• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Marco Brenner is the next Remco Evenepoel thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Really a rough season for Brenner so far. Strade Bianche DNFed after 40k. Almost last again today in Catalunya.

As I mentioned in the CQ thread before, his problems still go back to his crash in 2020. According to an article this weekend, he afterwards developed a dysbalance in his position on the bike, which now leads to massive back pain with increased intensity. Additionally, his right leg starts to cramp when this happens. He is working with a physio, but without any real improvement so far.

https://pressreader.com/article/282132115680056

Still lining him up for those WT races obviously doesn't sound like the right approach at all, but according to that article, it's what he sees as the best way to get back in shape.

Really a rough season for Brenner so far. Strade Bianche DNFed after 40k. Almost last again today in Catalunya.

As I mentioned in the CQ thread before, his problems still go back to his crash in 2020. According to an article this weekend, he afterwards developed a dysbalance in his position on the bike, which now leads to massive back pain with increased intensity. Additionally, his right leg starts to cramp when this happens. He is working with a physio, but without any real improvement so far.

Still lining him up for those WT races obviously doesn't sound like the right approach at all, but according to that article, it's what he sees as the best way to get back in shape.
I always thought it looked strange the way he sits on the bike when I first saw him on the big stage, that explains it.

DSM historically doesn't ride many low-level races...

Not sure what to make of his first two years (and a bit) as a pro.

I would think that both he and his team probably expected him to develope a lot faster. He for sure doesnt have the talent of a Remco but also riders of his age group seem to be overtaking him left and right.

He had a few respectable results but nothing that would indicate that he really had to join a WT team as an 18 year old, cos he would be destroying the competition on a lower level. Niether DSM nor he would have missed out on much if he would have taken a slower approach to his pro cycling career in my opinion.

Not sure what to make of his first two years (and a bit) as a pro.

I would think that both he and his team probably expected him to develope a lot faster. He for sure doesnt have the talent of a Remco but also riders of his age group seem to be overtaking him left and right.

He had a few respectable results but nothing that would indicate that he really had to join a WT team as an 18 year old, cos he would be destroying the competition on a lower level. Niether DSM nor he would have missed out on much if he would have taken a slower approach to his pro cycling career in my opinion.

I also had some doubts - but IMHO, his breakthrough was last autumn:

5th in MTT of Tour of Poland, 12th in GC there. And 5th on a quite hard MTF, Vuelta, won by Carapaz.

Since then, I lost my doubts.

The current issues seem to be health problems, as I read earlier in CN forum. That explains his difficult spring of 2023.

I think he did quite well in his first 2 1/4 years on WT level. Will be interesting to see how much he will develop within the next ten years.

Of course I cheer for this friendly guy. I wish him well, and hope he beats these health problems. DSM will give him time.

At the moment, he‘s in what would be his 3rd year in the U23 category. Remco is Remco, and to be honest, young Uijtdebroeks impresses me the most, at the moment. But Brenner is good, and will certainly become even better.

He‘s part of DSM‘s Amstel squad, BTW, so „good luck“… :)

Reactions: Sandisfan

I think it was the Remco effect.

Brenner had a stellar 2019 season as a first year junior, with some strong solos from what I remember. In the aftermath of Evenepoel's 2018 domination, it was expected for Brenner to do something like that in 2020, his 2nd season as a junior. But then covid came and junior racing was severely curtailed, so he didn't had the chance to show what was expected from him.

But with Remco proving to be a success from the get-go, it was kind of an arms race to get the best juniors straight to the WT (Simmons in 2019, Brenner in 2020, Uijtdebroeks in 2021 and probably someone would try to do the same to Herzog in 2022 if he didn't choose to do at least a year in the U23s).

I think it was the Remco effect.

But with Remco proving to be a success from the get-go, it was kind of an arms race to get the best juniors straight to the WT (Simmons in 2019, Brenner in 2020, Uijtdebroeks in 2021 and probably someone would try to do the same to Herzog in 2022 if he didn't choose to do at least a year in the U23s).
Ayuso and Uijtdebroeks did a 50/50 first year. Pros/U23. That's probably what those other guys should have done too.

People focus too easily on the result and ignore the context. Evenepoel came from a different sport so needed time to adjust. After that he was dominating all sorts of races, with 80k solos and by up to 10 minutes. While Brenner, Simmons won nearly the same amount of races, but by 10-20 seconds.

GJC2kp0XAAEijun

The dream ain't dead just yet.

TRENDING THREADS