• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Jelle Vanendert is epic thread!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Jelle going to win the polkadots?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I read that Vanendert had huge physical problems especially with his knee which held him back the past few years.

Seems to have put the physical bad luck behind him now and is breaking through. Good for him.

I heard that he had an allergy to wheat that made him go all wonky on the descents. Some weird inner ear thing. But then, I also heard that he's just been dieting like crazy and that's the reason he's so awesome now. Oh wait, I also heard he's found new motivation and is feeling very serene and has prepared with calmness. I dunno, so many reasons, who's to know? ;)

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
PROFIL.gif

This is the perfect stage for Jelle and Gilbert to go in a breakaway together no? This stage will most likely end in a breakaway and they're both great descenders. It would also help them get points for the green and polkadot jersey. What do you guys think? Send these 2 guys in the break tomorrow?

I don't think HTC would allow Gilbert in a break. Flat enough at the beginning that they'd bring him back before the intermediate sprint.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
I don't think HTC would allow Gilbert in a break. Flat enough at the beginning that they'd bring him back before the intermediate sprint.

what if gilbert attacks in the climb, htc can't get him back

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
To spice this one a little. Can Vanendert be new Pereiro? He can try to go in to a breakaway and get 10 minutes back. Then crush everyone on Plateau de Beille.

TGJV is going to win le Tour.

vanendert will lose 6 minutes in itt alone

A

Anonymous

I dont think he could be this prominent if VDB2 wasn't injured.Still a great ride by him and he should give a mighty go for the polkadot jersey.

HTC would send the team up to close the gap on gilbert if he went in the break.
If he were to attack on the last hill, the break must be sufficiently close to the main bunch. If not then he would only be able to gain a few points on cav.

attacking out of the group after the sprint would require the break to be sufficiently close again, or he wouldnt be able to bridge to them.

Given his good mountain showing on todays stage, he could very well win from a breakaway. With an attack in the last km of the Aubisque and then race hard on the decent.
That is if he is allowed in a break.

This (13) stage, 16 and 17 seem ideal for Gilberts point-recovery.

Vanendert could be allowed to break since he is 12 mins down, and could easily take the mountain-points.

A Vanendert/Gilbert break would be really successful if it goes clear :)

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
what if gilbert attacks in the climb, htc can't get him back

Are you talking about before the intermediate sprint?

Attacking on the climb to the feed station?

I don't know if I've ever seen that happen before.

HTC isn't goint to chase him down on the main climb of course... Cav will be nowhere near the front at the finish of the race. But Gilbert will not be allowed into the morning break by HTC, and even if he attacks at the feed zone to pip Cav for the remaining points, that really won't have a huge impact in the points battle.

The break may very well win... but neither Gilbert nor Rojas will be allowed into it. There isn't enough before the intermediate sprint to prevent HTC from chasing it down. And once the break gets away, it's doubtful either Gilbert or Rojas will be close enough after the immediate to attack on the main climb and win the stage.

It's a 20 point finish as well. If they do attack and don't make it on to the leaders, you're talking about insignificant points to be won.

Ryo Hazuki said:
vanendert asked samu for the stage win, what a patehtic sight. good one from samu to drop him in the end
I don't think Samu is very bright, so it was worth a try.

Anyway, last year at the Vuelta I remember thinking this Vanendert fellow was interesting and that I should keep my eyes on him. Then I failed to include him in my CQ team. Figures.

Most often when a rider puts in a ride like this, it means he has talent and we will see it sooner rather than later.

He didnt win from no break, nor was he gifted an attack. He stayed with one of the world great climbers all the way up a hors catergory climb and held off Frank schleck even as he rained down on them fresh.

Last time i saw a nobody own somebodies like this was John Gadret at the 2010 Giro.

The Barb said:
After last night it would seem he is the only rider clearly targeting the jersey. Can't believe I got a $15 price on him only a few hours ago.

Hmmm what about Roy? He went into the attack again and is 11 points ahead of Vanendert, I think now that he has it he wants to defend it. And Vanender himself said after Luz Ardiden he didn't think he could win it he might go for it but I think unless he manages to get into the break tomorrow he will give up.

We also have to realise this is a tour which is relatively light on high mountains (with massive points) apart from the final climbs and all the final climbs are HC (and thereby worth 40 points to the winner). If one of the favourites finishes top 3 on the 3 mountain finishes and maybe wins one that gives him 90+ points, Vanendert would have to finish 1st on 3 HC climbs this tour. Somehow I think a podium contender will end up in the jersey (as the ASO wants).

Ramira said:
Hmmm what about Roy? ... Somehow I think a podium contender will end up in the jersey (as the ASO wants).

I agree the likelihood is still that a GC contender will win it but if Vanendert gets in the break today there are still plenty of points available even if he blows to bits on the final climb. At least we know he's going for it whichy is half the battle in the KOTM competition. He was DAMN impressive at Luz Ardiden so it's not inconceivable he might pick up points on mountaintop finsihes even if it's not from getting in the break.

Roy was very gutsy yesterday. It'll be tough for him to keep doing this day after day though, and he's never going to collect points on a mountain top finish.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Most often when a rider puts in a ride like this, it means he has talent and we will see it sooner rather than later.

He didnt win from no break, nor was he gifted an attack. He stayed with one of the world great climbers all the way up a hors catergory climb and held off Frank schleck even as he rained down on them fresh.

Last time i saw a nobody own somebodies like this was John Gadret at the 2010 Giro.

Good post Hitch :p

TRENDING THREADS