• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The King [Cav] is dead. Long live the King [Kittel].

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Funny that I never saw Kittel as being very fast in the way I'm used to. Always seen him as some sort of diesel sprinter for an odd reason, someone not explosive at all pushing the biggest gear there is. Cav could very well have a faster kick and see himself in front for a while, but Kittel will always come from behind (if that's the case) and beat him with a constant and heavy cadence. If anyone is to beat Kittel, they'll have to start the sprint three or more positions ahead.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
RedheadDane said:
He's as fast as he's always been. It's just that some other, faster, guys have moved up in the ranks.

I highly highly doubt that. If he was riding the way he was in 2009, Kristoff wouldn't be beating him. He should be able to consistently beat 2nd tier sprinters/strongmen. Kittel is a different story.

I agree, this Cav is nothing compared to the Cav of 5/6 years ago, despite the things he says regarding his power outputs ect. Kittel is the only one who i think would have been a serious challenge to Cav at his best. Even Kristoff now is only beating a declining Cav by a very narrow margin.

Cance > TheRest said:
bladerunner said:
I enjoyed the reign of Cavendish over the years and he has done much for the good of the sport. I would like to thank him for his great performances. However, it is time for Marcel Kittel to rule the world of road sprinting.

Sure about that?

Andre_Greipel_3368987b.jpg

Greipel_Stage2.jpeg

Like I said before, Griepel is very strong and good but he will not be able to beat Kittel in a one-on-one in 2016. Tour of Algarve stage 1 today showed that.

Cance > TheRest said:
bladerunner said:
Like I said before, Griepel is very strong and good but he will not be able to beat Kittel in a one-on-one in 2016. Tour of Algarve stage 1 today showed that.

I will be very curious to see if that pompous statement of yours lasts over the season.

The exact same statement was made about Cavendish and Kittel too. That holds for three years at the moment. The Manxman hasn't won a sprint against Kittel since 2013. Nobody believed that this streak would hold so long and yet it did. Why should it be different with Greipel?

Akuryo said:
Cance > TheRest said:
bladerunner said:

I will be very curious to see if that pompous statement of yours lasts over the season.

The exact same statement was made about Cavendish and Kittel too. That holds for three years at the moment. The Manxman hasn't won a sprint against Kittel since 2013. Nobody believed that this streak would hold so long and yet it did. Why should it be different with Greipel?
Well, Greipel is better than Cavendish at the moment. That said, Kittel is in a league of his own.

Akuryo said:
Cance > TheRest said:
bladerunner said:

Because Greipel is faster than Cav and once he has his real leadout he'll be even better.

Akuryo said:
Cance > TheRest said:
bladerunner said:

What race are you talking about? I'm pretty sure Cav has never won a sprint Kittel has contested.

jaylew said:
Akuryo said:
Cance > TheRest said:
bladerunner said:

What race are you talking about? I'm pretty sure Cav has never won a sprint Kittel has contested.
He has never won a sprint in which he was up against Kittel, but he has beaten Kittel in a sprint. Once I believe.