• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I see others has already responded to this about the results.

Could it be that he just likes being at FDJ though? That it is a good environment? There a lot of factors that goes into the decision if you are staying at a team or an employer, instead of going somewhere else simply for money. Now FDJ probably matched other offers, or they compromised enough, so he is being rewarded after a great season and they are happy to keep him. Everybody wins.

Going from a place where you are performing, you are treated good and you are valued is no easy decision. There are so many aspects to consider in life. I wouldnt say that shows "lack of ambition" at all. Especially since he is a leader for the team in a lot of races already. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Grass aint always greener and those sort of sayings.

Ambition can be a great force but is also something that can be insatiable for a lot of people, because most people in reality are just looking for fulfillment. Some are never satisfied, even how far they come and not happy at all because they never feel like they are being fulfilled or have any purpose.

Kung had a clause in his contract with FDJ that allowed them to match any offer he received from other teams - https://www.velonews.com/news/road/stefan-kung-set-to-stay-at-groupama-fdj-as-team-dsm-miss-out/

Because I think that a good amount of people, me included, open this thread mostly to read about men's transfer rumours..

Samu Cuenca: Would never do such thing ;)

I think it's a fair point, but on the other hand, I doubt there'll be that many interesting transfers on the women's side compared to the men. But if there are, I'll try to bundle them as much as possible.

RhD will probably just make even more posts, because she'll lose count.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Champoussin to Arkea confirmed, don't know if it was already posted. I expected him to be retained by Ag2r.

Paul Double is a good signing for Rally Cycling (Human Powered Health). They need to start adding (talented) youth to the roster.

Regarding Wanty:
I don't like the signing of Rui Costa to Intermarché. It seems they expect him to peak in early season and rack up as many points / placings as posible by the look of the press release, but I'm unsure if he will be able to contribute much.

Teunissen is a good addition, despite I don't particularly like the rider. He will be granted better opportunities and schedule at Intermarche than he was lately given at Jumbo. He should be somewhat of a replacement for Quinten Hermans.

Calmejane should be the next announcement. I'm curious if they can restore some of his value after three underwhelming years.

I hope they pick up Grossschartner (opinion, no information).

Their strategy is clear: young prospects and talented but underperforming riders.

Champoussin to Arkea was indeed a bit unexpected. He hasnt had the same season like in 2021, but he has not been completely terrible either.

Maybe he will have more chances at Arkea and a better shot at getting a spot in the Tour next season.

Quite surprised as well, however the puncheur-category is quite stacked at AG2R with Cosnefroy, APP, Gall, Jungels finally showing signs of life and Baudin arriving. Like with Latour it's probably a mix of AG2R not able to offer Champoussin the program and priority he'd like combined with the domestic ProTeams going in hard on established domestic riders which will get them points, exposure and keep the Tour-wildcard coming.

Some nice transfers, but I would have liked to see some climbers getting signed. Vine is pretty much the only one who can get some kind of result in mountain stages and he can't ride everywhere.

Tobias Bayer isn't that bad on his best days, but yeah, their strength is not in the climbing department.
They also have Alex Bogna on the devo team, but time will tell how much he'll be capable of.

Hard disagree. That's what's great about Alpecin-Deceuninck. They almost completely ignore GC in stage races and still perform better than 2/3 of of World Teams. It's the likeable version of the Lefevere formula.
Sure as a Proteam that's a nice concept because they aren't obliged to ride WT races and can score points in lower level races instead. But next year as a WT team they will be forced to ride all WT races. This year they were absent in San Sebastian, Catalunya, Basque, Romandie,... Who the hell are they going to send to those races?

Hard disagree. That's what's great about Alpecin-Deceuninck. They almost completely ignore GC in stage races and still perform better than 2/3 of of World Teams. It's the likeable version of the Lefevere formula.

How can they have performed better when they have never ridden those harder WT races? They're going to have the same problem as LTS had the last couple of years (even worse tbh). Not being able to send a good team to Catalunya, Basque, Romandie, Dauphiné, etc because they don't have the riders for those races. Instead they're going to be obligated to send riders there that don't want to be there and aren't ready for those races. Riders that in the past wouldve been focussing on other races.

Ofcourse they have a really solid classic squad with VdP, Andersen and Hermans as leaders so even if they're *** in those races it won't mean they can't have a good season but it's still a shame they don't have atleast a few decent climbers like Vine that can show themselves in those races. Hermans can go for a stagewin in some of them tho but his main goals will obviouslt be the classics.

Also don't get the QS comparison as they have plenty of good and decent climbers.

Sure as a Proteam that's a nice concept because they aren't obliged to ride WT races and can score points in lower level races instead. But next year as a WT team they will be forced to ride all WT races. This year they were absent in San Sebastian, Catalunya, Basque, Romandie,... Who the hell are they going to send to those races?
Stage hunters and fastmen. Nothing wrong with that. It will be one of the best classics teams for sure, and the QS-light version (but they have MVDP and Jasper, so that can't really make it light). Its refreshing to see not every team needs GC-riders, and such team will make the racing better as theres one less team to sit passively and wait, wait, wait.

Stage hunters and fastmen. Nothing wrong with that. It will be one of the best classics teams for sure, and the QS-light version (but they have MVDP and Jasper, so that can't really make it light). Its refreshing to see not every team needs GC-riders, and such team will make the racing better as theres one less team to sit passively and wait, wait, wait.
I'm not saying they need GC riders, but at least riders who are capable to compete for a stage wins in harder stages. I'm not really seeing that in their roster right now.

How can they have performed better when they have never ridden those harder WT races? They're going to have the same problem as LTS had the last couple of years (even worse tbh). Not being able to send a good team to Catalunya, Basque, Romandie, Dauphiné, etc because they don't have the riders for those races. Instead they're going to be obligated to send riders there that don't want to be there and aren't ready for those races. Riders that in the past wouldve been focussing on other races.

Ofcourse they have a really solid classic squad with VdP, Andersen and Hermans as leaders so even if they're *** in those races it won't mean they can't have a good season but it's still a shame they don't have atleast a few decent climbers like Vine that can show themselves in those races. Hermans can go for a stagewin in some of them tho but his main goals will obviouslt be the classics.

Also don't get the QS comparison as they have plenty of good and decent climbers.
Not sure I follow. Alpecin-Deceuninck is currently 7th in the UCI 3-year points standings. They've already performed better than all but 6 World teams. What difference does it make if they don't win the GC in Itzulia? It's also a pretty kool luxury that Kaden Groves never wanted to be in Catalunya but still managed to win a stage.