• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The last WT team without a victory?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the last WT team without a victory?

• Argos - Shimano

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Harder to decide this year, each team seems to have at least one big name that can get the team a win. I'll go with Euskaltel, the only big name rider they have that can save them from being last team to win is Samu.

Isn't samu the only rider that gets them wins?? I don't think the team deserves to be in world tour. Euskaltel and Argos should combine and we'll have one strong team since Argos too only have degenkold and kittel who can get them wins.

gruppeto993 said:
Isn't samu the only rider that gets them wins?? I don't think the team deserves to be in world tour. Euskaltel and Argos should combine and we'll have one strong team since Argos too only have degenkold and kittel who can get them wins.

Two totally different teams with totally different philosophies, even though Euskaltel somewhat strayed from their philosophy to maintain WT status.

gruppeto993 said:

They were much better compared to AG2R, they had 4 wins last year and none of them was in WT

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I guess I am a bit late posting this seeing AG2R now do have their first win but I did not get AG2R's favoritism in this thread. A couple of years ago they were seriously lacking in sprinters but over the last two years they have tried to address that. While they do not have a top class sprinter they have recruited Appollonio, Manuel Belletti, Samuel Dumoulin, Yauheni Hutarovich. With this group I would be surprised if they did not win a lot more racing.
The climbing group has always been fairly strong although no real top quality rider. In Betancur and Bardet they have two young riders who could do well in one day races or smaller stage races. Pozzovivo will be very interesting to watch as well, while Peraud and Gadret might do something as well.
I feel AG2R had a clear weakness in their squad and have worked to address it. While it did not bear much fruit last year I feel they should reap the rewards this year and they are clearly a World Tour quality team.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
I guess I am a bit late posting this seeing AG2R now do have their first win but I did not get AG2R's favoritism in this thread. A couple of years ago they were seriously lacking in sprinters but over the last two years they have tried to address that. While they do not have a top class sprinter they have recruited Appollonio, Manuel Belletti, Samuel Dumoulin, Yauheni Hutarovich. With this group I would be surprised if they did not win a lot more racing.
The climbing group has always been fairly strong although no real top quality rider. In Betancur and Bardet they have two young riders who could do well in one day races or smaller stage races. Pozzovivo will be very interesting to watch as well, while Peraud and Gadret might do something as well.
I feel AG2R had a clear weakness in their squad and have worked to address it. While it did not bear much fruit last year I feel they should reap the rewards this year and they are clearly a World Tour quality team.

I like this team a lot. Last year they were clearly lacking "winners". Gadret and Roche are great of course but they need a very special terrain to excel. I feel like this year they did a great "mercato" (as the french call it), possibly the best of all teams if you consider the budget. And they got some "winners" with Dumoulin and Hutarovich, Betancur and Pozzovivo. Of course not the most prolific but still great choices considering their budget I would say.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Voted garmin, no clear winner there, i suppose a team like euskaltel will pull a win off in one of the smaller races in spain/portugal, garmin lacks a good sprinter, a strong puncher

They will hace to rely on some kind of break or a (T)TT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
Hayden Roulston won the NZ Champs.

Its not like there was a lot of competition. Its the NZ champs for godness sake. Its not the Belgian, Dutch, French or Spanish where competition is strong.
I am still convinced that apart from Cancellara, no -one will be able to deliver a win from the squad.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
For Vacan it could be Westra in PN.
For EE it could be Izaguirre in PN or Samu in TA (not sure how his form is though).
Or it could be a win from a break for either team in either race.

I still say EE will be last.