)
Yeah, good old Ulle nailed it. For me, one of the best and most honest confessions about what's going on in this sport. For those who have years and want to listen. Along with his 1+1...
 
Jun 28, 2009
218
0
0
hrotha said:
To be fair that's an issue with the translation. "Tranquilo" is a much more common word in Spanish than "tranquil" in English, and their meanings don't overlap completely. It sounds a lot better in Spanish, and it simply means you're not losing any sleep over this. A better translation would be "not worried."
I still love the number of comments riders make that contain the word "tranquil" and "calm". Makes me think the next time I am late on a project at work and I am asked about it I will reply...."No worries mate, I am calm". ;)
 
Apr 13, 2010
1,199
0
0
I think with Pereiro's - shall we call it - defense another much more pressing question arises:

Who's worse at lying - Pereiro or Lim?
 
May 11, 2009
186
0
0
When Alex Zülle came back from his ban in 1999 he declared that he "would be as clean as anyone else in the peloton." Classic line.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
R.0.t.O said:
When Alex Zülle came back from his ban in 1999 he declared that he "would be as clean as anyone else in the peloton." Classic line.
Floyd should have used that for his 2006 defence:D
 
Dec 7, 2010
4,453
0
0
jae2460 said:
Al Gore: I never inhaled...

Bill Clinton: I did not have sexual relations with that woman...
I'm pretty sure those both belong solely to Billy Boy.

Spank226 said:
And not to defend GH, but...I

Granted, at 13 and 14 he was already like 6' and had a mustache (and we used to joke that his wife and kids were on the sidelines cheering for him!) so was more physically mature than his competition.
So you reckon he had 'naturally' high levels of testosterone? :D
 
Dec 7, 2010
4,453
0
0
Allen Lim answers question at the ToC

"I would never work for an athlete who I knew to be taking performance-enhancing drugs."

Q:Are you surprised by the amount of drugs he [Floyd] was taking at one point...being so close, how did you miss that?

A:I don't know..yeah...it's crazy, eh? Well, I'll leave it at that for now, guys. Thank you.

It's only 1:40 in length. Do enjoy. :)
http://video.bicycling.com/video/ATOC-Allen-Lim-addresses-allega

He's not very good at this game. :rolleyes:
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,083
0
0
eatyourvitamins said:
Exactly. That is one of the reasons that I started this thread... Apart from the black humour of it all, of course. It represents a significant shift in rhetoric.

That Perierro response is a timely and definitive example of what we are hearing a lot of now.
Cant be a good time to be a pro rider at all. With no one knowing just how far the tenticles of the feds have spread and the implications of European authorities sharing information it`s fair to say many, many, will looking over there shoulders and wondering if there *** is covered.
To go for the flat out denial at this stage could well backfire in just a few weeks or months.
One can only imagine the paranoia! :rolleyes:
 
Here's the latest one:


“I know that Floyd had problems with the Mercury team,” said Ochowicz. “I don’t recall that conversation per se. I was the president of USA Cycling at that time and Hein Verbruggen was president of the international governing body so I had weekly discussions with him about hundreds of things over the years, so I can’t specifically remember that incident, no.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/ochowicz-on-landis-allegations-no-favors-from-uci_158362
 
Apr 7, 2009
173
0
0
Darryl Webster said:
Snip

One can only imagine the paranoia! :rolleyes:
And some excited ones, CVV, Evans, Van Garden, etc. (Provided they and a lot of others are clean - my assumption)
 
thehog said:
Here's the latest one:


“I know that Floyd had problems with the Mercury team,” said Ochowicz. “I don’t recall that conversation per se. I was the president of USA Cycling at that time and Hein Verbruggen was president of the international governing body so I had weekly discussions with him about hundreds of things over the years, so I can’t specifically remember that incident, no.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/ochowicz-on-landis-allegations-no-favors-from-uci_158362
I get the feeling they're all worried Floyd wired them.
 
Aug 3, 2009
3,045
0
0
thehog said:
Here's the latest one:


“I know that Floyd had problems with the Mercury team,” said Ochowicz. “I don’t recall that conversation per se. I was the president of USA Cycling at that time and Hein Verbruggen was president of the international governing body so I had weekly discussions with him about hundreds of things over the years, so I can’t specifically remember that incident, no.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/ochowicz-on-landis-allegations-no-favors-from-uci_158362
Right, because Floyd was the ONLY guy who had a problem with Wordin and Mercury.

If I'm not mistaken, Wordin is STILL banned from holding any USAC licenses.
 
But he did go to USADA and Pat you call him a liar.


With regards to Landis, he says, “What I don’t accept is his motivation. If he wants to help the sport, which is what he initially said, he should have come privately to the UCI, WADA, USADA (US Anti-Doping Agency), and sat down with all of us and said, ‘Look, I’ve done this and this, here’s how it’s done, here’s how I can help you.’”

Why would he have preferred a private meet? “I’m not trying to hide anything. If people need to be sanctioned or if there are criminal proceedings that need to be brought against anybody, then let’s do it. But the authorities should be able to do that in a quiet way outside of the glare of the media. And when they come to their decision, then it can become a media thing.”

Clearly it is problematic if one federation is responsible for both policing and promoting the sport, even more so if it is commercial in nature and dependant on sponsors. Can an organisation honestly perform both roles?

“I’ve never tried to hide the fact that there’s a doping culture in cycling, I’ve said that time and time again,” McQuaid vehemently insists. “I’ve said that I’m determined to get rid of that culture and that’s what I’m working on,” he adds, referring to his other major objective as UCI president.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/8296152/Pat-McQuaid-profile-of-the-president-of-the-International-Cycling-Union.html
 
Oct 25, 2010
2,965
2
0
thehog said:
Here's the latest one:


“I know that Floyd had problems with the Mercury team,” said Ochowicz. “I don’t recall that conversation per se. I was the president of USA Cycling at that time and Hein Verbruggen was president of the international governing body so I had weekly discussions with him about hundreds of things over the years, so I can’t specifically remember that incident, no.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/ochowicz-on-landis-allegations-no-favors-from-uci_158362
OCH, that is total BS. I distinctly remember the Mercury non-payment debacle like it was yesterday. It was a big deal then, and everyone knew about it. You were involved, because it was your JOB to be involved. You did nothing. You literally did nothing. You sat on your hands and did what Hein told you all to do. Nothing.

And not only did you do nothing to help these guys get paid, you deliberately interfered in their (the riders) attempts to abandon the team and find other deals with other teams. You and your organization force these guys to keep riding for Mercury for free.

You were disgusting then, and you're disgusting now.
 
Sep 20, 2010
63
0
0
BotanyBay said:
OCH, that is total BS. I distinctly remember the Mercury non-payment debacle like it was yesterday. It was a big deal then, and everyone knew about it. You were involved, because it was your JOB to be involved. You did nothing. You literally did nothing. You sat on your hands and did what Hein told you all to do. Nothing.

And not only did you do nothing to help these guys get paid, you deliberately interfered in their (the riders) attempts to abandon the team and find other deals with other teams. You and your organization force these guys to keep riding for Mercury for free.

You were disgusting then, and you're disgusting now.
Doc Och's bluster is disgusting. Non-payment is despicable. Doping is another topic completely.
 
Oct 11, 2010
740
0
0
"I achieved all my results with a clear conscience" (or something to that effect).

- Pantani

"Never knowingly took drugs"

- Virenque
 
Jan 18, 2010
245
0
0
or JV

JV's had some rather nuanced replies that have been discussed at length.

"I felt okay. I wasn't ecstatic," he demurred. "Well, for sure, it was the best form of my life as a bike rider, but I wasn't... I was just sort of... I will leave it at this; I wasn't overly pleased with that victory. It was interesting to me. It answered a lot of questions. But it wasn't the most ecstatic moment of my life by any means."
not sure if they qualify as humor or not
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,108
0
0
BotanyBay said:
OCH, that is total BS. I distinctly remember the Mercury non-payment debacle like it was yesterday. It was a big deal then, and everyone knew about it. You were involved, because it was your JOB to be involved. You did nothing. You literally did nothing. You sat on your hands and did what Hein told you all to do. Nothing.

And not only did you do nothing to help these guys get paid, you deliberately interfered in their (the riders) attempts to abandon the team and find other deals with other teams. You and your organization force these guys to keep riding for Mercury for free.

You were disgusting then, and you're disgusting now.
Lost in all of this is that Horner didn't play ball either, got the same speech from Big Tex, and ended up getting black balled for a number of years as a result.

Of course, Horner finally learned to play ball years later when his other contract options ran out and he was facing another return to a crappy domestic team in his mid-thirties. He planted his nose firmly in Big Tex' chamois and got a little job security. All he had to do were a couple of tearful "I love Lance" interviews.

He's still looking for his pride around the roads of France.
 
May 14, 2010
4,833
2
0
131313 said:
Lost in all of this is that Horner didn't play ball either, got the same speech from Big Tex, and ended up getting black balled for a number of years as a result.

Of course, Horner finally learned to play ball years later when his other contract options ran out and he was facing another return to a crappy domestic team in his mid-thirties. He planted his nose firmly in Big Tex' chamois and got a little job security. All he had to do were a couple of tearful "I love Lance" interviews.

He's still looking for his pride around the roads of France.
veganrob said:
+1 Horner really does deserve his own thread.
Yeah, I want to know more about Horner. He seems to truly love Lance, and like he'd lay his life on the line for him. What's the story?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts