The Marco Brenner is the next Remco Evenepoel thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haha, remember when Van Wilder had to ride the entire WCC junior ITT in 2018 without any form of communication. The transmission didn't work, so the guy had no idea if he was on schedule, what the times of the competitors were and how he compared. He set the 6th time, but because at one point the national coach decided to shout some instructions through the window, UCI decided to bless him with an extra time penalty on top of all that, because the car was too close at the time the coach was hanging out of the team car.

I can only imagine how annoying it has to be, having no idea how you're doing.

Haha, remember when Van Wilder had to ride the entire WCC junior ITT in 2018 without any form of communication. The transmission didn't work, so the guy had no idea if he was on schedule, what the times of the competitors were and how he compared. He set the 6th time, but because at one point the national coach decided to shout some instructions through the window, UCI decided to bless him with an extra time penalty on top of all that, because the car was too close at the time the coach was hanging out of the team car.

Dumoulin doesn't even want to know how he's doing. I reckon he's not the only one. But he does like the instructions of parcours, etc.

Dumoulin doesn't even want to know how he's doing. I reckon he's not the only one. But he does like the instructions of parcours, etc.
TT'ers seem to a breed apart. De Gendt doesn't believe in warming up, Campenaerts rides without a visor and with a moustache, and apparently Van Wilder didn't want to know yesterday either, he just wanted to go as fast as possible for the entire course. I guess they're fickle as well! :sweatsmile:

Last edited:
TT'ers seem to a bread apart. De Gendt doesn't believe in warming up, Campenaerts rides without a visor and with a moustache, and apparently Van Wilder didn't want to know yesterday either, he just wanted to go as fast as possible for the entire course. I guess they're fickle as well! :sweatsmile:
It was Pre-radios, but LeMond told his team car he didn’t want any split times given to him for his final-stage, Tour winning ITT in ‘89.

I'm not clear what your point is... it sounds like you are trying to minimize the complaint that Brenner didn't know the times. But it seems like that is too bad in both situations, and that junior racing doesn't seem too reliable in terms of timing and communication.

I think both complaints are a little silly.

1) Vacek was one minute faster overall than the rider he was supposedly drafting, so he was convincingly the strongest rider between the two. I wouldn't conclude he was the one drafting till the finish line (and not the other way around) based on a 10 seconds video. It seems far more likely to me that Vacek was in the process of overtaking the other rider and the latter then drafted till the finish line. Of course I'd be ready to change my opinion if more evidence were to emerge, but that video really doesn't tell me anything;

2) I don't think knowing other riders times should make that much of a difference in one rider's performance. Vacek didn't know Brenner's time either (obviously) and yet he managed to be 4 seconds faster. It was a fair competition between the two (assuming Vacek didn't draft).

I'm not clear what your point is... it sounds like you are trying to minimize the complaint that Brenner didn't know the times. But it seems like that is too bad in both situations, and that junior racing doesn't seem too reliable in terms of timing and communication.
A simple anecdote.
I think both complaints are a little silly.

1) Vacek was one minute faster overall than the rider he was supposedly drafting, so he was convincingly the strongest rider between the two. I wouldn't conclude he was the one drafting till the finish line (and not the other way around) based on a 10 seconds video. It seems far more likely to me that Vacek was in the process of overtaking the other rider and the latter then drafted till the finish line. Of course I'd be ready to change my opinion if more evidence were to emerge, but that video really doesn't tell me anything;

2) I don't think knowing other riders times should make that much of a difference in one rider's performance. Vacek didn't know Brenner's time either (obviously) and yet he managed to be 4 seconds faster. It was a fair competition between the two (assuming Vacek didn't draft).
I agree on both points. Already said something similar in the race topic. This could be the moment that Vacek overtakes the other rider, who then drafted behind Vacek (remember Roglic/Dennis). It also doesn't make sense to draft behind a much slower rider, unless he was completely spent right when he caught that guy.

I'm sure knowing your rivals time is a tactical and mental advantage, but on the other hand, like you said, Vacek also didn't know Brenner's time. It can't be a disadvantage not knowing, it can only be an advantage knowing. I could see a scenario, like in the 2018 WCC ITT, where Dumoulin was able to finish in the same time as Campenaerts. Had he not known Campenaerts' time, and had Campenaerts known his time instead, it could have made the difference between silver and bronze.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY