• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Marianne Vos/womens cycling thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Just watched it on TV and Emma Johansson looks amazing.

Although I thought the program was pretty boring, they didn't say a lot and seemed shy... No funny/interesting stories and they kept looking at each other.
"Who is going to say something?? - Are you? - Nuh uh.. not me"
Definitely inexperienced with TV appearances.

brollebol said:
Just watched it on TV and Emma Johansson looks amazing.

Although I thought the program was pretty boring, they didn't say a lot and seemed shy... No funny/interesting stories and they kept looking at each other.
"Who is going to say something?? - Are you? - Nuh uh.. not me"
Definitely inexperienced with TV appearances.
It's mainly Vannieuwkerke who is a very bad interviewer. His guests did okay, I think.

I'm just happy I got a dose of Emma Johansson :p. That umbrella episode was a bit embarrassing but amusing nonetheless. Marianne is a legend, it was nice seeing the meeting between her and Contador. I just realized that Vos would have won the final time trial as well at the Giro Donne were it not for a flat tire before the finish; she finished only 15 seconds behind the stage winner.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Thor seemed kinda rude by the way to Emma :p Compared to Contador who was super friendly. Guess he was nervous or something. Emma and Marianne also don't really believe in Contador's knee problems after seeing him close a gap when the peloton split.

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's mainly Vannieuwkerke who is a very bad interviewer. His guests did okay, I think.

Well yeah I agree he kept asking about how much money they made and wouldn't shut up about it. It's a bit hard to talk about things you clearly do not want to talk about.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The only type of cycling where women can get close to the men is in ultra endurance.Beryl Burton could beat the best men in 12 hr time trials back in the day, and Chrissie Wellington has finished as high as 6th in International ironman competition.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
Well, 6.6w/kg is 6.6w/kg regardless of sex, race, religion...

About 99.9% of men couldn't keep up in a pro tour peloton either. Also there is a lot more to cycling that strength and endurance.

I have no idea where you got that number from, but have her or any other woman do a 50 km ITT in under an hour, or climb Alpe d'Huez in under 41 minutes and then I'll admit they're as good as man on the bike.
Nothing I've seen in 20 years of following pro cycling and riding tells me that is the case.

Zoncolan said:
I have no idea where you got that number from, but have her or any other woman do a 50 km ITT in under an hour, or climb Alpe d'Huez in under 41 minutes and then I'll admit they're as good as man on the bike.
Nothing I've seen in 20 years of following pro cycling and riding tells me that is the case.
That number is why the question whether she could keep up with the men's peloton has been raised in the first place, so why react (and with such certainty) if you don't even know the basic premise of the discussion.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
That number is why the question whether she could keep up with the men's peloton has been raised in the first place, so why react (and with such certainty) if you don't even know the basic premise of the discussion.

Because I've ridden with both men and women. National champs.
W/kg does not necessarily equal speed on the road. If that was the case, Rujano would have won every MTF he rode over the past 7 years.

Order has been restored. Judith Arndt has taken over the race lead.
Apparently, it's been winter on Judith's planet too, yet she looks as a professional should.

Oh, and yes, she's been a track champ too.

02_02_12_qatar_02_stage2_903_600.jpg

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
2. Male cycling is far more competitive. There are lots of very matched riders, so every kilo counts. For the women, less so. That means that a couple of pounds here and there isn't really going to matter. If the men could get away with being less thin, they would.

kinda odd that you've been calling "sexist!" pretty loudly in this thread even though the above is probably the most denigrating comment made about what it takes to be a successful female cyclist thus far.

perhaps one day a female cyclist will come along who disavows the 5th twinkie between meals and we'll see a level of dominance not heard of before.

A while ago I made a point about sexism rooted in the thought-conventions used in assessing top female xc skiers' looks in the Clinic. Too much muscle mass and too little fat was the lament back then. Of course the context was steroid use, ie that such body types are not attainable without cheating; yet a surprisingly significant amount of the posts dealt with the athletes' looks. Bikini pics were even posted, as additional proof I take it. The discussion never really took off, perhaps my contention about inherent sexism in the discourse was too dumb or something.

Here, then, the argument is reversed. The riders are too fat and have too little muscle, apparently. They appear "unprofessional". I think it would be unfair to say make up your mind already. So I only say this: if a rider considered to be fat or unfit wins, then hats off to her and shame on the fit ones I guess.

In the end, I cannot see how or why it matters if a race in Februrary is won by someone whose figure suggests he or she is not in top form or appear "professional". Yet she beat other professionals. And no, I don't think that undermines the credibility of the sport as drastically as someone will probably suggests. Also the media darling looker riders who are used in advertising the sport - well, they are still around. No harm done on that frnt either.

Just my two cents. Not keen on pushing them or arguing endlessly about this.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
If Kirsten Wild has a job on a pro team and is winning stages, then she doesn't need to look professional - she is professional. If her look collides with some people's esthetic ideals of what a pro athlete should look like, then those ideals are too narrow.

Imagine discussing the justification of male cycling based on the look of the athletes. How superficial can you people be?! The whole sport must be cancelled, George Hincapie is simply too ugly. Really?

TRENDING THREADS