• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lifetime ban would be ridiculous
If it had been his 1st, 2nd or 3rd offense, then yeah. It would be better for everyone if he'd just leave the sport on his own volition.

Debusschere on Moscon:

"It’s not only this incident, there’s many more incidents. If you ask around in the peloton about how their relation is with him, then ninety per cent will react negatively.

"Obviously, there’s more respect in the peloton for riders from the major teams. You give them some space. That's the case if Quick-Step is passing by, but also Ineos. It doesn’t mean that one has to start pushing. There’s a big difference when you compare him with someone like Luke Rowe, who will always be as courteous as one can be in a peloton. With Moscon, that’s totally not the case. That his personality and that will not change anymore."

Just looked it up and the longest ban not for doping in any sport is 18 months for a rugby player gouging ( second offence), which is more cold-blooded and could cause blindness. Its also only his 2cnd proven offence of violence. Do think he deserves a lengthy ban but life is excessive

Moscon is a wasted talent at Ineos - He'll have no shortage of suitors when he is out of contract - Though he needs to get his head right.

Scary part is... imagine if he got fired by INEOS, and ended up on some smaller (Italian) team not at all equipped to handle someone who pretty clearly has issues, without getting his head right first…
Too bad there isn't a team out there specifically created to put focus on mental health issues...

Just looked it up and the longest ban not for doping in any sport is 18 months for a rugby player gouging ( second offence), which is more cold-blooded and could cause blindness. Its also only his 2cnd proven offence of violence. Do think he deserves a lengthy ban but life is excessive
The problem with Moscon is the fact that he's at the 4th offence, if it would have been the first probably the DSQ from the race would have been the only effect considering that for the first offence you never see suspensions when there are punches or similar things and even when Bos attempted to kill Impey thay gave him only a month. Anyway i really can't see UCI giving a lifetime ban, probably will be only a couple of months, maybe six, at maximum, but very unlikely, until the end of the season.

To me it looks like he clearly has anger issues, it's more than him just being a scumbag. Nibali has actually said before that he disliked him when he was only racing against him, but then he talked a bit more with him when they were selected for the national team before the Innsbruck WC and has admited that he had the wrong idea. The guy clearly has some problems when he's in competition mode and needs to solve them. Until now the only one that has managed to handle him well has been Cassani with the Italian NT.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
if he didn't ride for Ineos the big bad Anglo Saxons that they are, i doubt many of you would even care what he gets up to

Probably.

He reacted badly to having a crash. Now people who have never met him are demanding that he loses his career on the basis of a 10 second video because they need to rage against someone. Social media pile-ons are worse than a petty scrap in a bike race. People have flaws and if you are raging strangers on the internet I am guessing you have more than most, so just try to be kind.

Maybe he should ride for Astana. They're Teflon as far as criticism is concerned - remember Lopez, people cheered that.

Last edited:
I don't think it necessarily a mental health issue if Moscon is full of rage

Some people have bad attitude and behaviour and that is the way they are ..

All well and good to say he is quiet off the bike when on the bike is where he needs to behave

I felt the Reichenbach incident was the worst as he deliberately tried to knock a competitor off his bike on a decent and for what ? He could have been seriously injured or worse

Whatever punishment or training he got after his previous incidents didn't work ...

I dont want to ruin his career by calling for a total ban but he needs to take responsibility for his actions

And Parker ..he has form and many people have worse crashes but dont throw bikes at people's heads. nor try to knock riders off their bikes or make racist remarks or hang on to a carat the Worlds

You are very quick to dismiss all this and I think you seem to be doing what you are accusing others of...showing bias .....becasue he IS an ineos rider

TRENDING THREADS