• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Marco Brenner is the next Remco Evenepoel thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haha, remember when Van Wilder had to ride the entire WCC junior ITT in 2018 without any form of communication. The transmission didn't work, so the guy had no idea if he was on schedule, what the times of the competitors were and how he compared. He set the 6th time, but because at one point the national coach decided to shout some instructions through the window, UCI decided to bless him with an extra time penalty on top of all that, because the car was too close at the time the coach was hanging out of the team car.

I can only imagine how annoying it has to be, having no idea how you're doing.

Haha, remember when Van Wilder had to ride the entire WCC junior ITT in 2018 without any form of communication. The transmission didn't work, so the guy had no idea if he was on schedule, what the times of the competitors were and how he compared. He set the 6th time, but because at one point the national coach decided to shout some instructions through the window, UCI decided to bless him with an extra time penalty on top of all that, because the car was too close at the time the coach was hanging out of the team car.

Dumoulin doesn't even want to know how he's doing. I reckon he's not the only one. But he does like the instructions of parcours, etc.

Dumoulin doesn't even want to know how he's doing. I reckon he's not the only one. But he does like the instructions of parcours, etc.
TT'ers seem to a breed apart. De Gendt doesn't believe in warming up, Campenaerts rides without a visor and with a moustache, and apparently Van Wilder didn't want to know yesterday either, he just wanted to go as fast as possible for the entire course. I guess they're fickle as well! :sweatsmile:

Last edited:
TT'ers seem to a bread apart. De Gendt doesn't believe in warming up, Campenaerts rides without a visor and with a moustache, and apparently Van Wilder didn't want to know yesterday either, he just wanted to go as fast as possible for the entire course. I guess they're fickle as well! :sweatsmile:
It was Pre-radios, but LeMond told his team car he didn’t want any split times given to him for his final-stage, Tour winning ITT in ‘89.

I'm not clear what your point is... it sounds like you are trying to minimize the complaint that Brenner didn't know the times. But it seems like that is too bad in both situations, and that junior racing doesn't seem too reliable in terms of timing and communication.

I think both complaints are a little silly.

1) Vacek was one minute faster overall than the rider he was supposedly drafting, so he was convincingly the strongest rider between the two. I wouldn't conclude he was the one drafting till the finish line (and not the other way around) based on a 10 seconds video. It seems far more likely to me that Vacek was in the process of overtaking the other rider and the latter then drafted till the finish line. Of course I'd be ready to change my opinion if more evidence were to emerge, but that video really doesn't tell me anything;

2) I don't think knowing other riders times should make that much of a difference in one rider's performance. Vacek didn't know Brenner's time either (obviously) and yet he managed to be 4 seconds faster. It was a fair competition between the two (assuming Vacek didn't draft).

I'm not clear what your point is... it sounds like you are trying to minimize the complaint that Brenner didn't know the times. But it seems like that is too bad in both situations, and that junior racing doesn't seem too reliable in terms of timing and communication.
A simple anecdote.
I think both complaints are a little silly.

1) Vacek was one minute faster overall than the rider he was supposedly drafting, so he was convincingly the strongest rider between the two. I wouldn't conclude he was the one drafting till the finish line (and not the other way around) based on a 10 seconds video. It seems far more likely to me that Vacek was in the process of overtaking the other rider and the latter then drafted till the finish line. Of course I'd be ready to change my opinion if more evidence were to emerge, but that video really doesn't tell me anything;

2) I don't think knowing other riders times should make that much of a difference in one rider's performance. Vacek didn't know Brenner's time either (obviously) and yet he managed to be 4 seconds faster. It was a fair competition between the two (assuming Vacek didn't draft).
I agree on both points. Already said something similar in the race topic. This could be the moment that Vacek overtakes the other rider, who then drafted behind Vacek (remember Roglic/Dennis). It also doesn't make sense to draft behind a much slower rider, unless he was completely spent right when he caught that guy.

I'm sure knowing your rivals time is a tactical and mental advantage, but on the other hand, like you said, Vacek also didn't know Brenner's time. It can't be a disadvantage not knowing, it can only be an advantage knowing. I could see a scenario, like in the 2018 WCC ITT, where Dumoulin was able to finish in the same time as Campenaerts. Had he not known Campenaerts' time, and had Campenaerts known his time instead, it could have made the difference between silver and bronze.

Last edited:
Has he commented yet on his first "big" race? I don't think it went bad at all (just judging by results), but i wouldn't be surprised if he expected more from it. I assume though Sunweb did a good job outlining what he should expect from a race like that, and his own performance in it.
Think it went about as expected. He was saying beforehand that he wasn't expecting too much from the race and was rather cautious. Working for Storer and Tusveld was always the priority.

Before the race he said that he didn't expect to race the Tour des Alpes Maritimes, but they selected him after he got second at a test race. I don't know exactly the plan of the team, but on the team homepage they said that the team worked für Storer and Tusveld.
"Allerdings weiß er noch nicht, welche taktische Rolle für ihn im siebenköpfigen Team mit dem Australier Michael Storer, 23, und dem Niederländer Martijn Tusveld, 27, an der Spitze, vorgesehen ist. „Deshalb erwarte ich jetzt auch nicht so viel“, gibt sich Brenner zurückhaltend. "

"He doesn't know yet what role he has in the team tactically. The leaders are Storer and Tusveld. Thats why I don't expect a lot".

Has he commented yet on his first "big" race? I don't think it went bad at all (just judging by results), but i wouldn't be surprised if he expected more from it. I assume though Sunweb did a good job outlining what he should expect from a race like that, and his own performance in it.
Here are some coments (in german) on his first race:

He suffered a bit on stage 1 and 3. On stage 2 he felt good and worked for Storer in the end and took it easy on the last hill. He feels that the long distances are a bit too long for him a the moment. He also thinks that he had some issues with his nutrition during the race and he was empty, because at the juniors he didn't need to eat a lot. He learned a a lot and enjoyed it.
At Kuurne he will be a helper.

Some news about his race at Kuurne for those, who are interested.
He was happy with his performance. His task was to get his leaders to the front at the key points and to close gaps.
He crashed 50km from the finish at the feed station, after a rider took him out. He continued to ride in a group which was taken out of the race at the finishing circuit. He felt better then at the Tour des Alpes Maritimes et du Var.
His doing a training block at the moment without racing.

Very good result.

I know it's not the topic for it (he doesn't have one yet) but also great (12th) by Tulett (19y), who actually went into the offensive the final lap, which probably cost him on the last climb. Yet he always seems to get overlooked when people talk about upcoming young supertalents. Could be bigger than Pidcock in 2 years.

Very good result.

I know it's not the topic for it (he doesn't have one yet) but also great (12th) by Tulett (19y), who actually went into the offensive the final lap, which probably cost him on the last climb. Yet he always seems to get overlooked when people talk about upcoming young supertalents. Could be bigger than Pidcock in 2 years.

A good result of Marco... But ? How Big is Pidcock? LOL ;)o_O:D

How do you rate his TT performance in the Dauphine today? I think it is a very solid performance for his age. Nevertheless I guess he is not too happy with his TT results so far. While in the mountains he expects others to be better than him I guess he thinks he should finish in the Top 20/ Top 30 in those short TT already...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
Marco seems to have been overshadowed by Ayuso's impressive performances.
He's currently well behind the Spaniard, and his season up until this point is not that great.

He still has plenty of time to develop into a major rider, but it is pretty clear that he is not as precocious as Remco was.

Marco seems to have been overshadowed by Ayuso's impressive performances.
He's currently well behind the Spaniard, and his season up until this point is not that great.

He still has plenty of time to develop into a major rider, but it is pretty clear that he is not as precocious as Remco was.
Well, this season he is solid, but still no breakthrough.

In Oman he was solid, in Strade Bianche he was one of the best breakaway riders, but did not finish the race in the end. Milan-Turin is a sprinter race without opportunity for him and in Catalunya he had to abandon because of a Bronchitis (like a lot of other riders in these days).

So I think he is on the right way, but it will take a bit more time until a breakthrough, I think...

5th place in Poland in the ITT means his best result as a pro yet and a first mini breakthrough. He already showed his potential in Norway in may, but caught Covid before the last flat stages lying at 5th overall.

If he continues his progression he will be a rider to watch in I would say two or three years. He is still only 19 years old. Will be interesting to follow him in the upcoming years...

TRENDING THREADS