• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Lance and Cancer Show during the last stage

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I give great credit to the UCI for showing that not even Lance is above the rules.

This was a stunt that backfired on Lance. Out of the competition, he just had to yet again be the center of attention. What a clown.

Lance makes money off cancer. He may do some good things no doubt, but he is still profits from cancer. This was a disingenuous circus.

Imagine how much chaos there would be if every rider were allowed to alter their jersey over above the team jersey to promote their private business. I have no idea how much money he'll make from sales of the new jersey, but it was a great example of guerilla marketing.

I am glad the Lance show, TdF version, is over. The U.S. Federal Court version will likely be more interesting.

Mike in Minneapolis

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I wonder why they didn't bother to run this by the race officials and UCI before hand to avoid all this drama unless all this drama is what they wanted.

Liestrong don't seem to care much that their strategies aren't so transparent any more. Next thing we know, they won't deny paying shills to comment on online articles and blog posts.

Public Strategies - it's more than just a name!

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
Incredible how even politicians (Sarkozy) and other interviewed people answer questions regarding the Landis allegations by reminding us that we should not forget that he survived cancer, what he has done for people suffering from the illness and so on. Outrageous. Sad.
Sarkozy is a wart on the face of France. Nuff said.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
does he really have that many people continually wanting to drink his kool-aid? i guess i've never really paid any attention to lance to know. i was in at mellow johnny's friday. it wasn't really a true bike shop to me. it was like going to the gap/$tarbuck$ with bikes in it.

A

Anonymous

michaeld said:
It looks like a mission statement to funnel all costs to anyone who is a cancer survivor, and their related survivor-activities :rolleyes:

That wasn't the topic of discussion.:rolleyes:

Actuall FOLLOWING the point of a post back to its origin is pretty easy. See that little arrow right beside your name in my quote of your post. Click on it, and it will take you back to your original post. Then you can do the same for that post, and so on, and so on, and so on. THEN you will not look like some douche who just popped in and threw up a post relevant to nothing being discussed.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
That wasn't the topic of discussion.:rolleyes:

Actuall FOLLOWING the point of a post back to its origin is pretty easy. See that little arrow right beside your name in my quote of your post. Click on it, and it will take you back to your original post. Then you can do the same for that post, and so on, and so on, and so on. THEN you will not look like some douche who just popped in and threw up a post relevant to nothing being discussed.

It does say "while they didn't fund...they continue to monitor" which would be a feeble reason for a well hyped foundation to exist. More of the same it would appear.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
cyclestationgiuseppe said:
. Again, call any local oncologist and ask him/her if they give a *** about your super hero. Wearing a *** little livestrong bracelet does not go far during hospice care.

My oncologist wears a little LIVESTRONG bracelet. He must not be a hater.

A

Anonymous

patrick767 said:
The haters around here are just pathetic. It's too bad you turn the forums of a superb cycling website into a cesspool. Stop being so damned obsessed with Lance Armstrong.

Says the guy reading and posting on a thread about Armstrong...Irony: Your doing it right!

patrick767 said:
The haters around here are just pathetic. It's too bad you turn the forums of a superb cycling website into a cesspool. Stop being so damned obsessed with Lance Armstrong.

Why not just ignore those that you categorize as "haters"? I think it is a valid concern to wonder why Armstrong/Bruyneel/Shack didn't seek the okay of the UCI and race officials before appearing at the the start in their new kits.
As I mentioned previously Bruyneel's response to the UCI's decision really is far from productive nor is it mature by any stretch of the imagination. I was hoping to get some type of response from those that find the entire drama acceptable behaviour but have received none. I just want to hear another reasonable perspective.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I wonder why they didn't bother to run this by the race officials and UCI before hand to avoid all this drama unless all this drama is what they wanted.

In an interview after the race, Armstrong acknowledged the way things happened probably brought more attention to "the cause" than if they'd gone through the proper channels. I find it hard to believe that's not the very reason for doing it the way they did.

I wonder how Armstrong would have taken the same being done to him during one of his winning years.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
I'm not either ...so long as every Radio Shack rider is fined 5,000 Swiss francs, same as Cipo used to ever time he showed up for a start out of uniform.

I may have missed someone else's post, or I may have understood what I read, but isn't the additional problem that Radioshack weren't wearing any race numbers - not just the change of jersey?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
elizabeth said:
In an interview after the race, Armstrong acknowledged the way things happened probably brought more attention to "the cause" than if they'd gone through the proper channels. I find it hard to believe that's not the very reason for doing it the way they did.

I wonder how Armstrong would have taken the same being done to him during one of his winning years.

he would have cried foul and condemened the offenders for having no respect for the tdf

forty four said:
very ignorant and generally offensive post about cancer and its causes i would not share your opinions in public someone would slap you.
oh so all the many people i know in my family and outside of it who died of various cancers were at fault? heart disease and cancer are number 1 and 2 killers worldwide period and they can and will get you regardless of lifestyle your only playing with odds there is no guarantee no matter how you live and eat. get some info on the matter before you spout off nonsense and offend people.

No disease is better understood than cancer itself. Like heart disease its easy to prevent and cure via diet and lifestyle.

http://www.pcrm.org
http://www.heartattackproof.com
http://www.drmcdougall.com

Ive got friends that have cured themselves of cancer via change in diet and lifestyle. Same with heart disease. Most would rather diet though than give up their deathly daily habits I agree.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Bruyneel's response just makes matter worse. His response was bordering on being childlike. I can't imagine that he honestly thinks that the officials were in the wrong to enforce a rule that is well known among all the teams.
Maybe overwhelming sense of exceptionalism or just cynicism, possibly a combination of both. It's an arrogance that is unattractive, a mere gesture crass in it's conception and execution. Not suprising though.

As for Bruyneel, well it seems that on the internet many find it difficult to temper their childish outbursts in a way that they wouldn't in real life. Twitter amplifies this by an order of magnitude. Twitter is for the childish.

Public Apology - Johan Bruyneel's Twitter Message

During the final day of the Tour de France (Sunday, July 25), Team RadioShack launched the "Team 28" campaign in support of the 28 million people worldwide currently living with cancer. As part of our efforts to gain recognition and support for the LIVESTRONG mission, we unveiled special black RadioShack jerseys with the number 28 on the back. When race officials informed me that the team wouldn't be able to race with these special jerseys, I became frustrated that our message would not be heard and seen around the world. During this time of frustration, I put a disrespectful and unprofessional message on my personal Twitter account targeting the UCI race officials. This was not the correct way to handle the situation, nor the example I want to set for my team, family and fans. I understand the race officials' decision and publicly apologize for offending any official or representative of the UCI. It is also my intent to personally apologize to UCI President Pat McQuaid for my remarks.

Thank you for your continued support.

Johan Bruyneel

http://www.johanbruyneel.com/news_articles/tdf10bruyneelapology.html

Not sorry for turning the final stage into a L********g circus then. :rolleyes:

nia O'Malley said:
Somebody threatened to sue, that's all. Twitter or not, I'm quite sure it's valid fodder for libel lawsuits.

Yep. I'm sure some official who doesn't enjoy being unnecessarily abused simply said to Pat: "hey boss, I'm not going be publically insulted by a whiny DS just for doing my job correctly, please do something about it." And Pat realized that he had to or risk letting JB appear both bigger than the sport and able to flaunt the UCI.

durianrider said:
http://www.pcrm.org
http://www.heartattackproof.com
http://www.drmcdougall.com

Ive got friends that have cured themselves of cancer via change in diet and lifestyle. Same with heart disease. Most would rather diet though than give up their deathly daily habits I agree.

What a load of garbage.

No worries everyone, tell your oncologists that you no longer want to be treated by conventional medicine, changing your diet is going to cure you on its own.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The team Radio Shack built on shifting sand

Read a few business articles on Radio Shack and its business practice and tyrannical CEO and plummeting stock value and sell off rumors and disgruntled and burned out store managers and farcical email notification by the Shack's top management of one of five employees getting the boot. THEN, they sponsor a multimillion dollar bike team with riders well past their prime and with controversial team members and then delay the race after their star falls from heaven after puncturing his tire and ego and falling after hitting his pedal on a curb. This is a strange way to show how much they care about the welfare of others. Creepy.:(

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
drtomiumb said:
Read a few business articles on Radio Shack and its business practice and tyrannical CEO and plummeting stock value and sell off rumors and disgruntled and burned out store managers and farcical email notification by the Shack's top management of one of five employees getting the boot. THEN, they sponsor a multimillion dollar bike team with riders well past their prime and with controversial team members and then delay the race after their star falls from heaven after puncturing his tire and ego and falling after hitting his pedal on a curb. This is a strange way to show how much they care about the welfare of others. Creepy.:(

I know some people who had to interface with the RS top guys at the Tour. World Class A$$holes. Armstrong must get along great with them.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
What a load of garbage.

No worries everyone, tell your oncologists that you no longer want to be treated by conventional medicine, changing your diet is going to cure you on its own.
Thank you! After having lost a number of loved ones and acquaintances to cancer, including a nearly lifelong vegetarian who didn't smoke a day in his life but still succombed to lung cancer, I'm sick of hearing how changing your diet can magically cure cancer. grrr.

TRENDING THREADS