• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The marvelous Victor Campenaerts, cult hero, thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Congrats to Campenaerts on the Super Combativity Award (and 20,000 Euros)
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-racing/tour-de-france/ticker-2/

Lotto-Dstny racer Victor Campenaerts has been voted the ‘super-combative’ rider of the 2023 Tour de France.

The Belgian got into five breakaways during the race. On stage 18 to Bourg-en-Bresse, he drove the four-man group in the finale to ensure they would stay away. Kasper Asgreen outsprinted his teammate Pascal Eeenkhoorn for victory.

The prize was decided by a combination of a jury and the public voice. Last year’s award winner was Wout van Aert (Jumbo-Visma).

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-his-tough-first-cycling-steps-in-jumbo-visma
So we can blame Campenaerts for all the messing around weighing food at Jumbo now?:)
(quote)
"Gesink observed how I was weighing the food. When about ten riders were sitting at the table, he spoke. 'Guys, you should watch it. We have something new here. Here comes someone with a scale for breakfast.' I can tell you that it was tough. If Gesink, the big man of that team, says something about you, that is something different than when a rider from Topsport Vlaanderen says something."

"Gesink made it clear that he was not in favor of sitting at the table with a scale. There was a lot of laughter about that in the team, but I persisted in bringing those scales with me. Nowadays, no one eats breakfast without a scale, including Robert Gesink. My relationship with Robert at that time was not really good. When I see him now we always have a cordial conversation. I should actually ask him if he still thinks back to that moment."(end quote)

Last edited:
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-his-tough-first-cycling-steps-in-jumbo-visma
So we can blame Camenaerts for all the messing around weighing food at Jumbo now?:)
(quote)
"Gesink observed how I was weighing the food. When about ten riders were sitting at the table, he spoke. 'Guys, you should watch it. We have something new here. Here comes someone with a scale for breakfast.' I can tell you that it was tough. If Gesink, the big man of that team, says something about you, that is something different than when a rider from Topsport Vlaanderen says something."

"Gesink made it clear that he was not in favor of sitting at the table with a scale. There was a lot of laughter about that in the team, but I persisted in bringing those scales with me. Nowadays, no one eats breakfast without a scale, including Robert Gesink. My relationship with Robert at that time was not really good. When I see him now we always have a cordial conversation. I should actually ask him if he still thinks back to that moment."(end quote)

The success of JV started when they stopped eating hagelslag for breakfast,

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan