• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The King [Cav] is dead. Long live the King [Kittel].

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MC is going the same speed a MK so he needs to either find another kph or get to the front before MK. MC can't sit on MK's wheel and hope to come around. There are several sprinters going fast early this year so I can't wait until they come together soon!

Gigs_98 said:
Well I think that Cav is still a better if the finish is a bit bumpy. I know Cav was nowhere in Hatta Dam, but for example I doubt that Kittel could do what Cavendish did in last years britisch championships when he got 2nd place on a course with a very steep cobbled uphill finish and generally I have the feeling that Cavendish gets into the sprints slightly more often than Kittel. I mean although Cavendish has never beaten Kittel in a tdf sprint 2013 he still won 2 stages and at the end of their careers nobody will care against whom a sprinter won a stage.
Nevertheless if they have to sprint against each other Kittel will definitely be the faster one.

He had punctured.

If Cav wants to be relevant in the big races, he'll need to find stages where Kittel can be dropped. If Kittel ups his climbing game, Cav is definitely done.

I can't think of one current rider who has done anything for the sport of cycling. Maybe the closest one who be Sagan because of his showmanship, but I don't believe that Sagan brings more fans, boosts ratings, or improves the image of the sport either.

As far as Cav is concerned, I think that Eddy's TdF stage wins record is now safe. He can still win big races, but he's not the dominant guy he once was. He's still in the top 4-5 sprinters in the world IMO.

Jspear said:
Gigs_98 said:
Well I think that Cav is still a better if the finish is a bit bumpy. I know Cav was nowhere in Hatta Dam, but for example I doubt that Kittel could do what Cavendish did in last years britisch championships when he got 2nd place on a course with a very steep cobbled uphill finish and generally I have the feeling that Cavendish gets into the sprints slightly more often than Kittel. I mean although Cavendish has never beaten Kittel in a tdf sprint 2013 he still won 2 stages and at the end of their careers nobody will care against whom a sprinter won a stage.
Nevertheless if they have to sprint against each other Kittel will definitely be the faster one.

He had punctured.
Oops, I didnt watch the stage and only saw the result :eek:

Tonton said:
I can't think of one current rider who has done anything for the sport of cycling. Maybe the closest one who be Sagan because of his showmanship, but I don't believe that Sagan brings more fans, boosts ratings, or improves the image of the sport either.

As far as Cav is concerned, I think that Eddy's TdF stage wins record is now safe. He can still win big races, but he's not the dominant guy he once was. He's still in the top 4-5 sprinters in the world IMO.

Wiggins brought more fans.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Libertine Seguros said:
The OP premise is flawed. Mark Cavendish has done nothing good for the sport of cycling, nor has Marcel Kittel. Greipel has at least proven himself a willing Classics domestique.

Strange definition of what "good for the sport" looks like.
Willing to contribute to good racing. Good racing is what should get people into the sport, not "people who win all the time when a race can be summed up in a 30 seconds highlights package".

Sagan at least produces some exciting racing, unfortunately the only kind of people he will bring to the sport are total douches who find his self-indulgent BS likable.

TMP402 said:
Tonton said:

Wiggins brought more fans.

You missed the "don't" in my sentence...regardless, it seems like the OP (and your comment goes down the same road) should have stated "good for UK cycling". If so, I agree. But as far as cycling in general it's a resounding NO.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Was it my imagination or did Brian Smith sound very deflated at the end of todays stage in Dubai ...almost as if he knew Cav was past his sell by date for big sprint wins
After all it was him who brought Cav and his entourage to Dimension data for a not inconsiderable sum I'd wager

You are right, I also noticed how Brian Smith clearly showed in his commentary how big a mistake it was to sign Cav now.

This is what winning the genetic lottery looks like.

CajoArLVIAAwFPk.jpg

Gotta take into account, Cav has been on the track in Manchester since October last year. Crikey he's even rented an apartment in Manchester because he hasn't been home since October. He hasn't been training for the road at all, or even sprinting. It's far too early to compare his road and sprinting form 'now' with Kittel. They are on entirely different objectives at this moment in time.

The way he gained on Kittel during the finish in Stage one was encouraging, I'd like to think that once he gets his road legs back he'll pose a significant threat.
It's The Tour of Dubai afterall, and the start of the season, bit too early to make any judgements yet.

elfed68 said:
The way he gained on Kittel during the finish in Stage one was encouraging, I'd like to think that once he gets his road legs back he'll pose a significant threat.
It's The Tour of Dubai afterall, and the start of the season, bit too early to make any judgements yet.

Perhaps but Cav has never beaten Kittel in a sprint and he has peaked as a sprinter. Cav's far from finished but Kittel clearly is looking like the 2014 version.

But Cav time on the track will not decrease ..in fact it will increase if he is serious about a Rio medal
I think he will find it very hard to have more than one focus
Dimension Data allowed him to train for the track which EQS didn't ..but I wonder will they get back their investment
maybe they should have stayed with their Africa focus

TRENDING THREADS