• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

2022_UCI_ROAD_WCh_LOGO_WOLLONGONG_CMYK_STACKED_keyline.png

It is time of year, for world champions to be crowned. While it’s rather early, lineups are already being confirmed, and the excitement is building.
First, I’ll start with the course profiles, in chronological order.
The Womens TT and the Mens Elite TT are the same, which is a good distance for the women, but a rather paltry distance to decide a world champion in the time trialing discipline for men.
2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-MEN-ELITE-FULL.jpg

The Men’s u23 TT is slightly shorter at 28.3 km’s, which the only difference is the little out loop at the northern part of town, eliminating that to get the shorter distance. As usual, this falls on Monday.
2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-MEN-U23-FULL.jpg

2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-WOMEN-JUNIOR-FULL.jpg

The Women’s Junior TT is the first event on Tuesday, featuring only one lap of the circuit used by the U23 Men the day prior.

Meanwhile, the Men’s Junior TT is the same course as the u23 Men.
2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-MEN-JUNIOR-FULL.jpg

The Mixed TTT relay is on the docket on Wednesday, with the same course as the Men’s u23 and Juniors, with one lap for women and one lap for men.
2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-MIXED-TEAM-TT-FULL.jpg

Thursday is the day off, and we return on Friday for the Men’s u23 and Junior road races.

The Men’s Junior Road Races kicks off the weekend, with 8 laps of the Mount Pleasant circuit to await the riders. Climb profiles will be available in the next post, but they are also featured in the course detailed post.
2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-MEN-JUNIOR-MAP-FULL.jpg

The Men’s u23 race will feature 10 laps of the Mount Pleasant circuit, bringing the total km’s to just under 170.
2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-MEN-U23-MAP-FULL.jpg

Saturday has a Women road race doubleheader, with the junior and Elite road races happening on this day
The Women’s Junior race will be short, only 67.4 km’s and 4 laps of the Mount Pleasant circuit, which I feel should have one more of these circuits.
2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-WOMEN-JUNIOR-MAP-FULL.jpg

The Women’s Elite Road Race will be the first to tackle Mount Kiera, with one lap of that circuit along with six laps of the Mount Pleasant circuit.
Women-Elite-Road-Race_Wollongong-2022.png

The Men’s Elite Road Race culminates the weekend, ending with a bang on Sunday with 1 Mount Kiera loop and twelve laps of the Mount Pleasant circuit, surely rewarding a worthy world champion.
Men-Elite-Road-Race_Wollongong-2022.png

More information on lineups will be posted below, along with climb profiles.

Unfortunately it seems that at least the men's race will lack depth ( outside of the top favorites ) with riders withdrawing because of fatigue, the travel factor and more importantly riders being held back by their trade teams to chase UCI points - I suspect the depth of the women's field will hold up much better.

Denmark is not sending a junior team for the junior races, real appalling, shambolic decision. Kristian Egholm, Henrik Pedersen, Tobias Svarre and man of the moment Theodor Storm would have taken this race by ... storm. None of them are cleat cut winners or even favorites to make the podium, but they'd all have a chance to have a say in the finale of the race. Very open race though, there's legitimately 8 to 10 guys you could deem a 5-star favorite. Very different in the time trial, where Josh Tarling, of all participants in every age category, is probably the most likely to win a gold.

Second point of frustration is The Netherlands. I don't mind WorldTour riders participating in the U23 World Championships. It's the U23 world championships after all, and not the world championships of non-WorldTour riders. However, there is a not so objective line for me, and sending Kooij, who is almost the most winning pro of all this year, and Mick van Dijke to the U23 race, is crossing it in my book. Kooij hasn't participated in an U23 race in almost two years other than Leuven. Pure KNWU stat padding, it seems like. Van Dijke on the other hand will likely steamroll the time trial. I always thought that Segaert would be the clear cut favorite for gold unless some country would take the cake with their selections, and it has happened. Maybe Belgium and Spain can select Evenepoel and Ayuso, Carlos and Raul Garcia to even the odds.

Easy win for Alaphilippe.

If he hadn't crash in the Vuelta, he would have been my pick but now I have my doubts that he can be competitive enough to fight for the win.

This could very well be Van Aert's year especially with the lack of depth but if Van der Poel and Pogačar return to their best they will give him a run for his money with Evenepoel as the joker.

Denmark is not sending a junior team for the junior races, real appalling, shambolic decision. Kristian Egholm, Henrik Pedersen, Tobias Svarre and man of the moment Theodor Storm would have taken this race by ... storm. None of them are cleat cut winners or even favorites to make the podium, but they'd all have a chance to have a say in the finale of the race. Very open race though, there's legitimately 8 to 10 guys you could deem a 5-star favorite. Very different in the time trial, where Josh Tarling, of all participants in every age category, is probably the most likely to win a gold.

Second point of frustration is The Netherlands. I don't mind WorldTour riders participating in the U23 World Championships. It's the U23 world championships after all, and not the world championships of non-WorldTour riders. However, there is a not so objective line for me, and sending Kooij, who is almost the most winning pro of all this year, and Mick van Dijke to the U23 race, is crossing it in my book. Kooij hasn't participated in an U23 race in almost two years other than Leuven. Pure KNWU stat padding, it seems like. Van Dijke on the other hand will likely steamroll the time trial. I always thought that Segaert would be the clear cut favorite for gold unless some country would take the cake with their selections, and it has happened. Maybe Belgium and Spain can select Evenepoel and Ayuso, Carlos and Raul Garcia to even the odds.
You realize an organization like DCU doesn't have infinite money, right? They had to cut somewhere, and the Juniors was the obvious choice.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
Denmark is not sending a junior team for the junior races, real appalling, shambolic decision. Kristian Egholm, Henrik Pedersen, Tobias Svarre and man of the moment Theodor Storm would have taken this race by ... storm.
Could you say that Theodor Storm's performance this year has been... Immensee?

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

Hard to see anyone besides Van Aert or a healthy Alaphilippe for this one. I am not one to bet against Van der Poel or Pogačar either but Van Aert just seems better suited for the course. With that said, it's definitely a fair course which should produce a quality winner. As is often the case with this race- don't discount the importance of weather. I am firmly in the camp that believes Pog does much better when the weather is cold and muuuuuuch worse in hot weather. His Pog goes smash days always seem to happen either on cold days or at least days that are cold or wet for the season like the rainy Alpine day he put 5 minutes into everyone at the 21 Tour. What is the average temp there in late September? It's not the hot season down there. If he gets a cool day, watch out.

Hard to see anyone besides Van Aert or a healthy Alaphilippe for this one. I am not one to bet against Van der Poel or Pogačar either but Van Aert just seems better suited for the course. With that said, it's definitely a fair course which should produce a quality winner. As is often the case with this race- don't discount the importance of weather. I am firmly in the camp that believes Pog does much better when the weather is cold and muuuuuuch worse in hot weather. His Pog goes smash days always seem to happen either on cold days or at least days that are cold or wet for the season like the rainy Alpine day he put 5 minutes into everyone at the 21 Tour. What is the average temp there in late September? It's not the hot season down there. If he gets a cool day, watch out.
Wollongong can get very windy in the afternoon but September is also one of the driest months. Temps around 17-26 at best and worst. Perfect time of year tbh

Van Dijke is a solid TT'er, but I'd be shocked if he steamrolled the TT and I don't really see the justification for thinking that is likely. Warenskjold will be attending, beat him last year and was very strong at Avenir. Segaert imo is a much more talented TT'er overall, although his age might play against him. To be honest, the u23's got off lucky that USA made the decision to send a WT rider to the u23 races, but sent the far less talented one they had. The fact that Van Dijke is a favourite when Sheffield put 30s into him in a 12KM TT can probably give you an idea of what would have happened if he'd turned up.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Van Dijke is a solid TT'er, but I'd be shocked if he steamrolled the TT and I don't really see the justification for thinking that is likely. Warenskjold will be attending, beat him last year and was very strong at Avenir. Segaert imo is a much more talented TT'er overall, although his age might play against him. To be honest, the u23's got off lucky that USA made the decision to send a WT rider to the u23 races, but sent the far less talented one they had. The fact that Van Dijke is a favourite when Sheffield put 30s into him in a 12KM TT can probably give you an idea of what would have happened if he'd turned up.
I don't see it as luck, but as logical decision making on the part of USA Cycling. Others should follow suit, rather than Team USA following their ways. That said, I hope you're right regarding Segaert vs. Van Dijke, Wærenskjold and friends, but I'm not getting my hopes up at this moment.

In this regard, I feel like the rules should be changed. WorldTour riders should be allowed to participate in the U23 world championships, as long as they have participated in at least an X amount of U23 races during the year. That makes much more sense to me than the everlasting discussion of WorldTour/Pro vs. Amateur.

Wollongong can get very windy in the afternoon but September is also one of the driest months. Temps around 17-26 at best and worst. Perfect time of year tbh
There will probably be rain. forecasters have predicted rain for the next few months and we have had one of our wettest years on record. It has been showering this week but not much rain and temps have been between 16 and 22 for the past few weeks. Winter just ended. The temp should be fine for racing but if it rains expect those inner city roads to get very slippery. Won't be ideal for TT riders. Someone told me that the Mt Keira road has been resurfaced and I think the approach to Mt Kembla as well which used to be very bumpy on the descent between the two climbs.

There will probably be rain. forecasters have predicted rain for the next few months and we have had one of our wettest years on record. It has been showering this week but not much rain and temps have been between 16 and 22 for the past few weeks. Winter just ended. The temp should be fine for racing but if it rains expect those inner city roads to get very slippery. Won't be ideal for TT riders. Someone told me that the Mt Keira road has been resurfaced and I think the approach to Mt Kembla as well which used to be very bumpy on the descent between the two climbs.
Was in Wollongong few weekends ago for the Darts, been pretty miserable most days tbh in Sydney

Movistar have my utmost disrespect for this move. It's not like he has been their spearhead for 18 years...
I also heard that some American riders have to fund their own expenses or a portion of them.........WTH is going on..........the richest country in the world can't fund a team for the Worlds ? I'm gobsmacked that the NZ team is not competing because of costs involved.

I also heard that some American riders have to fund their own expenses or a portion of them.........WTH is going on..........the richest country in the world can't fund a team for the Worlds ? I'm gobsmacked that the NZ team is not competing because of costs involved.

NZ riders have to pay for their own airfares but most go home for the summer, so a return airfare b/w OZ and NZ is affordable - I'm unsure about the USA situation - The top end in the men's elite will be fine BUT the next level of riders will be depleted - There will no issues with the women's elite, while the under 23's and the juniors should attract strong fields - Unfortunately this crazy chase for UCI points will affect the men's field as trade teams will not release riders - The organizers who outlay big dollars to hold the championship must be very disappointed in the UCI - Finally there has been a big push for an under 23's women's championship - Having the race within the elite race is not ideal, however trade teams and especially National Federations have done themselves no favors by not selecting an under 23 rider - When Australia leaves behind Neve Bradbury then you have a problem.

Movistar have my utmost disrespect for this move. It's not like he has been their spearhead for 18 years...

I kind of understand it. Even finishing 10th at the Worlds would get them 100 points but riders going would miss at least 3 of the Italian races and maybe not ready for Emilia. I also see that
Movistar has added Tour de Langkawi to their calendar. Maybe that will be Valverde's grand finale? We can only hope.

Crediting Worlds points to teams in probably the biggest of the many jokes in the relegation system.
For example, Australia not selecting Caleb Ewan... why should they? If Ewan somehow won the WC and hauled in 600 points, Bike Exchange would be in jeopardy, which would be detrimental to Australian cycling.

I kind of understand it. Even finishing 10th at the Worlds would get them 100 points but riders going would miss at least 3 of the Italian races and maybe not ready for Emilia. I also see that
Movistar has added Tour de Langkawi to their calendar. Maybe that will be Valverde's grand finale? We can only hope.

Crediting Worlds points to teams in probably the biggest of the many jokes in the relegation system.
For example, Australia not selecting Caleb Ewan... why should they? If Ewan somehow won the WC and hauled in 600 points, Bike Exchange would be in jeopardy, which would be detrimental to Australian cycling.

You should not get points for European or World Championships - You only have to look at the 2022 European elite RR - As it was a sprinters course Philipsen or Groenewegen were not selected because of Jakobsen and Merlier.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS