• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Marianne Vos/womens cycling thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Dutch have a decent team, if they can keep it together until the final vos should take it.

The biggest problem for them last year was van Vleuten puncturing. Annemiek has been masterful as a sidekick for Vos this past 18 months, picking up win after win because people don't want to drag Vos to the end, and sabotaging chases when Vos is on the attack.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
I find it hard to get excited about elite sports people I can beat in their own event.

And before you get snotty, I have beaten the women's time trial champion on several occasions (and never, to my knowledge, been beaten by her).

Have a cookie.
chipcookie-185x128.png

Sticky this thread? I'm feeling right on.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I find it hard to get excited about elite sports people I can beat in their own event.

And before you get snotty, I have beaten the women's time trial champion on several occasions (and never, to my knowledge, been beaten by her).

I find it hard to take someone's word for it nowadays. Do you have any proof? If not, I'm afraid I can't take your post seriously. I'd like to see how you fare in the Giro Donne...

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Not an expert in women cycling. Giro Donne was actually the first time I followed a women cycling race (I don't think 10 min highlights count as such). Anyway, this is my take on this:

I know descents are part of racing, but I am gutted to see this play such a huge role on this Giro. Pooley is such a talented rider, it just breaks my heart to see her ridind backwards once the road goes down. She HAS to improve that. I don't know if it's lack of technique. Either way it's clear she has a...let's say difficult personality for a pro rider. Some times I watch her racing or hear her interviews and it just seems she needs a huge shake up/confidence boost. So insecure...

A coulple of times she had the upper hand on a struglling Vos and yet decided to pace her through the climb. On stage 7 she attacked Vos ... on the false flat! From all the sections of the climb! Like that was a problem for the dutch.

I don't want to take anything from Vos, though. Impressive stage 9. Attacking early on the action showed confidence and strenght. Overall, She was the better rider, being up there all the time.

At last... the lesser number of riders and yes...the lesser homogeneity in the quality of the field make for some excelent racing. Really enjoyed this.

Some notes:
1- One stage to go. An ITT and right know third place is still up to grabs for Judith Arndt or Tatiana Guderzo.

2- Having heard of the amazing accomplishments from last year, I was a little disapointed with Mara Abbott -with the whole diadora pasta-zara actually. I understand she had a concussion some weeks ago, maybe that explains it. If true, I take it back.

Certainly Mara was involved in some kind of accident, but DPZ haven't really been forthcoming with specific details.

I'm most disappointed that, if Mara wasn't at full fitness - which she clearly wasn't - they wasted Claudia Häusler helping her out, when Claudia won the race outright 2 years ago. I don't think Claudia is on the same level as Abbott and Pooley (those 2 are easily the class of the field in the mountains when fit) but certainly giving her some more freedom before it was too late could have been beneficial, because she is a great climber and hasn't really been able to show it.

I'm also disappointed at the loss of the Tour de l'Aude - that was the only other 10-day race out there, and last year was a very good race.

Looks like Emma Pooley will go home with the mountains jersey and play José Manuel Fuente to Vos' Merckx again.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
As a British fan I can't help but feel sorry for Pooley, just as she bloomed in to a fantastic climber she has come up against perhaps the greatest talent in the history of the womens' sport.

A

Anonymous

On twitter.
albertocontador Alberto Contador
Great visit today of @marianne_vos Giro's winner and of everything she wants
scaled.php

TRENDING THREADS