• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Golden CN 2021

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apologies in advance for any redundancies:

1. The Movistar guy who bailed while in control of a grand tour podium position
  2. How many planets from the sun is the cycling world?
  3. Anyone who breaks down in tears; bonus points go to those whose faces are caked in mud.
  4. Sam Bennett
  5. How would we know?
  6. Look, I love Look.
  7. n/a
  8. When I collect the prize for filling out this survey. Hopefully it's a Look bike.

The Movistar guy? You don't even know his name?

No wonder you're fine with Kirby...

It's ridiculous if you don't know his name. You must surely be the only user on this forum to not know it.
And I'm supposed to feel bad about that?
What do you suggest -- a permanent ban from the forum? Or maybe I should take lessons and pass a test before granted access?
Why do you even give one second of thought about this?
Edited to add that I can't believe I'm having a discussion about a trivial matter, but here goes:
The guy's name escaped me when writing the post. I couldn't be bothered to check because I figured everyone would know who I was referring to.
Does this answer suffice?
Can we just move along and pretend this ridiculous interrogation never happened?

Last edited:
primoz-roglic-primoz-froglic.gif

And I'm supposed to feel bad about that?
What do you suggest -- a permanent ban from the forum? Or maybe I should take lessons and pass a test before granted access?
Why do you even give one second of thought about this?
Edited to add that I can't believe I'm having a discussion about a trivial matter, but here goes:
The guy's name escaped me when writing the post. I couldn't be bothered to check because I figured everyone would know who I was referring to.
Does this answer suffice?
Can we just move along and pretend this ridiculous interrogation never happened?

I think passing a test would be a good idea.

He is one of the most famous riders (at least top 25) in the world for crying out loud, maybe stop pretending that it's perfectly normal to forget his name.

Last edited:
I think passing a test would be a good idea.

He is one of the most famous riders (at least top 25) in the world for crying out loud, maybe stop pretending that it's perfectly normal to forget his name.

Good lord, man. This topic of conversation is absurd.
I'll tell you what: Why not come up with a list of questions that need to be answered and pass it along to the moderators and administrators of this website for proper vetting. Make sure to cover all the bases, because you surely don't want someone who knows a thing or two about cycling to miss out. Let them have a look-see and see what they come back with.
Seriously, I would love it if you took me up on my offer.
Look man, it seems you have a beef with me and that's fine. But your attempts to interrogate and try to embarrass me are pathetic.
I just come here for kicks and tune in with those who appreciate a sport that no one in my life understands or are even remotely interested in. They just see a bunch of guys riding around in pack, and after a minute or two tune out. They find it boring. That's why I come to this website.
I have zero of amount of interest in engaging in internet spats with total randos. It's tedious and boring, so go elsewhere, dawg.
It's fine not to like someone, but in future, try not to take it out in a public forum. I have no doubt you and I are putting people to sleep.
You are barking up the wrong tree, dawg. Relax and have a treat.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what: Why not come up with a list of questions that need to be answered and pass it along to the moderators and administrators of this website for proper vetting. Make sure to cover all the bases, because you surely don't want someone who knows a thing or two about cycling to miss out. Let them have a look-see and see what they come back with.
Look man, it seems you have a beef with me and that's fine. But your attempts to interrogate and try to embarrass me are pathetic.
I just come here for kicks and tune in with those who appreciate a sport that no one in my life understands or are even remotely interested in. They just see a bunch of guys riding around in pack, and after a minute or two tune out. They find it boring. That's why I come to this website.
I have zero of amount of interest in engaging in internet spats with total randos. It's tedious and boring, so go elsewhere, dawg.
It's fine not to like someone, but in future, try not to take it out in a public forum. I have no doubt you and I are putting people to sleep.
I don't usually get into others discussions, but I gotta say that it does seem pretty absurd to ridicule someone for forgetting a riders name.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't usually get into others discussions, but I gotta say that it does seem pretty absurd to ridicule someone for forgetting a riders name.
Agreed. I can see why some of you might be surprised but why the harsh inquisition?

I think I’m older than most but I can easily m nyally misplace the name of a person or place when I’m writing, and know that it will come back soon enough.

There’s also this: I’m a historian and do a lot of writing. It’s rarely important that I remember a date; what matters is remembering what happened, what prompted it, and what was the impact it had. When writing I will often just leave a blank space for the date (and sometimes for a name) because I know I can just go back and look them up when I edit the draft. While in midst of writing a draft, it’s much more important that I get my thoughts about the key interactions and processes of an event down on paper in a fluid manner, so that I can produce a coherent narrative. On a much smaller scale, I’m sure I’ve done that with some of my posts on here as well!

Agreed. I can see why some of you might be surprised but why the harsh inquisition?

I think I’m older than most but I can easily m nyally misplace the name of a person or place when I’m writing, and know that it will come back soon enough.

There’s also this: I’m a historian and do a lot of writing. It’s rarely important that I remember a date; what matters is remembering what happened, what prompted it, and what was the impact it had. When writing I will often just leave a blank space for the date (and sometimes for a name) because I know I can just go back and look them up when I edit the draft. While in midst of writing a draft, it’s much more important that I get my thoughts about the key interactions and processes of an event down on paper in a fluid manner, so that I can produce a coherent narrative. On a much smaller scale, I’m sure I’ve done that with some of my posts on here as well!

Learning that you're a historian is serendipitous. Given that this thread has gone off the rails, I don't mind asking if you're familiar with the work of Erik Larson. Earlier today I left a note with another historian who posts an abundance of WW2 facts on Youtube. His name is Mark Felton, and the guy has yet to reply. It's an outrage! ( I kid)
If you're familiar with Larson's work and have an opinion, I would really appreciate it if you send me a pm. Thanks in advance.
Otherwise, carry on.

Learning that you're a historian is serendipitous. Given that this thread has gone off the rails, I don't mind asking if you're familiar with the work of Erik Larson. Earlier today I left a note with another historian who posts an abundance of WW2 facts on Youtube. His name is Mark Felton, and the guy has yet to reply. It's an outrage! ( I kid)
If you're familiar with Larson's work and have an opinion, I would really appreciate it if you send me a pm. Thanks in advance.
Otherwise, carry on.
I’ve read In the Garden of the Beasts twice, and I’ve recommended it to others. I can’t vouch for his historical accuracy because it’s not footnoted with citations the way a scholarly history would be. Also because I’m a historian of the 20th Century Western U,.S. But I value good writing regardless of what period of history is involved.
I think his writing, including the sequencing of relevant events whether big or small. Is wonderful, and I think that particular book contains a story relevant for our time.

"I have zero of amount of interest in engaging in internet spats with total randos. It's tedious and boring, so go elsewhere, dawg."

And yet when someone has a pop at Kirby you jump in the thread and start an internet spat.

• Wow
I’ve read In the Garden of the Beasts twice, and I’ve recommended it to others. I can’t vouch for his historical accuracy because it’s not footnoted with citations the way a scholarly history would be. Also because I’m a historian of the 20th Century Western U,.S. But I value good writing regardless of what period of history is involved.
I think his writing, including the sequencing of relevant events whether big or small. Is wonderful, and I think that particular book contains a story relevant for our time.

Thanks. He is a phenomenal story-teller, but I've always wondered how accurate his depictions are. Check out Dead Wake and The Splendid and the Vile if you haven't already done so.

Reactions: Sciatic
"I have zero of amount of interest in engaging in internet spats with total randos. It's tedious and boring, so go elsewhere, dawg."

And yet when someone has a pop at Kirby you jump in the thread and start an internet spat.
I'm goofing around, you goof.
It has been a long-running gag. I could not care less if someone likes or dislikes my man Carlton Kirby. I do, however, care about accuracy. I will always call out someone who says something completely inaccurate, but that doesn't mean I'm mad at them.

LIES!
Roglic, Pogacar, Bernal, Evenepoel, Froome, Sagan, Van Aert, Van der Poel, Valverde, Thomas, Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Dumoulin, Alaphilippe, Carapaz, Yates, Cavendish, Mollema, Ganna, Nibali, Trentin, Bardet, Pinot, Quintana, Kwiatkowski... That's 25 already.

:laughing:;)

TRENDING THREADS