• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Iron Lady has passed away

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Arnout said:
, unsustainable budget deficits

Budget deficits are not big enough proof is that there is unemployment.

You confuse a household with a Country. Exactly what Thatcher and her ilk have done.

On Thatcher

I wont be celebrating until neoliberalism has got rid of and buried not an old women.

What has been sickening is the re written history by the right wing press, a quick look at the stats for the time unemployment,inequality,growth rates & current account were all disasters.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Unpopular leaders in nations like the UK do not win back to back elections. Ever. Least of all during the Cold War.

Try Gordon Brown. That man is hated. Cameron right now is not very popular. Neither was Blair. All are less popular than Thatcher. You're just skewing historical perspective with bias. I'd like the German opinion now...the Dutch one is all too obvious. ;)

Here's a tip. When you don't have the slightest clue about a subject, don't comment on it. It makes you look a bit, you know, idiotic. I'll take the informed from Spain over the uninformed from Australia any day of the week.

None of those three are as popular as Thatcher among certain sections of the country, nor as unpopular among others. No-one hates Brown, Blair or Cameron to the degree that people hate Thatcher. Those three are, more or less, ordinary politicians who, in their time in office, inevitably did things that a lot of people really disagreed with. Thatcher went further and actively tried to butcher civil society and wreck communities. There is a huge difference.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons borrowing was so high under Brown's chancellorship was because of chronic under-investment in the country during the Thatcher era. Crumbling schools, roads and hospitals, especially in those areas that didn't like her.

Thatcher's dead, but living in London, it's not hard to see that her legacy lives on. Massive rent payments because there's not enough social housing, dodgy landlords and filthy houseshares. Before Thatcher homelessness wasn't a big problem. Now it's massive. So many people out on the streets. Those are just a couple that struck me at some traffic lights yesterday. There are many more.

Galic Ho said:
The major works weren't hers. Laying the groundwork...well there is that.

The groundwork IS the major work ...

The 1986 Single European Act created the Common Market. It was the first time a European treaty had supranational provisions ... It definitely paved the way for the Maastricht Treaty, signed up by Major ...

Asselineau considers 1986 as the year Euro countries lost their independence. Thatcher was NOT Eurosceptic. The EU commission paid tribute to her.

Maggie also gave an awful lot of subsidies to the CERN when she was Minister of Research and then "wanted her money back" (hypocrite!). Heath's government joined the EU, she was a member of it, while De Gaulle vetoed three times UK's joining.

Galic Ho said:
Euro currency is garbage. Only benefits Germany. Greece need the drachma back, Spain the peseta and Italy the lira. Germany needs to bring the Deutsche Mark.

Yes but as I already said, there's more to the EU than just the Euro currency and the bailouts. Your reply is off topic.

She signed up the SEA. That's all that matters ...

Galic Ho said:
The major works weren't hers. Laying the groundwork...well there is that.

Euro currency is garbage. Only benefits Germany. Greece need the drachma back, Spain the peseta and Italy the lira. Germany needs to bring the Deutsche Mark.

Ironically, Germany was the only country that lost out directly in terms of currency strength at the inception of the Euro.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Ironically, Germany was the only country that lost out directly in terms of currency strength at the inception of the Euro.

But thats a good thing for an exporting nation.Just ask a Japanese about the joys of having a strong currency.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
gregod said:
could you explain the significance of a carton of milk?

Schoolkids used to get free milk (and other things I think) for nutrition and she abolished it for some of them when she was Education secretary, which led to the 'Thatcher, Thatcher, milk snatcher' line which is still remembered now.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Cyivel said:
Schoolkids used to get free milk (and other things I think) for nutrition and she abolished it for some of them when she was Education secretary, which led to the 'Thatcher, Thatcher, milk snatcher' line which is still remembered now.
that is reminiscent of the USDA during Reagan's first term wanting to classify ketchup as a vegetable for school lunches.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Cyivel said:

As I remember it (I'll be the first to admit that my memory is not always as reliable as it used to be) the chant was 'Margaret Thatcher, milk snatcher'. I distinctly recall chanting that while marching with my fellow long-haired hippy students down the very depressing streets of Stoke-on-Trent.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
As I remember it (I'll be the first to admit that my memory is not always as reliable as it used to be) the chant was 'Margaret Thatcher, milk snatcher'. I distinctly recall chanting that while marching with my fellow long-haired hippy students down the very depressing streets of Stoke-on-Trent.

It was before my time so you would know more, I'd heard it talked about as Thatcher, Thatcher, milk snatcher' but that could just be it being wrongly remembered by others or one of those things that changes over the years.

Edit: Just did a quick google search and both come up, so I don't know :)

TRENDING THREADS