• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Lockdown Thread

I dont think there is one of these already so I started one.

I was told by my company on 16th March to work from home 'until further notice', since when its been extended until 1 Oct! So I'm doing my job from home - which I can can, thankfully and at the same time I've been getting back in to cycling. I found the 98 tour coverage on YouTube and am now on the 99 coverage.

What is everyone else up to in Lockdown?

Reactions: jmdirt
My husband is an essential worker (Veterans Hospital, fixes equipment the doctors and nurses use). I'm a vendor and had hours reduced from about 3 hours a week to 1 from one company and furloughed from the other companies. One company got a new project and called us back for that project and the company which is my main source of income called us back 4 weeks ago after being off for 6 weeks. So thankfully we were brought back and we had insane amounts of work this past month to try to get caught up.

Spent some of m furloughed time doing some spring cleaning.

We've been discussing our new C19 lives in the corona threat thread.

I'm the same: working from home since mid March, initial plan was back in the building June 1, but now its looking like Aug 1. I just found out that part of the delay is because the company that was hired to do the deep sanitizing had four or five workers test positive.

I've been able to ride everyday except for a two or three wet trail days (today will be another one of those...torrential rain). I bought a new bike at the end of Feb.

Grocery shopping is stressful, and cleaning and quarantining things we buy just adds to the fun. I haven't been to a pub/brewery, or the Y since April. Yep Sir Fly, pushups. The dog likes having us home all of the time.

I dont think there is one of these already so I started one.

I was told by my company on 16th March to work from home 'until further notice', since when its been extended until 1 Oct! So I'm doing my job from home - which I can can, thankfully and at the same time I've been getting back in to cycling. I found the 98 tour coverage on YouTube and am now on the 99 coverage.

What is everyone else up to in Lockdown?

The corona threat thread has lots of scientistic discussion of the virus itself so I think this is a good idea to separate that from the impact of lockdown and/or restrictions on how we live and ride.

For me I am getting back to pre lockdown life although how long this lasts depends what happens with the virus in coming weeks. My company did similar as you describe but from tomorrow we now have the option of working in the office but you need to arrange with your co workers so you are not in the office on the same day as a co worker who sits next to you. This helps maintain social distancing whilst returning to the office.

So I have been working from home since mid March and will have my first day in the office since then tomorrow (Monday). In my country lockdown did not prevent me riding outside. But unlike most businesses which have struggled bike shops had huge business as cycling was an activity everyone could still do, unlike team sports. Many parents decoded to race into bike shops to buy their kids new bikes. But I could not even get a minor adjustment in my road bike as the shop was too busy.

Doing pushups during commercials makes TV viewing so much better! :)

Commercials and pushups at the same time? :eek: Spare me!

I've actually been cycling quite a lot in recent weeks. In the beginning I worked a lot, but now I feel mentally... well, kind of exhausted. Not because it's been so stressful, but because there is not that much input. I should be creative, but there's not much creativity left in me. Usually I go to a café in the morning to write for about two hours, but this routine is now broken and although the cafés have opened again, I'm not going there. Instead I'm spending more time on the household than in other times. My son is around almost all day, he does not really need me, but he talks a lot (about his school tasks and everything) and I'm just not alone, so less focused. Also I miss swimming, to my surprise that's the thing I miss the most. Next week school starts again (with a few hours a week) and I will have some time to myself, I hope that gives me some "space of mind" and make me more productive again.

Also I miss swimming, to my surprise that's the thing I miss the most.

Same here. I'm an ex triathlete from the 90s but did very little swimming since then until early last year when I got back in the pool due to back injury that stopped me riding until I had the required surgery. Pre lockdown I was doing laps every Saturday and Sunday and was showing good improvement through being consistent. Now I will have to start from scratch again. Since March all public pools except beachside saltwater pools are closed. I am waiting for good news that they can reopen again. We can currently swim but you have to pre book and only two persons per lane to help maintain social distancing so it isn't practical.

But if a second wave hits the hope to go back in the pool will be lost. Unlike some crazy people, swimming in the cold ocean water in winter does not appeal to me.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Bought a kiddy pool for the dogs. I assumed,incorrectly that the mutts would wade to get some relief from hot sun and abnormal heat. Wrong.
I am too long to fit in the pool..but using a milk crate and a towel as a cushion to keep my feet from smashing the sides of the pool I lay in the water..
The dogs will put in a paw or two to get the distance needed to lick water off of me..90% of the time my face. Which causes me to submerge and the pesky process repeats.
At work getting orders about normal or a little more than..got a tubing and cannula order from Holland, Australia and France in a day..never happened in companies history.
I try and complain as much as possible about buffets..all buffets in California look to be dead..maybe forever. Soup Plantation..one of my go to lunch and dinner spots..closed forever.."Chinese buffet near work has good sushi and had an awesome cut fruit and salad selection..it's currently closed..Indian food restaurants w buffet offerings..closed.
Current work lunches are grocery store prepackaged salads w yogurt. I am not losing weight and am disgusted with the lack of variety.
Also Wendy's has discontinued selling salads here for a mystery reason..I try to eat a salad at as many sittings as possible because I tried a Baconattor breakfast sandwich and it's pretty good..
Brothers Donuts is still produces a maple bacon donut that delights me and disgusts my coworkers..Also not sure about the timing..Albertsons offers sushi made in the store that is made before 8am..I eat that for my work breakfast which delights my coworkers..
Lock down life is kind of crappy. Lock down work lunches are not the distraction,awesome break up of the day that they were..pre Covid..F this virus!!

And Spaceforce is not too funny. Hanna..no new season..Barry? Where is the new stuff!! Henry Winkler is great..Bill Hader is better than that!! Caution all people to watch YouTube pizza dough videos all the way through!! Many take overnight or 6+ hours!! I wanted pizza not some BS Pavlovian tease out..and end up eating something completely unrelated!!
did get another Pizzeria Blanco delivery from Phoenix..while eating it all is right with humanity!!
you want world peace..start with a Lucali, Nicks - Rockville Center or Pizzeria Blanco party with all you can eat!!wood fired pie can solve lots,most problems!!

Bought a kiddy pool for the dogs. I assumed,incorrectly that the mutts would wade to get some relief from hot sun and abnormal heat. Wrong.
I am too long to fit in the pool..but using a milk crate and a towel as a cushion to keep my feet from smashing the sides of the pool I lay in the water..
The dogs will put in a paw or two to get the distance needed to lick water off of me..90% of the time my face. Which causes me to submerge and the pesky process repeats.
At work getting orders about normal or a little more than..got a tubing and cannula order from Holland, Australia and France in a day..never happened in companies history.
I try and complain as much as possible about buffets..all buffets in California look to be dead..maybe forever. Soup Plantation..one of my go to lunch and dinner spots..closed forever.."Chinese buffet near work has good sushi and had an awesome cut fruit and salad selection..it's currently closed..Indian food restaurants w buffet offerings..closed.
Current work lunches are grocery store prepackaged salads w yogurt. I am not losing weight and am disgusted with the lack of variety.
Also Wendy's has discontinued selling salads here for a mystery reason..I try to eat a salad at as many sittings as possible because I tried a Baconattor breakfast sandwich and it's pretty good..
Brothers Donuts is still produces a maple bacon donut that delights me and disgusts my coworkers..Also not sure about the timing..Albertsons offers sushi made in the store that is made before 8am..I eat that for my work breakfast which delights my coworkers..
Lock down life is kind of crappy. Lock down work lunches are not the distraction,awesome break up of the day that they were..pre Covid..F this virus!!

Surprised by your buffets likely closed forever. Here although not opened have been selling items "to go" as either regular dinners or family packs.

Forgot to add above one of the big issues here for many has been unemployment and actually getting it. I was unemployed for 7 weeks and back to work for 4 and finally got the unemployment I was eligible for this week.

I'm really confused!
You have a pantry in your elevator?
Or an elevator in your pantry?
Or you enter the elevator through the ceiling like some frikkin' jedi?
I have a shovel in my pantry, the elevator's behind the wall... Stall wall.
So, yes, a bit like the Jedi... the manual labourer.

Ah, is it one of those old buildings? Pre 50s?
The plan might look so, but not really, no.
The environment makes its worth.

Returned from Mexico into California Saturday..Sunday I had to go to multiple places,including two motorcycle shops that were open..all large shops closed on Sunday.
During my ride I discovered something very ugly,very painful. As anyone who had a Performance Bicycle in their town,not the best,but many items in stock,decent prices and selection. Performance completely belly up..Sunday I rode past the Trek Super Store on Fletcher Parkway..done..Quality Bikes on Broadway..done..and a real pandemic kick in the pants,Pulse Bicycles also done..great mechanics and know how to make things work..
I read in San Diego news that bicycles were selling well during quarantine..I notice that Wal Mart,bike everything is sold out..no bikes,helmets,tubes..everything gone..for multiple months so I assumed that was the story or something similar at most San Diego county LBS..man was I wrong..big sad contractions in cycling commerce..
I drove past the old Performance location on Convoy and the sign and window decals are still in place..
I hope bike shops can make it through this..

Returned from Mexico into California Saturday..Sunday I had to go to multiple places,including two motorcycle shops that were open..all large shops closed on Sunday.
During my ride I discovered something very ugly,very painful. As anyone who had a Performance Bicycle in their town,not the best,but many items in stock,decent prices and selection. Performance completely belly up..Sunday I rode past the Trek Super Store on Fletcher Parkway..done..Quality Bikes on Broadway..done..and a real pandemic kick in the pants,Pulse Bicycles also done..great mechanics and know how to make things work..
I read in San Diego news that bicycles were selling well during quarantine..I notice that Wal Mart,bike everything is sold out..no bikes,helmets,tubes..everything gone..for multiple months so I assumed that was the story or something similar at most San Diego county LBS..man was I wrong..big sad contractions in cycling commerce..
I drove past the old Performance location on Convoy and the sign and window decals are still in place..
I hope bike shops can make it through this..
The shops here have done really well. My LBS can't get enough bikes to sell, service jammed full, parts/accessories selling out. I slowed down in June a bit though.

I think the situation is very different in all the countries. Here we can do a lot of things again, but it still does not feel normal and relaxed to me. I am avoiding most things I usually like because you have to wear masks, give your adress, keep your distance... everything is about planning and thinking, and I am too much of a "right here, right now" person for that who likes to just touch things...
I will be going on a kind of "holiday" soon, though, visiting family at the coast.
There are quite a few things now that I have cumulated for when things are back to normal... or free... or whatever. My top 5-list of things I want to do:
  • visit a rock concert, at best The Brew
  • visit a classical concert at the Elbphilharmonie
  • go to see an amazing exhibition to make up for missing two amazing ones in Paris and Hamburg in the past year :(
  • go to Italy, because I miss it, at best Siena, because I've never been there
  • go to a good 50m swimming pool without distance rules

How about your Top 5?

whap84s6upq51.png

• Haha
Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS