• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Giro's route is....

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Monte Grappa.

So, where do you have your infos that there will be sterrato from?

From Tuttosport that got the scoop and got most of it right but not everything? That's how the rumour started. And cyclingnews picked it up somehow. Nothing mentioned by Zomegnan, nothing mentioned by RCS or the Gazzetta that there is sterrato on Monte Grappa.

Aprica: I say this one is harder. If anything not sure if maybe the one 94 is tougher. Mortirolo, Aprica, Santa Cristina.

97 was longer and more climbs, but wasn't it the usual flat km before Mazzo? Aprica, down, Tirano, Mazzo? That's what's different this time. Trivigno is a very tough climb on it's own. First 7 Km up to Santa Cristina at over 9%, then 3 km at 6%, steep downhill, minimal flat, up Mortirolo. NOt easy climb up Aprica, down, flat.. What was better in the 97 stage was the mountains before Aprica, Croce Domini, that or Presolana or VIvione would have been cool 2010 as well, but more important is Trivigno. For the first time the Mortirolo comes right after another hard climb. Finish in Aprica or Edolo... I don't mind Aprica. Easy climb yes, but after the Mortirolo nothing is easy. What made the finestrestage in 05 so great? The easy climb up Sestrière. Make the finish after the downhill and everthing changes. You have the battle up Finestre, different one, no Di Luca who drops everybody while Simoni urges him to slow down to keep allies for Sestrieres, you don't have Savoldelli doing maybe the slowest downhill of his career to keep Ardila with him, knowing that he will ride for Van Huffel later on. Same for Aprica, by just stopping in Edolo you have another Zoncolan, give it all, almost all so to be able to do the downhill, but basically all. You'll have to keep something for Aprica or you crack completely. But you still have to make the difference on the Mortirolo because towards Aprica unless you are Basso of 06 you won't drop anybody.

Typical, untypical, I don't call it typical because the second week is just too flat. Yes, they usually have one completely flat stage around there. But as well things like the Faenza stage, Simoni in 03, this year not really. L'Aquila looks too easy, Cesenatico the same. The first week is ok, except the Holland part, not so much because of the stages but mainly because it forces the Giro to have the first rest day after 3 days of racing. But not a typical Giro, because the second week is just too soft and the big mountain stages are all at the end. It has happened before, but more often then not the mountains are more evenly distributed.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The fridge in the blue trees said:
Monte Grappa.

So, where do you have your infos that there will be sterrato from?

The RAI commentator mentioned it during the presentation. It's consolidated gravel, just like the Kronplatz

Aprica: I say this one is harder. If anything not sure if maybe the one 94 is tougher. Mortirolo, Aprica, Santa Cristina.

97 was longer and more climbs, but wasn't it the usual flat km before Mazzo? Aprica, down, Tirano, Mazzo? That's what's different this time. Trivigno is a very tough climb on it's own. First 7 Km up to Santa Cristina at over 9%, then 3 km at 6%, steep downhill, minimal flat, up Mortirolo. NOt easy climb up Aprica, down, flat.. What was better in the 97 stage was the mountains before Aprica, Croce Domini, that or Presolana or VIvione would have been cool 2010 as well, but more important is Trivigno. For the first time the Mortirolo comes right after another hard climb. Finish in Aprica or Edolo... I don't mind Aprica. Easy climb yes, but after the Mortirolo nothing is easy. What made the finestrestage in 05 so great? The easy climb up Sestrière. Make the finish after the downhill and everthing changes. You have the battle up Finestre, different one, no Di Luca who drops everybody while Simoni urges him to slow down to keep allies for Sestrieres, you don't have Savoldelli doing maybe the slowest downhill of his career to keep Ardila with him, knowing that he will ride for Van Huffel later on. Same for Aprica, by just stopping in Edolo you have another Zoncolan, give it all, almost all so to be able to do the downhill, but basically all. You'll have to keep something for Aprica or you crack completely. But you still have to make the difference on the Mortirolo because towards Aprica unless you are Basso of 06 you won't drop anybody.

And there's the thing: The Aprica just isn't "doing" much there. Because, as you said, nobody's going to get dropped there :)

Typical, untypical, I don't call it typical because the second week is just too flat. Yes, they usually have one completely flat stage around there. But as well things like the Faenza stage, Simoni in 03, this year not really. L'Aquila looks too easy, Cesenatico the same. The first week is ok, except the Holland part, not so much because of the stages but mainly because it forces the Giro to have the first rest day after 3 days of racing. But not a typical Giro, because the second week is just too soft and the big mountain stages are all at the end. It has happened before, but more often then not the mountains are more evenly distributed.

Sure, there are small exceptions, but the usual second week tends to be mostly flat.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It's "Fiamme Azzurre", the athletes group of Italian Penitentiary Police.

Most Italian international level athletes in sports that are not professional (that is, men's road cycling, football, tennis,... excluded) belong to one of the many branches of Police or Armed Forces. Their police/military duties are only nominal.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Leopejo said:
It's "Fiamme Azzurre", the athletes group of Italian Penitentiary Police.

Most Italian international level athletes in sports that are not professional (that is, men's road cycling, football, tennis,... excluded) belong to one of the many branches of Police or Armed Forces. Their police/military duties are only nominal.
Thanks. That's what I thought when I saw the pix. I figured she rode for a pro team when I saw the World's results.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Chicken. Bank on it.

Hey, then that makes sense :D That destroys my first thought that he'd sign for Contentpolis as he tried the last season though. But definitely makes more sense.

So, "Miguel" Rasmussen for the Giro... The route suit him certainly.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Sastre is already looking at going for the Giro - Vuelta. He said he will wait until the Vuelta route is presented before making his final plans.

I have a feeling that Cervelo will want Sastre to ride the Tour, but if not, then they can put all their support behind Hushovd winning the green jersey again. And I also think that Sastre can win the Giro next year.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for the OT.

The_Z_man said:
Thanks. That's what I thought when I saw the pix. I figured she rode for a pro team when I saw the World's results.
I was surprised too to see her in that uniform. Probably men teams are considered fully professional, while women teams not?

Update, after some reading: the Penitentiary Police grant her a special deal, where she races with their shirt on track events and on road national and international championships, leaving her free to race the road calendar with a trade team. There is only one condition: it must be an Italian trade team.

This past season she started with Gauss but passed mid-season to Michela Fanini. As the world champion she is having good offers from abroad though, but will probably race for Safi-Pasta Zara and try to win the women Giro.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cogombre said:
Hey, then that makes sense :D That destroys my first thought that he'd sign for Contentpolis as he tried the last season though. But definitely makes more sense.

So, "Miguel" Rasmussen for the Giro... The route suit him certainly.

He could also be signing for Acqua & Sapone. They've wanted him for years.

TRENDING THREADS