• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With Pippo_San on this. From the pictures it does not look intentional, more like he tosses the bike to the side to get it out of the way. The dsq was maybe ok but similar reactions after crashes are pretty common. To give other sanctions would be too harsh I think.

Anyway it seems to me in this peculiar case things are getting a little over your head guys. From the video it looks to me he just fell of his bike and with anger threw away the bike of another rider which unfortunately fell over Debusschere.
It doesn't look intentional or anything, I guess he was just full of adrenaline, even the same Debusschere played down a little this incident. Let's not get over ourselves. He's been a bit of an as**ole but that's that.

I do sort of agree, he didn’t look and aim to hit a rider on purpose, he did just lash out. However he should still face punishment for his actions, it’s behaviour we should not be seeing.

The issue is the ongoing problems with Moscon and the quite obvious anger issue he has. If nothing is done about this latest incident, it probably won’t be long until something else happens.

With all the previous drama also noted, it wouldn’t surprise me if a ban and fine follows, but I don’t think the ban would be for the whole season, perhaps more ‘take six weeks off, and go and get some professional help’ type of thing.

I do sort of agree, he didn’t look and aim to hit a rider on purpose, he did just lash out. However he should still face punishment for his actions, it’s behaviour we should not be seeing.

The issue is the ongoing problems with Moscon and the quite obvious anger issue he has. If nothing is done about this latest incident, it probably won’t be long until something else happens.

With all the previous drama also noted, it wouldn’t surprise me if a ban and fine follows, but I don’t think the ban would be for the whole season, perhaps more ‘take six weeks off, and go and get some professional help’ type of thing.

I've watched the clip several times, I'm pretty certain he looks straight at Debusschere and throws the bike at him. They stood up from the same place and Debusschere was in front of him and to his left. I don't think there's any way he could claim he didn't know he was there.

This was discussed upthread, but the problem is that Moscon has needed to be on his best behavior since the Reza incident. And he has proven again and again that he cannot control his anger. Seen in isolation, the bike toss wouldn't have been so bad, although almost any rider would have and should have been DQ'd. But he'll probably get a suspension, too.

I suspect if he could just learn to "count to 10" before reacting everything will be fine. But easier said than done -- it's something I work on when my teenage kids get under my skin...

I've watched the clip several times, I'm pretty certain he looks straight at Debusschere and throws the bike at him. They stood up from the same place and Debusschere was in front of him and to his left. I don't think there's any way he could claim he didn't know he was there.

I don’t see that, but you may be right, there is a chance he knew he was there. Then again, when the red mist descended, there’s every chance he had no idea who was around him and his instinct was to lash out in anger.

Completely unacceptable in any case, of course.

I don’t see that, but you may be right, there is a chance he knew he was there. Then again, when the red mist descended, there’s every chance he had no idea who was around him and his instinct was to lash out in anger.

Completely unacceptable in any case, of course.
I don't think he necessarily knew who the rider was, but I'm certain he knew there was a rider there and was throwing the bike at him. As he bends down and grabs the bike he turns his head left and looks straight at Debusschere. He'd also just stepped over the Lotto rider on the floor, so even if he claims he didn't know Debusschere was there, he was still throwing a bike at another rider.

I mean if I'm driving drunk I'm pretty badly in the wrong even if I'm not really aiming for people.

This year he had a decent amount of bad luck with crashes and punctures:
  • Crashed and broke his wrist before the spring classics after being one of the strongest in Omloop (mainly on the Muur) and missed all of the cobbled classics during the spring
  • At the WC he had a puncture right when Italy started drilling it when Remco attacked the first time and was in a group with Roglic. He wasted lots of energy trying to catch up to the main bunch
  • Yesterday.

To me it looked like his tyre pressure was clearly too high after the bike change, his bike was suddenly jumping around a lot more.
Have I heard/read that they often start the race with higher tire pressure than ideal for the cobbles? Theory being that the 90km of regular roads at the start, and early sectors, will knock the pressure down a few psi, so by the time they hit Arenberg their tires will have softened up a bit.

Have I heard/read that they often start the race with higher tire pressure than ideal for the cobbles? Theory being that the 90km of regular roads at the start, and early sectors, will knock the pressure down a few psi, so by the time they hit Arenberg their tires will have softened up a bit.

In the CN article, he did say that was what happened and that it was difficult to maneouvre the new bike which had the original tire pressure which was a bit higher than what he had accustomed himself to. Quite a nice interview, actually, not too much moaning even if that would have been quite understandable.

In the CN article, he did say that was what happened and that it was difficult to maneouvre the new bike which had the original tire pressure which was a bit higher than what he had accustomed himself to. Quite a nice interview, actually, not too much moaning even if that would have been quite understandable.
Which article? There’s so much in the PR fallout on the front page I don’t know what to click on!

TRENDING THREADS