• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the giant has returned!!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reus is planning to attack the hour record.

Campenaerts isn't exactly getting nervous yet. He said there is still room for improvement, and if he were to do it again, he could still go farther. If Reus manages to beat it (which he doesn't rule out, since he has all the time to prepare for it) with a small margin, he'll try to beat it again. If Reus manages to go 56km, he would simply congratulate him (implying he wouldn't try to beat it since he doesn't think 56km is in the cards for him).

I'm not going to question his innate talent, or what could have been had fate smiled upon him some more throughout his career, but you have to wonder what he's trying to do exactly. He wants to attack the world hour record... and then a month after that statement he enters an ITT of roughly an hour, and he finishes more than 9 minutes behind van Emden, and last of a not exactly stellar field (imagine Dumoulin, Evenepoel, Dennis, van Aert, Campenaerts riding... he could have been down 12 minutes). I didn't see the race, and don't know if he punctured 12 times or crashed 3 times and broke his collarbone, but if this his "what he's worth" right now, i'm afraid he's just going to be making a fool of himself. I assume he's been training for longer than the last month, because he also rode the Dutch nationals ITT back in june (where he finished 35th out of 49 finishers and 6m19s behind van Emden).

I'm not going to question his innate talent, or what could have been had fate smiled upon him some more throughout his career, but you have to wonder what he's trying to do exactly. He wants to attack the world hour record... and then a month after that statement he enters an ITT of roughly an hour, and he finishes more than 9 minutes behind van Emden, and last of a not exactly stellar field (imagine Dumoulin, Evenepoel, Dennis, van Aert, Campenaerts riding... he could have been down 12 minutes). I didn't see the race, and don't know if he punctured 12 times or crashed 3 times and broke his collarbone, but if this his "what he's worth" right now, i'm afraid he's just going to be making a fool of himself. I assume he's been training for longer than the last month, because he also rode the Dutch nationals ITT back in june.

I think it was only 11 punctures.

In the Dutch national ITT he actually finished closer to Van Emden, 6 minutes as opposed to 9. But the Dutch NC was flat and this course was pretty hilly.

So you can say he has not progressed since june. I don't know either what he's trying to do. Apart from having to catch up 3 years of not racing professionally and never having been top since junior period. Seems like a desperate PR stunt to me

I saw the picture on the thread stating the giant had returned and was like “oh no, don’t tell me that guy is posting again.”
This would actually be one of the greatest things, if Ryo was to return, and mark his own return by setting up a thread to hallmark his own greatness. It would be more transparent than the time DAOTEC posted the message about his being banned from one of his sockpuppet accounts.

Anyway, much as I like Kai, and have been a staunch defender of him for years, I really hope he isn't going out there and embarrassing himself. The big problem is, because it's Kai, you actually don't know if he had a Michael Rasmussen 2005 type time trial out there - because that would just be typical of the kind of thing that happens to Kai.

• Haha
Reactions: perico
He'll postpone his attempt till April next year. Exactly 2 years later than Campenaerts' record. Originally the plan was to do it this August.
I'm not going to put any money down on him breaking the record, but i'm curious to see how close he can get.

Last seen Jan 23, 2017. I miss him, Ryo was pretty funny. Aggressive and arrogant but usually wrong.

The forum lost a piece of it's heart when that member suspension appreciation thread was closed.

Perhaps it's finally time to unban the likes of ray j and that guy who used to talk about his pecs a lot, both exceptionally skilled and entertaining trolls.

Seriously, his wife gave a glowing testimony in the greatest thread in forum history;

https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/ray-j-ban.31005/

The forum lost a piece of it's heart when that member suspension appreciation thread was closed.

Perhaps it's finally time to unban the likes of ray j and that guy who used to talk about his pecs a lot, both exceptionally skilled and entertaining trolls.

Seriously, his wife gave a glowing testimony in the greatest thread in forum history;

https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/ray-j-ban.31005/
The forum has lost a lot of heart since those days, The Hitch was another. I didn't always agree with him but I respected his knowledge if not the

occasional essay to set me straight. A staunch Sammy Sanchez fan. There was also this dutch Aussie poster - Timmy Loves Rabo who made a bet to take

a Cadel Avatar for life if he ever won the Tour LOL.

So, they cancelled the whole thing. He won't be trying to break the hour record. I never believed he would be able to do it, but i was kind of curious how close he could get. In a sense i'm sorry he isn't going through with it, not to poke fun, but because it would have been interesting. Maybe more as an experiment.

For someone like me who wasn't around at the time this:
"Ray j has contacted the administration and tried to explain that he was not the sock-puppet"
Is the most amazingly weird opening to a post I have ever seen from anyone or his wife. The sock-puppet sounds like some crazy criminal like Cat Woman or The Riddler

TRENDING THREADS