• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Marco Brenner is the next Remco Evenepoel thread

tPGONyH.png

After the huge success of the Remco thread, I have returned once more with a jewel of a junior. His name is Marco Brenner, only 16 years of age. Unlike Remco he breathes cycling, as he's been doing it for a long time, and it's safe to say he is pretty good at it, in all sorts of disciplines. In that regard, he is a lot like Mathieu van der (Evene)Poel. He rides for Auto Eder Bayern, which is Bora's junior team.

To get to the point; last year he won 40 something races in the U16 category and he hasn't needed any time to make a transition with the juniors, winning basically every race he participates in. From races in Germany, to leading, and likely winning, the Nations Cup already. When taking age into account, the things he's doing this season might be as equally impressive as the things Remco did last year.

He's not as dominant as Remco in terms of minutes (yet), but he wins just as much. 19 victories and we're only in the beginning of August. This kid is off the charts. Here goes the next Remco Evenepoel and hereby we're starting the hype.

Reactions: jurski
Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Difficult to compare. He's a lot less dominant in fashion, but he's also younger. Not just is he a 1st year, where as Remco's wonder year was as 2nd year, plus Remco is from january.

But i haven't seen the kid ride yet. Only seen the results. Isn't he a lot taler as well?
He's not extremely tall in general, but is definitely taller than Remco. Of course, since he's only 16 years old, he could also grow a bit more. Packs a lot less meat around his bones too. Despite that, he's steamrolling by kids (men?) who are two years older and are built like tanks in ITTs.

I'm hoping the messages that have surfaced about him not doing the EC ITT this week are untrue. Clear favorite for that jersey to me.

Brenner's results this year:

Winner of the GP Ticino
13th of Gand-Welvegem (same time as the 4th)
Winner of the 2nd race of the Radbundesliga, the Rund um Düren
16th of Paris-Roubaix (same time as the 4th)
Winner of the Sachsenringradrennen
Winner of the Rund um Schönaich
Winner of the Niederwangener Rennen
Winner of the Ernst Feuchtner Gedenkrennen
31th of the 3rd race of the Radbundesliga, Eschborn-Frankfurt
5th of the Course de la Paix (+ winner of the youth classification)
Winner of the 4th race of the Radbundesliga in Dautphe
Winner of the 5th race of the Radbundesliga, the Main-Spessart-Rundfahrt
Winner of the Tour du Pays de Vaud (+ 3 stages + winner of the youth classification)
ITT National Champion (also counts for the Radbundesliga)
RR National Champion
2nd du Trofeo Saarland (+ TTT stage victory + winner of the youth classification)
Winner of the 7th race of the Radbundesliga, the Auensteiner Radrennen
Winner of the GP Général Patton
7th of the GP Luxembourg
Winner of the Oberösterreich Rundfahrt (+ one stage + winner of the youth classification + winner of the mountains classification)

= 18 victories (19 with the TTT)

It's really, really, really impressive!

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
I have only one question.

Who is the new Marco Brenner?
Axel Van den Broek (13) just beat Evenepoel in a criterium. Creating a new thread as we speak.
He seems more like a new Mathieu van der Poel though. Road, cyclocross, BMX, Mountainbike...

In conclusion: Axel VDB > Evenepoel > Bernal > Thomas > Froome. We'll have to find out where exactly Brenner and van der Poel fit in.

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Panda Claws said:
What website do you use to get to the 19 victories figure?

Pro Cycling Stats has him at 15 if I include all the Jerseys he won (Youth, Mountains, etc.).
Only counting victories on the line and GC he sits at 9 individual victories + 1 TTT.
Firstcycling, way bigger database of races.

Amazing, thank you. I hope it adds MTB and track someday but it's a big improvement on PCS anyway.

Pretty much confirmed to be absent from the EC ITT tomorrow, reasons as to why are unclear. Ballerstedt said last week it’s up to him and Hessmann and double downed on that yesterday. Although they are really good, they cant touch Brenner. My conclusion or thoughts is some sort of compromise in relation to Yorkshire. Brenner still has another year for a European championship with the juniors, whereas Ballerstedt and Hessmann do not.

He didn't participate because Hessmann and Ballerstedt were better on flat courses in the past. However I do believe he has developed a lot and that he would have been stronger than those two.

He will be unstoppable this and next year in races that allow the strongest guy to win. HOWEVER in other races everyone will be watching him and he needs to up his game to stay ahead. I think he's the best talent (who knows if he will be as good as Remco) since Adrien Costa.

He didn't participate because Hessmann and Ballerstedt were better on flat courses in the past. However I do believe he has developed a lot and that he would have been stronger than those two.

He will be unstoppable this and next year in races that allow the strongest guy to win. HOWEVER in other races everyone will be watching him and he needs to up his game to stay ahead. I think he's the best talent (who knows if he will be as good as Remco) since Adrien Costa.
I can only assume this is also the reason why Ramses Debruyne wasn't there for Belgium. He was 2nd behind Brenner last year in a climbing ITT, iirc.

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/75971/marco-brenner-symbole-d-une-generation-allemande-doree

An interview with the boy himself, of course in French. Course of today's race is far, far from ideal and in normal circumstances we're looking at a sprint to win for one of the Dutch boys (Kooij, Van Uden), Penhoët or Trainini. However, my hopes got up a bit after reading an interview with Terpstra, who called this race more of a survival of the fittest, especially with that Dutch weather looking bad. Vai Marco.

TRENDING THREADS