• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The foundation of Team Radio Shack begin to fall into place?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:
Okay, it's been reported that "Classics" riders Thomas Vaitkus and Gregory Rast are going to Team Radio Shack. First off, is this just another "rumor" story? Or have they, in fact, joined the team? Secondly Thomas Who, and Gregory Who? Like in, what impact have they truly had so far in ANY kind of racing, Classics or otherwise. Remember when the Schleck Bros. were headed
to The Shack? Or when Brice Feillu was going to sign with The Shack?
I really wish our news sources could give us some REAL news. But in the meantime, lets start keeping an eye out on the riders that will comprise the next great team, that is applying for a Pro Tour Licence for 2010.

You mean Skil-Shimano?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Are these guys signing up with a 'promise' that there will be a license for them to be able to race, or is it again a media frenzy to boost publicity ?

racerralph said:
Okay, it's been reported that "Classics" riders Thomas Vaitkus and Gregory Rast are going to Team Radio Shack. First off, is this just another "rumor" story? Or have they, in fact, joined the team? Secondly Thomas Who, and Gregory Who? Like in, what impact have they truly had so far in ANY kind of racing, Classics or otherwise. Remember when the Schleck Bros. were headed
I really wish our news sources could give us some REAL news. But in the meantime, lets start keeping an eye out on the riders that will comprise the next great team, that is applying for a Pro Tour Licence for 2010.

You do know that transfers aren't allowed to be discussed before september 1st right? It's a rule thats' not 100% enforced but it's the reason why there is not that much news on transfers.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
You do know that transfers aren't allowed to be discussed before september 1st right? It's a rule thats' not 100% enforced but it's the reason why there is not that much news on transfers.

Yes, I am absolutely aware of that rule. So then maybe the news sources ought to just lay off those kinds of (non)stories until there is the ability to confirm any transfers. Also as you have cited it's not always enforced. Which is why we know that Petacchi will be with Lampre next year, and the Feillu Bros will be with Vacansoleil next year. My point is not that I'm anxious for transfer news. It's that the News sources are reporting half baked, "rumor" stories, that are still nothing more than hearsay. We don't need that kind of reporting. The news sources seem to want us to believe rumors as if they were fact. Until they change. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of that kind of reporting. It's hack. Sorry,again.:cool:

May 15, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:

I think Bruyneel and Lance, Inc. just want to sign and take as many riders from Astana as possible, so that Astana will desperately need to sign SOMEONE to complete its roster, the absolute majority of good riders are on the contracts or head to teams like Sky. I think in the end Astana will have Vino, Contador and a bunch of relatively unknown riders, therefore would be much, much weaker than this year. Rumours say that Astana will sign a few Italian riders, like Tiralongo and also Wladimir Miholjevic from LeakyGas.

As for Rast and Vaitkus,they are very good domestiques, Rast was included in both Astana 2007 and 2009 Tour squads, I am kinda doubtful of their classics abilities, both can make Top-20 at Paris-Roubaix, but nothing more.

Vaitkus is an OK sprinter, won a stage in the Giro a few years ago.

Delicato said:
I think Bruyneel and Lance, Inc. just want to sign and take as many riders from Astana as possible, so that Astana will desperately need to sign SOMEONE to complete its roster, the absolute majority of good riders are on the contracts or head to teams like Sky. I think in the end Astana will have Vino, Contador and a bunch of relatively unknown riders, therefore would be much, much weaker than this year. Rumours say that Astana will sign a few Italian riders, like Tiralongo and also Wladimir Miholjevic from LeakyGas.

As for Rast and Vaitkus,they are very good domestiques, Rast was included in both Astana 2007 and 2009 Tour squads, I am kinda doubtful of their classics abilities, both can make Top-20 at Paris-Roubaix, but nothing more.

Vaitkus is an OK sprinter, won a stage in the Giro a few years ago.

Bruyneel is still under contract with Astana until the end of 2010.

Publicus said:

I believe I read that Bruyneel had an agreement that he didn't have to have Vino in his team. I have no idea of the validity of that, but it could explain why his future plans may have "opened up" at the same time as Vino is headed to the Vuelta for Astana.

Hugh Januss said:
I believe I read that Bruyneel had an agreement that he didn't have to have Vino in his team. I have no idea of the validity of that, but it could explain why his future plans may have "opened up" at the same time as Vino is headed to the Vuelta for Astana.

Dunno. I find it odd that the title of the article confirms him for Team Shack, but the body of the story says that he hasn't negotiated a release from his contract with Astana. Seems like he and Contador are in the same boat.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Dunno. I find it odd that the title of the article confirms him for Team Shack, but the body of the story says that he hasn't negotiated a release from his contract with Astana. Seems like he and Contador are in the same boat.

'cept none of the remaining riders want to race for Bruyneel. JB is much less desirous to keep around for the Kazakhs than is AC.

Publicus said:

I was trying to raise the point (obviously entirely speculative) that the negotiation is done but they are waiting to announce anything, maybe until after the 5th of September.

Hugh Januss said:
I was trying to raise the point (obviously entirely speculative) that the negotiation is done but they are waiting to announce anything, maybe until after the 5th of September.

Maybe that's the case. Still think it would be funny if Astana threw a wrench in everyone's plan. I suspect Astana will fold before the 2009 season starts.

scribe said:
'cept none of the remaining riders want to race for Bruyneel. JB is much less desirous to keep around for the Kazakhs than is AC.

I'm sure that HJ's contention is probably correct--that a deal is already in place and they will announce his departure after September 1st. AC on the other hand is going to have to sweat it out until the UCI pulls Astana's license.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
I'm sure that HJ's contention is probably correct--that a deal is already in place and they will announce his departure after September 1st. AC on the other hand is going to have to sweat it out until the UCI pulls Astana's license.

Geez, what's Vino gonna do?:D

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

That would be in UCI's best interest, when you think of it that way re:AC.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Sigh..... oh boy, I just finished reading the Lance confirms Bruyneel with Radio Shack article. All I can say is, he better get to next years TdF in better shape than this year, because all that inter-team tension, scolding, smirking twittering, division, really held the winning margin much closer than if Contador had been a real rival, like he will be next year. Boy, I hope they're working overtime to assemble this stellar team. Because with Lance, Checu and Flandis this group is currently shaping up to be rather geriatric.:D But then again, it's all hearsay....

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
If Contador manages onto a good Spanish team, it is gonna be a real war inside the peloton. Forget about the end of the stages for excitement.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

I think you've already read the article here, the Kazakhs and Bruyneel had the mutual agreement between them, I heard a rumor that he said that if they want to fire him, he must be paid a year salary.

The Astana team manager will be presented later this year, in November-December, AFAIK, the KCF (their cycling federation) say that it can even be Kazakh manager.

TRENDING THREADS