• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So where does this edition rank?

I think it was far better than all the last lap editions. So that already puts it in the top-3 of the editions since the last time in Australia. I think last year was better. I should probably watch the Yorkshire edition again, as I don't recall much of what happened before Pedersen, Küng and Moscon went. Hmm, I do remember the troubles Gilbert had and that Evenepoel waited for him.

This is probably 8/10 then.
Wrong

Reactions: Big Doopie
What are you talking about?

You have access to each rider power file in each races?

The post tour criteriums have incredibly strong riders. Doesn't mean they are more prestigious than Omlop het Nieuwsblad

"Prestigious" is a weak, subjective term. UCI points is a more objective way of comparing races. You can also look at the strength of the startlist. There are statistics about that too, you know.

I remember that the part before the circuit was shortened with some climbs removed because of the weather (link), but it's from when they got to the circuit (which was when Gilbert had mechanical issues) and to the first successful attacks that I don't recall.
I'm afraid there is nothing to recall.

Küng was the first to move with another rider (I don't remember whom, something tells me he was Anglo Saxon).

Over time, the points system will prevail.
Over time, anything will prevail. Or it won't. Sounds like an article of faith.

Prestige is what we are interested in, but there is no simple measure of it. UCI points correlates with it, but it's plainly obvious that other parameters count too. Which is why TDU and the Canadian races are in the top rank, above Catalunya, Itzulia, Flèche and San Sebastian. UCI rewards distant races, but races don't get prestigious by being distant from the centre of cycling.

in the 2026 UCI bidding guide it says "The UCI will guarantee top level live television production at its own costs via its production partner. [...] some obligations related to TV production will remain the responsibility and costs of the Organiser and will be listed in the Organisation Guide (incl. power for Host Broadcaster, scaffolding, etc.)", so it don't seem to be the locals to blame (although they probably can make recommendations of how to show the country).

Earlier in this thread, someone said it was a Dutch company doing it in Wollongong.
that someone was me :)
I heard it from someone in the business (of shooting sport footage).

The main problem here was the director choosing from what camera to broadcast at what time. The timing was often awful: you saw 2 seconds of an attack, and they switched to another group where nothing was happening. Or a rock pool Or a beach.

Reactions: search
I'm afraid there is nothing to recall.

Küng was the first to move with another rider (I don't remember whom, something tells me he was Anglo Saxon).

I found this pretty extensive summary (in Danish):

"Prestigious" is a weak, subjective term. UCI points is a more objective way of comparing races. You can also look at the strength of the startlist. There are statistics about that too, you know.
If u are telling me UCI points is how we rank races, u are tell me that you would rather win Classique Paris-Chauny or Gooikse Pijl than a stage of the Tour de France or Giro d'Italia. Because they are worth more UCI points.

What a joke

So where does this edition rank?

I think it was far better than all the last lap editions. So that already puts it in the top-3 of the editions since the last time in Australia. I think last year was better. I should probably watch the Yorkshire edition again, as I don't recall much of what happened before Pedersen, Küng and Moscon went. Hmm, I do remember the troubles Gilbert had and that Evenepoel waited for him.

This is probably 8/10 then.

1993​
Oslo NorwayOne of the better WC. Afwul weather all day. Lot of attacks. Very typical circuit, with 2 not even to dificult climb, became a very entertaining WC.
1994​
Agrigento Italya bit too long ago to remember all details, but mainly a climbers race
1995​
Duitama ColombiaProbably the hardest world cup in recent history. Race of pure depletion. With the GC riders deciding the race
1996​
Lugano SwitzerlandMuseeuw with an early move. The favorites never reached the front anymore.
1997​
San Sebastián SpainWell, not so selective circuit, but still quite some good racing in the final, with a lot of tension in the final.
1998​
Valkenburg NetherlandsDefinitely one of the better world championships. Afwul weather all day. Lot's of people trying during the whole day. Big favourites already leaving from quite far out. Dutch drama with Boogerd having a flat tire in the last lap.
1999​
Verona ItalyNot really a spectacular circuit, but still an entertaining race. Early crash of the favorite. None of the Italians wanted to be to late to attack, afraid they were not allowed to race behind a team member (early Tafi attack). The Dutch team that missed an important break and Boogerd himself had to respond very early. Several importants groups trying in the end. Surprise winner.
2000​
Plouay Francecompared to the years before it was not as entertaining. Still a quit good early break with DiLuca and Poland working somehow to bring the peloton back.
2001​
Lisbon Portugalquite a boring race on a very typical world cup circuit. Italians killing each other as most particular action in the race.
2002​
Zolder Belgiumnot great at all
2003​
Hamilton CanadaOnly wathced this one partly. Very typical worlds, that only opened in the end.
2004​
Verona ItalyOnly see this one partly. As far as I remember a quite typical race, with action only late in the race by the favorites. A lot of Rabo in the finale and Freire surprisingly well uphill this race.
2005​
Madrid SpainAnother boring WC. It was waiting till very late in the race, before the Spanish team tried something and opened the finale. Last 60km not too bad.
2006​
Salzburg AustriaThe Italians tried several times on the 2 small hills, to make it at least a little bit selective. But what I remember it was a boring race.
2007​
Stuttgart GermanyQuite some good racing. Various groups tried. Favorites wait for the last laps. Good, but also nothing special that made it a memorable edition.
2008​
Varese ItalySomewhat comparable to this years race in the sense that the favorites never really entered in the race. Outsiders already made the move 60-70 before the finish and the favorites never saw the front of the race anymore.
2009​
Mendrisio SwitzerlandQuite a good race. Some interesting groups that tried during the last laps.
2010​
Geelong AustraliaAs far as I remember the Belgiums made the race quite hard and Gilbert was really impacient and tried a few laps to early. Not a bad race at all. However, the sprint in the end was maybe a bit of a deception as the race deserved a more selective end.
2011​
Copenhagen DenmarkI wasted some hours of my live here watching this.
2012​
Valkenburg NetherlandsPromising early racing when they reached the first laps (Contador, Gesink, ect). But the last 2/3 laps were disappointing. Everyone waiting for Cauberg sprint. Can not be in the shadows of the 98 version.
2013​
Florence Italyawful weather and some promising early action (mainly by the Italians). Splits in the peloton even before the live images. But the moment you were thinking that It could become a really epic version of the WC, the race calmed down and it was waiting for the final. Of course still some moments to remember, Nibili with too much help and Valverde/Rodriquez.
2014​
Ponferrada Spainanother very typical WC. Only actions in the last lap. A lot of climbing, but all not very selective (low grades). Therefore even the last laps weren't that great.
2015​
Richmond United StatesI missed this one, so cannot judge
2016​
Doha QatarNot as bad as expected with the early action in the wind. But after that is was a borefest till the last lap. Weird tactics by the Belgiums in not trying anything from the moment the entered the local circuits.
2017​
Bergen NorwayBoring race, with only action late in the race. The lap was not that inspiring neither.
2018​
Innsbruck AustriaBoring because everyone was waiting for the steep wall in the end.
2019​
Harrogate Great Britaintogether with Oslo, 93, Valkenburg 98 and Florance 2013, probably the WC with the most horrible weather. They shortened the race, but the weather was so bad that it became still an extremely hard race. Early splits in the peloton (Gilbert), a middle part with no images because of the helicopter and an early final with MVdP, who surprisingly bonked afterwards. Maybe the race was missing some big names in the last 60 kilometers, but still a very hard an entertaining race. With surprises.
2020​
Imola Italyvery typical and average WC, waiting for the last two laps for action. Nice last lap. Explode of the favorites only on the last climb. To simple to be really seen as a great race.
2021​
Flanders BelgiumVery good WC. 2 Surprise attacks from France from far out. Interesting groups early on the move, with great riders in it. Only critics could maybe be that Alaphillipe's final atack was almost imediately decisive. And the tension was gone. But the race had been that good before, that you can't complain about that.
2022​
Wollongong AustraliaA very weird WC. Already starting with one of the top favorites being in jail, just hours before the start. An unexpected attack by the france, 200+ kilometers before the finish. An interesting race situations as a result. A bit of a boring middle part, but the final opened quite early. However, most top favorites never reached the front of the race anymore and the race was almost decided after this first move from far out. So, yes, I liked the chaos in the race. However, the way most teams made it 'easier' for Evenepoel to win, instead of making it him as dificult as possible was killing a bit of the excitement.

1993​
OsloNorwayOne of the better WC. Afwul weather all day. Lot of attacks. Very typical circuit, with 2 not even to dificult climb, became a very entertaining WC.
1994​
AgrigentoItalya bit too long ago to remember all details, but mainly a climbers race
1995​
DuitamaColombiaProbably the hardest world cup in recent history. Race of pure depletion. With the GC riders deciding the race
1996​
Lugano SwitzerlandMuseeuw with an early move. The favorites never reached the front anymore.
1997​
San SebastiánSpainWell, not so selective circuit, but still quite some good racing in the final, with a lot of tension in the final.
1998​
ValkenburgNetherlandsDefinitely one of the better world championships. Afwul weather all day. Lot's of people trying during the whole day. Big favourites already leaving from quite far out. Dutch drama with Boogerd having a flat tire in the last lap.
1999​
VeronaItalyNot really a spectacular circuit, but still an entertaining race. Early crash of the favorite. None of the Italians wanted to be to late to attack, afraid they were not allowed to race behind a team member (early Tafi attack). The Dutch team that missed an important break and Boogerd himself had to respond very early. Several importants groups trying in the end. Surprise winner.
2000​
PlouayFrancecompared to the years before it was not as entertaining. Still a quit good early break with DiLuca and Poland working somehow to bring the peloton back.
2001​
LisbonPortugalquite a boring race on a very typical world cup circuit. Italians killing each other as most particular action in the race.
2002​
ZolderBelgiumnot great at all
2003​
HamiltonCanadaOnly wathced this one partly. Very typical worlds, that only opened in the end.
2004​
VeronaItalyOnly see this one partly. As far as I remember a quite typical race, with action only late in the race by the favorites. A lot of Rabo in the finale and Freire surprisingly well uphill this race.
2005​
MadridSpainAnother boring WC. It was waiting till very late in the race, before the Spanish team tried something and opened the finale. Last 60km not too bad.
2006​
SalzburgAustriaThe Italians tried several times on the 2 small hills, to make it at least a little bit selective. But what I remember it was a boring race.
2007​
StuttgartGermanyQuite some good racing. Various groups tried. Favorites wait for the last laps. Good, but also nothing special that made it a memorable edition.
2008​
VareseItalySomewhat comparable to this years race in the sense that the favorites never really entered in the race. Outsiders already made the move 60-70 before the finish and the favorites never saw the front of the race anymore.
2009​
Mendrisio SwitzerlandQuite a good race. Some interesting groups that tried during the last laps.
2010​
GeelongAustraliaAs far as I remember the Belgiums made the race quite hard and Gilbert was really impacient and tried a few laps to early. Not a bad race at all. However, the sprint in the end was maybe a bit of a deception as the race deserved a more selective end.
2011​
CopenhagenDenmarkI wasted some hours of my live here watching this.
2012​
ValkenburgNetherlandsPromising early racing when they reached the first laps (Contador, Gesink, ect). But the last 2/3 laps were disappointing. Everyone waiting for Cauberg sprint. Can not be in the shadows of the 98 version.
2013​
FlorenceItalyawful weather and some promising early action (mainly by the Italians). Splits in the peloton even before the live images. But the moment you were thinking that It could become a really epic version of the WC, the race calmed down and it was waiting for the final. Of course still some moments to remember, Nibili with too much help and Valverde/Rodriquez.
2014​
PonferradaSpainanother very typical WC. Only actions in the last lap. A lot of climbing, but all not very selective (low grades). Therefore even the last laps weren't that great.
2015​
RichmondUnited StatesI missed this one, so cannot judge
2016​
DohaQatarNot as bad as expected with the early action in the wind. But after that is was a borefest till the last lap. Weird tactics by the Belgiums in not trying anything from the moment the entered the local circuits.
2017​
BergenNorwayBoring race, with only action late in the race. The lap was not that inspiring neither.
2018​
InnsbruckAustriaBoring because everyone was waiting for the steep wall in the end.
2019​
HarrogateGreat Britaintogether with Oslo, 93, Valkenburg 98 and Florance 2013, probably the WC with the most horrible weather. They shortened the race, but the weather was so bad that it became still an extremely hard race. Early splits in the peloton (Gilbert), a middle part with no images because of the helicopter and an early final with MVdP, who surprisingly bonked afterwards. Maybe the race was missing some big names in the last 60 kilometers, but still a very hard an entertaining race. With surprises.
2020​
ImolaItalyvery typical and average WC, waiting for the last two laps for action. Nice last lap. Explode of the favorites only on the last climb. To simple to be really seen as a great race.
2021​
FlandersBelgiumVery good WC. 2 Surprise attacks from France from far out. Interesting groups early on the move, with great riders in it. Only critics could maybe be that Alaphillipe's final atack was almost imediately decisive. And the tension was gone. But the race had been that good before, that you can't complain about that.
2022​
WollongongAustraliaA very weird WC. Already starting with one of the top favorites being in jail, just hours before the start. An unexpected attack by the france, 200+ kilometers before the finish. An interesting race situations as a result. A bit of a boring middle part, but the final opened quite early. However, most top favorites never reached the front of the race anymore and the race was almost decided after this first move from far out. So, yes, I liked the chaos in the race. However, the way most teams made it 'easier' for Evenepoel to win, instead of making it him as dificult as possible was killing a bit of the excitement.

well, so the conclusing is that it was a more interesting race than the average, wait till the last one or two laps kind of world cup. But on the other end, it cannot be compared to the best ones (like oslo 93, Valkenburg 98, Leuven 22).

Reactions: topcat
1993​
OsloNorwayOne of the better WC. Afwul weather all day. Lot of attacks. Very typical circuit, with 2 not even to dificult climb, became a very entertaining WC.
1994​
AgrigentoItalya bit too long ago to remember all details, but mainly a climbers race
1995​
DuitamaColombiaProbably the hardest world cup in recent history. Race of pure depletion. With the GC riders deciding the race
1996​
1997​
San SebastiánSpainWell, not so selective circuit, but still quite some good racing in the final, with a lot of tension in the final.
1998​
ValkenburgNetherlandsDefinitely one of the better world championships. Afwul weather all day. Lot's of people trying during the whole day. Big favourites already leaving from quite far out. Dutch drama with Boogerd having a flat tire in the last lap.
1999​
VeronaItalyNot really a spectacular circuit, but still an entertaining race. Early crash of the favorite. None of the Italians wanted to be to late to attack, afraid they were not allowed to race behind a team member (early Tafi attack). The Dutch team that missed an important break and Boogerd himself had to respond very early. Several importants groups trying in the end. Surprise winner.
2000​
PlouayFrancecompared to the years before it was not as entertaining. Still a quit good early break with DiLuca and Poland working somehow to bring the peloton back.
2001​
LisbonPortugalquite a boring race on a very typical world cup circuit. Italians killing each other as most particular action in the race.
2002​
ZolderBelgiumnot great at all
2003​
HamiltonCanadaOnly wathced this one partly. Very typical worlds, that only opened in the end.
2004​
VeronaItalyOnly see this one partly. As far as I remember a quite typical race, with action only late in the race by the favorites. A lot of Rabo in the finale and Freire surprisingly well uphill this race.
2005​
MadridSpainAnother boring WC. It was waiting till very late in the race, before the Spanish team tried something and opened the finale. Last 60km not too bad.
2006​
SalzburgAustriaThe Italians tried several times on the 2 small hills, to make it at least a little bit selective. But what I remember it was a boring race.
2007​
StuttgartGermanyQuite some good racing. Various groups tried. Favorites wait for the last laps. Good, but also nothing special that made it a memorable edition.
2008​
VareseItalySomewhat comparable to this years race in the sense that the favorites never really entered in the race. Outsiders already made the move 60-70 before the finish and the favorites never saw the front of the race anymore.
2009​
2010​
GeelongAustraliaAs far as I remember the Belgiums made the race quite hard and Gilbert was really impacient and tried a few laps to early. Not a bad race at all. However, the sprint in the end was maybe a bit of a deception as the race deserved a more selective end.
2011​
CopenhagenDenmarkI wasted some hours of my live here watching this.
2012​
ValkenburgNetherlandsPromising early racing when they reached the first laps (Contador, Gesink, ect). But the last 2/3 laps were disappointing. Everyone waiting for Cauberg sprint. Can not be in the shadows of the 98 version.
2013​
FlorenceItalyawful weather and some promising early action (mainly by the Italians). Splits in the peloton even before the live images. But the moment you were thinking that It could become a really epic version of the WC, the race calmed down and it was waiting for the final. Of course still some moments to remember, Nibili with too much help and Valverde/Rodriquez.
2014​
PonferradaSpainanother very typical WC. Only actions in the last lap. A lot of climbing, but all not very selective (low grades). Therefore even the last laps weren't that great.
2015​
RichmondUnited StatesI missed this one, so cannot judge
2016​
DohaQatarNot as bad as expected with the early action in the wind. But after that is was a borefest till the last lap. Weird tactics by the Belgiums in not trying anything from the moment the entered the local circuits.
2017​
BergenNorwayBoring race, with only action late in the race. The lap was not that inspiring neither.
2018​
InnsbruckAustriaBoring because everyone was waiting for the steep wall in the end.
2019​
HarrogateGreat Britaintogether with Oslo, 93, Valkenburg 98 and Florance 2013, probably the WC with the most horrible weather. They shortened the race, but the weather was so bad that it became still an extremely hard race. Early splits in the peloton (Gilbert), a middle part with no images because of the helicopter and an early final with MVdP, who surprisingly bonked afterwards. Maybe the race was missing some big names in the last 60 kilometers, but still a very hard an entertaining race. With surprises.
2020​
ImolaItalyvery typical and average WC, waiting for the last two laps for action. Nice last lap. Explode of the favorites only on the last climb. To simple to be really seen as a great race.
2021​
FlandersBelgiumVery good WC. 2 Surprise attacks from France from far out. Interesting groups early on the move, with great riders in it. Only critics could maybe be that Alaphillipe's final atack was almost imediately decisive. And the tension was gone. But the race had been that good before, that you can't complain about that.
2022​
WollongongAustraliaA very weird WC. Already starting with one of the top favorites being in jail, just hours before the start. An unexpected attack by the france, 200+ kilometers before the finish. An interesting race situations as a result. A bit of a boring middle part, but the final opened quite early. However, most top favorites never reached the front of the race anymore and the race was almost decided after this first move from far out. So, yes, I liked the chaos in the race. However, the way most teams made it 'easier' for Evenepoel to win, instead of making it him as dificult as possible was killing a bit of the excitement.
Thank you very much! Excellent summary. I have only seen the WC live from 2005 on.

Reactions: gavia88 and topcat
So a race gets prestigious because of where it is situated?

No, like in any other sport with rankings, the ranking system is the best objective measurement of importance. Everything else is just feelings and beliefs.

Cycling isn't any other sport ffs, stop comparing. If you honestly think Canada is as important as Flanders, Roubaix, Lombardia, LBL or MSR you're dumb.

And if you really want to compare, do you actually think that anyone in Football cares about the Fifa ranking for example? No, they care about winning prizes, winning cups (the prestigious ones cause noone cares about the Nations League for example), not about winning as much friendly's or qualification matches as you can to get that number one spot. So no ranking system isn't the best objective measurement of importance, not in cycling and not in every other sport either.

This whole relegation/promotion thing has made the cycling community go insane. Noone cared about points and it was perfectly fine, now there's actually people thinking the UCI ranking shows you how good a rider or a team actually is. What a joke.

Reactions: dicanio_michael
If u are telling me UCI points is how we rank races, u are tell me that you would rather win Classique Paris-Chauny or Gooikse Pijl than a stage of the Tour de France or Giro d'Italia. Because they are worth more UCI points.

Well, maybe not this year, but if they keep the ranking system as it is, the strongest riders will participate in the races with the most UCI points at stake. And then your beloved "prestige" will follow.

Well, maybe not this year, but if they keep the ranking system as it is, the strongest riders will participate in the races with the most UCI points at stake. And then your beloved "prestige" will follow.
The strongest riders don't need to, because their teams are in no danger of relegation and there is no meaningful reward at the top of the points table (which I am happy enough about)

Omloop het Nieuwsblad and the Cadel Evans road race were added to the World Tour at the same time and have the same UCI points attached: how soon do you expect them to be considered equal in prestige?

Reactions: dicanio_michael

TRENDING THREADS