• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Jamaican Bobsled Team Might tbe Next

And he ran .14 faster than a completely jacked Ben Johnson (who at least had the guts to confess). Bolt did celebrate early and probably could have crossed in 9.55. Nearly a quarter second faster than Johnson's doped time. That's an astonishing gap in a 100m sprint.

Bolt's achievement, even if he doesn't improve on this, is equivalent to FloJo's 1988 impossible times.

Dr. Wade Exum was right, obviously.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
fallacy bolt could have been faster. The celebrations helped relex him, you look at the turnover, and the distance between second place, no real change.

0.01-0.03 seconds max. Lots of this discussion was on trackandfieldnews forum.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
It seems painfully obvious that Usain Bolt was totally jacked at the Olympics, but it's the lesser sprinters who are getting busted. Lesser sprinters who don't have access to the same pharmacological help that the higher up's do.

Sound familiar?

+1 Absolutely. Found the Bolt stuff painful to watch in the Olympics, esp. the lack of questions asked.

Hate it when the lesser lights get nailed, careers ruined, when it's the podium placers and winners fans need to worry about (who already have the dough to survive being busted).

When FloJo ran her impossibly fast 100m time in the '88 Olympic Trials, Marty Liquori can be heard saying "Ah, can not be. No one can run that fast." And Marty is and was a polite guy. Shame he wasn't there to say that about Bolt's performance, as we were all thinking it.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that makes me think Bolt is clean is the fact that he's always been fast(impressive times over 200m and 400m as a 15 year old). It's not much but you find it hard to believe he was on anything lng before he finished school.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Listen Bolt has been consistent all along in his performances in track, going back to his days of High School, he has been breaking records at numerous events from he has been a teenager. Bolt performance at the olympics weren't surprising to me at all I have watched him compete and with 98% certainty believe him to be clean except for weed. You guys are just upset because he kicked all the american sprinters arses.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Bolt certainly looks faster than anyone else. The guys I would more readily suspect of doping are the shorter, bulkier guys like Ben Johnson was or guys like Walter Dix (probably like 5'9" 200 lbs). They look like it's all about power to them. But Bolt is tall (6'5" or so?) and looks leaner and is so freakin' graceful that the speed really does look natural to me.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
And he ran .14 faster than a completely jacked Ben Johnson (who at least had the guts to confess). Bolt did celebrate early and probably could have crossed in 9.55. Nearly a quarter second faster than Johnson's doped time. That's an astonishing gap in a 100m sprint.

Bolt's achievement, even if he doesn't improve on this, is equivalent to FloJo's 1988 impossible times.

But you shall not forget that Ben Johnson went from 10,7 to 10,22 to 9,79 in 3/4 years, while Bolt was always a champion from age 15 on. Like Carl Lewis: Talent showed early, while Ben Johnson (like Epo-Lance) came outof nowhere.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

0,82 seconds for meters 70-80; 0,84 for 80-90 and 0,85 for 90-100. I also have those splits for Ben Johnsons 9,83 and Carl Lewis 9,93. They all SLOWED down from 80 meters on. So its a safe bet that Bolt would not have run faster then 9,66 or 9,67 without celebrating. Plus faster tracks and lighter shoes then in the 80s. Anyway, since track is also "dirty", its highly possible that Bolt doped too.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I hate to break it to you FoxxyBrown1111, but Carl Lewis was a doper. Dr. Wade Exum, a disgruntled former US antidoping official, revealed in 2003 that Carl Lewis and many other US athletes failed drugs tests during the 1988 Olympic trials. According to the following article from the Sydney Morning Herald: "Dr Exum said there were more than 100 positive tests for US athletes who won 19 Olympic medals between 1988 and 2000, but many were allowed to keep competing.": http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172709693.html

Furthermore, Carl Lewis admitted to doping saying it doesn't matter because everyone was doing it and it was the culture:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2003/04/24/lewis030423.html

At first I thought this was an internet hoax, but it was reported by reputable sources such as the CBC in Canada and Sydney Morning Herald in Australia.

Personally I place track and field alongside sports like weight lifting, body building, and cycling, sports where it is probably impossible to compete at the top level without drugs.

Judging dope use by body build does not seem to work well. While everyone points to the bulked up Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis was also a doper and he did not look like Johnson.

Exum appears in the documentary Bigger Stronger Faster talking a little about it. But he only goes into one document on Lewis, who has contended various excuses through the years from "inadvertent" to calling it "herbal supplements", to somewhat recently saying it didn't really matter, etc. The point is, he was definitely not clean.

Wrong Francie10 - I'm all but convinced the US has had probably the most egregious dopers in track over the last twenty plus years. Maybe much longer. Montgomery, Gatlin, the Harrison brothers, etc. And let's not forget the women. Edwards, Clark, Jacobs, White, Joyner, Jones of course.

Sobering link.

You guys are right in that I shouldn't compare Johnson to Bolt. Bad example on my part.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I hate to break it to you FoxxyBrown1111, but Carl Lewis was a doper. Dr. Wade Exum, a disgruntled former US antidoping official, revealed in 2003 that Carl Lewis and many other US athletes failed drugs tests during the 1988 Olympic trials. According to the following article from the Sydney Morning Herald: "Dr Exum said there were more than 100 positive tests for US athletes who won 19 Olympic medals between 1988 and 2000, but many were allowed to keep competing.": http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172709693.html

Furthermore, Carl Lewis admitted to doping saying it doesn't matter because everyone was doing it and it was the culture:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2003/04/24/lewis030423.html

At first I thought this was an internet hoax, but it was reported by reputable sources such as the CBC in Canada and Sydney Morning Herald in Australia.

You are right, but i think you (and many others on this forum) know the difference between Steroids and Ephedrin. While Ephedrin dont work, Steroids do work in power-sports (if it then makes you faster is a different question, but it seems like, since Ben Johnson improved like hell). Carl Lewis talent showed up early and nobody can tell me that he was on a program at 1980 with no income in track and field. He was "just" a long-jumper who could run fast. Bold reminds me of him (no bulked up body like Greene, Johnson etc.).

Anyway Carl Lewis doped, but not nearly as crazy/mad as Ben Johnson.

TRENDING THREADS