• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Marianne Vos/womens cycling thread

El Pistolero said:
Marianne Vos cycling domination is the equivalent of Gilbert riding Kermis koersen and winning them all. Actually I'm insulting kermis koersen now because even in those races a 50+ year old can't win. That said, female cycling has the potential to grow, but it has a really long way to go and I just can't take it serious right now.

That's your prerogative, but again, it does not take away from Marianne's achievements. It remains a feat to do what she has done, and is still doing. That is my opinion of course. Welcome back by the way! ;)

A

Anonymous

Spine Concept said:
Thanks mate, appreciate it.

You are welcome. girdon2009 is doing a great job of uploading it on youtube, thanks to him/her.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
That's your prerogative, but again, it does not take away from Marianne's achievements. It remains a feat to do what she has done, and is still doing. That is my opinion of course. Welcome back by the way! ;)

I never said that, but calling Marianne Vos her palmares better than Philippe is just a no no for me. Male cycling has fiercer competition because it isn't an obscure sport like female cycling. But I hope the latter will grow of course. I rather look at girls in lycra suits than guys in lycra suits :p

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
She's untouchable at the moment. She dominated this Giro and even gifted Pooley yesterday's stage. Contador and Gilbert in one. Add to that world titles in track and field and you get: Vos the Boss. :p

indeed.

to be fair tho, Pooley deserved the win yesterday.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
indeed.

She did do all the work, but it didn't seem as though Marianne was bothered to attack her. Pooley had to try and drop Marianne, but she just couldn't. Vos didn't seem overly spent on her wheel either, I think if she tried to sprint for it she would have taken it. However, that would hardly be honorable on Marianne's part after Pooley did all of the work. That's just my take on it though.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I have moved a few of the posts in the gilbert thread into here, womens cycling is a great sport and obviously deserves it own thread and not be lost in the gilbert thread.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
She did do all the work, but it didn't seem as though Marianne was bothered to attack her. Pooley had to try and drop Marianne, but she just couldn't. Vos didn't seem overly spent on her wheel either, I think if she tried to sprint for it she would have taken it. However, that would hardly be honorable on Marianne's part after Pooley did all of the work. That's just my take on it though.

yeah vos had no tactical reason to do work.

Pooley was her closest rival on gc, but she has a very decent gap, why should she help her?

But at the same time it would have been cruel to take the win.

Only evans does that (PN aghhh) :p

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
palmerq said:
I have moved a few of the posts in the gilbert thread into here, womens cycling is a great sport and obviously deserves it own thread and not be lost in the gilbert thread.
Good call.
The Giro Donne is brilliant and does not get enough recognition.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
indeed.

It was a great win, Pooley is a badass - she can do it all.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
yeah vos had no tactical reason to do work.

Pooley was her closest rival on gc, but she has a very decent gap, why should she help her?

But at the same time it would have been cruel to take the win.

Only evans does that (PN aghhh) :p

HAHA! Touché my friend. That darn Evans, maybe he's the one to blame for Gesink's weak mentality, that stage scarred him for life. :D

Some (or a lot of) people will now probably think that women's cycling is at a low level, if someone can dominate it so "easily". But bear in mind that last year, Vos was nowhere on the big climbs.

I understood that she's mainly been training her sprint, because that's what will decide her big targets in the coming years (Worlds + Olympics) but apparently her climbing has improved dramatically as well. I think she lost 7 minutes to Pooley on the Stelvio last year, now she can follow her wheel and even attack!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Some (or a lot of) people will now probably think that women's cycling is at a low level, if someone can dominate it so "easily". But bear in mind that last year, Vos was nowhere on the big climbs.

I understood that she's mainly been training her sprint, because that's what will decide her big targets in the coming years (Worlds + Olympics) but apparently her climbing has improved dramatically as well. I think she lost 7 minutes to Pooley on the Stelvio last year, now she can follow her wheel and even attack!

This is a unique result in her mighty impressive palmares.

epic result for her.

I really hope she can take the stripes this year.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
She would be the top favorite as she always has been for the last couple of years, however, those darn Italians always have something up their sleeves to take the spoils. :eek:

Dutch have a decent team, if they can keep it together until the final vos should take it.