• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 188 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Plenty of reasons why.
1). UAE is already full of one dimensional riders. They are full of climbers and time trialists, never a combination of the two in the form of a rouleur. Which, of course, were the type of riders that made Sky the pinnacle for a decade straight and which sets Jumbo apart from the rest currently. Kung and Van Baarle were on the market this summer, but instead they opted to throw big money at initially Quintana and now Yates. Two riders with a profile they have plenty of already.
2). There are plenty of question marks surrounding UAE and its cohesion and team work as it is. They're already much of a meme in the cycling world currently. Their answer to those problems is to sign another leader? Oh, to be a fly on the wall during their meetings.
3). Why would you sign Almeida with big bucks for 5(!) years if you're going after another B-tier GC rider the summer after, allegedly with room to lead in stage races? Doesn't really look like there's any thought and vision put into these signings.

UAE was already good enough in the mountains this year without Ayuso and Almeida. Thats not really their problem.

Anyways, I don't think you pay Yates to ride TdF. He isn't really a difference maker at all - I'd rather have McNulty, Majka, Almeida and Ayuso to help me in the mountains than Yates. Chances are he will be as invisible as a domestique as he is a GC-rider anyways.

There's like 2 sides to UAE recruiting. The first is the recruitment of youngsters with huge potential for long term contract. I'm not quite sure it was super great scouting or talent development with Ayuso and Pogacar per se or that they just outbid teams or moved early and were kind of lucky these 2 riders panned out.

The other, more prominent side of the equation is a much longer standing history of spending big on underwhelming riders, especially 2nd tier GT contenders.

Reactions: Sandisfan
There's like 2 sides to UAE recruiting. The first is the recruitment of youngsters with huge potential for long term contract. I'm not quite sure it was super great scouting or talent development with Ayuso and Pogacar per se or that they just outbid teams or moved early and were kind of lucky these 2 riders panned out.

The other, more prominent side of the equation is a much longer standing history of spending big on underwhelming riders, especially 2nd tier GT contenders.
It surely wasn't a case of scouting. Anyone and their mother could see the ridiculous, generational talent in both riders. They were a case of money and some luck. Pogacar was on the verge of signing with QuickStep, where Matxin worked as a scout at the time. However, Matxin got offered a more prominent director job at Lampre (UAE), and, following his own arrival, signed Pogacar from under Lefevere's nose with his newly acquired Arabic dollars. Ayuso on the other hand was heralded by Movistar, who sent his idol Valverde for recruitment and invited him to training camps more than once. However, when it was time to put pen to paper, Unzue, incompetent as he is, had little to no plan in place for Ayuso's development, and so he opted for the more lucrative offer from UAE. It's the same with Jan Christen, or any other generational youngster they'll sign in the future.

One could argue Pogacar and Ayuso are as good as they are despite UAE. Because everytime they get their hands on someone that is incredibly talented but not top of the food chain, barely any progress is seen other than natural progression (Bjerg, McNulty, Ardila, Riabushenko. The list goes on and on).

It surely wasn't a case of scouting. Anyone and their mother could see the ridiculous, generational talent in both riders. They were a case of money and some luck. Pogacar was on the verge of signing with QuickStep, where Matxin worked as a scout at the time. However, Matxin got offered a more prominent director job at Lampre (UAE), and, following his own arrival, signed Pogacar from under Lefevere's nose with his newly acquired Arabic dollars. Ayuso on the other hand was heralded by Movistar, who sent his idol Valverde for recruitment and invited him to training camps more than once. However, when it was time to put pen to paper, Unzue, incompetent as he is, had little to no plan in place for Ayuso's development, and so he opted for the more lucrative offer from UAE. It's the same with Jan Christen, or any other generational youngster they'll sign in the future.

One could argue Pogacar and Ayuso are as good as they are despite UAE. Because everytime they get their hands on someone that is incredibly talented but not top of the food chain, barely any progress is seen other than natural progression (Bjerg, McNulty, Ardila, Riabushenko. The list goes on and on).
I remember Pog was highly rated but I didn't remember if everyone and their mother were in for him or not. I think Jumbo were in for him too but they were never leading the chase I think. Still I think the development of Ayuso and Pog has been super explosive. Nobody expected them to top 3 a GT in their first year. Also McNulty was good from the get go.

Their signings of established riders tend to be terrible though, including after Pogacar broke through. Almeida did not make sense to me when they already had signed Ayuso, and a guys like Yates make 0 sense. Adam Yates is probably on big money, has a long history of underperforming in GTs, and surely not the profile you're looking for. George Bennet is similar, a pure climber who's climbing isn't quite good enough for the niche you want him in, but he's arguably cheaper.

Majka is a good signing, but still mostly inferior to Kuss, who really has taken the Poels role. But that level of climbing domestiques are hard to find cause they're leaders almost all the time.

I remember Pog was highly rated but I didn't remember if everyone and their mother were in for him or not. I think Jumbo were in for him too but they were never leading the chase I think. Still I think the development of Ayuso and Pog has been super explosive. Nobody expected them to top 3 a GT in their first year. Also McNulty was good from the get go.

Their signings of established riders tend to be terrible though, including after Pogacar broke through. Almeida did not make sense to me when they already had signed Ayuso, and a guys like Yates make 0 sense. Adam Yates is probably on big money, has a long history of underperforming in GTs, and surely not the profile you're looking for. George Bennet is similar, a pure climber who's climbing isn't quite good enough for the niche you want him in, but he's arguably cheaper.

Majka is a good signing, but still mostly inferior to Kuss, who really has taken the Poels role. But that level of climbing domestiques are hard to find cause they're leaders almost all the time.

Isn't signing Yates just to make sure Pogacar wins the UAE Tour?

Yeah, UAE should be throwing money at guys at Durbridge and not at another guy for the mountains.
Also, what does Yates get out of it besides good money? Co-leader in the one week stages races and hilly one day races that Pogacar isn't riding? He won't be leading any gts...
It’s possible A.Yates knows he’s not going to win a GT with the current crop of GC contenders and is looking for a big pay check without the pressure of leadership.

UAE could line up at the Tour de France next year with
Pogacar
Ayuso
Almeida
Hirschi
McNulty
Bjerg
Covi
Suter
which would be up there with any team Sky or Jumbo have sent or could send while their whole team (ALL of them!!!!!) would still be eligible for the white jersey but apparently their recruiting is off??

• Wow
Yeah, UAE should be throwing money at guys at Durbridge and not at another guy for the mountains.
Also, what does Yates get out of it besides good money? Co-leader in the one week stages races and hilly one day races that Pogacar isn't riding? He won't be leading any gts...

Durbridge is a sad case - He's sacrificed his career to spend his whole team riding at the front in races - It's no wonder his classics performances have gone backwards in the last three years - BEX knocked back A.Yates because his salary would be around the same as Simon's if not higher.

Yates would be a super good signing for UAE. Him and Majka would be a very strong line-up around Pogacar. Plus Yates would be a fantastic together with Pogacar in hilly one day races.

They still need 1 or 2 ''M.Bjerg'' types for the flats. But I'm sure they are still looking. Can't really see any names out of contract. But I'm sure UAE can buy riders out of contract as well.

But just because UAE need a rouleur that doesn't make Yates a bad signing.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Roku
UAE could line up at the Tour de France next year with
Pogacar
Ayuso
Almeida
Hirschi
McNulty
Bjerg
Covi
Suter
which would be up there with any team Sky or Jumbo have sent or could send while their whole team (ALL of them!!!!!) would still be eligible for the white jersey but apparently their recruiting is off??
Their young rider recruting is fine, it's the big names that they are signing that is the problem. Just look at last years tranfers. Who re-signs Gaviria and signs Ackermann plus Hodeg if you have Pogacar on the team and just signed Almeida as your 2nd gc rider?

They tried both on Van Baayle and Kung this year. So I'm sure they know they need a rouleur.

Yes, UAE is not the most attractive sponsor. But to be fair the team are not directed by idiots or other disrespectful words I can see cycling news users are thinking of them.

All teams can not be like Jumbo. And lucky for that...