• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The most hyped rider in the off season only to not perform for season 2012 is ?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Rather than a poll I thought a discussion and then come back to it after next year see who is right or wrong?

A couple who comes to mind straight away who I think will not perform near anyone expectations

Alejandro Valverde

another

Denis Menchov

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Valverde.

When did Menchov get hyped btw?

In and out of a lot of threads.

if he had of ridden the 2011 tour and next year he will ..... type of stuff some still think he is a major GT rider, I think he is done.

Gesink, Rui Costa

Pehaps Valverde too. Not because he will have a bad season, but because he is expected to return like a god. His characteristics are really classy and versatile
so he will probably pick up enough wins to have a good start, but not nearly satisfying the CN forum expectations.

Shardi said:
Gesink, Rui Costa

Pehaps Valverde too. Not because he will have a bad season, but because he is expected to return like a god. His characteristics are really classy and versatile
so he will probably pick up enough wins to have a good start, but not nearly satisfying the CN forum expectations.
If anyone hypes Gesink for next season, they're crazy.

theyoungest said:
If anyone hypes Gesink for next season, they're crazy.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if theres some "Miracle recovery for Gesink, going strong for Oman and spring classics" statements popping up soon. Its just how it works around here..!

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Philippe Gilbert

Mainly because of one or more of the following
A - How can he repeat the success of 2011
B - He will have some real competition again i.e. Valverde
C - I can't mention this one or we'll end up in The Clinic!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
How is Gilbert the most hyped? There's a consensus on this forum and practically the whole media that he will most likely not repeat his stellar year.

Valverde and Cadel Evans are the most hyped.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
A lot of hype on these boards for Costa, but I can see him being not much more than a domestique du luxe for Piti next season.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
How is Gilbert the most hyped? There's a consensus on this forum and practically the whole media that he will most likely not repeat his stellar year.

Valverde and Cadel Evans are the most hyped.

How is Gilbert not hyped? Who would really tip against him in any hilly classic race? Nobody. Don't be stupid. People who say he won't have such a good season are basing it on hunches like 'it will be impossible for him to be so dominant'. Of course Gilbert is the most hyped.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
How is Gilbert not hyped? Who would really tip against him in any hilly classic race? Nobody. Don't be stupid. People who say he won't have such a good season are basing it on hunches like 'it will be impossible for him to be so dominant'. Of course Gilbert is the most hyped.

Most people think he won't do as good as this year hence he's not hyped as much as some others. Valverde is being hyped, people are expecting him to win the Ardennes tripple, Paris-Nice, Pais Vasco, Dauphiné, Vuelta, World championship TT and road race, Olympic championship time trial and road race, multiple stages at the Tour and the green jersey, etc

(Yes, there is sarcasm in this post)

El Pistolero said:
Most people think he won't do as good as this year hence he's not hyped as much as some others. Valverde is being hyped, people are expecting him to win the Ardennes tripple, Paris-Nice, Pais Vasco, Dauphiné, Vuelta, World championship TT and road race, Olympic championship time trial and road race, multiple stages at the Tour and the green jersey, etc

(Yes, there is sarcasm in this post)

Ofcourse because he will also win Polka dot and the tour and the points jersey at the Vuelta. my bet is on Contador just because with the possibility of a suspension he is the only top rider likely to do absolutely nothing nxt year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps also Mark Cavendish now that he's world champion. He's with a new team and train so he'll have some accommodating to do. And media will probably not be happy to see the rainbow jersey get dropped in Milan-San Remo, Gent-Wevelgem, Ronde van Vlaanderen and Paris-Roubaix.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
Ofcourse because he will also win Polka dot and the tour and the points jersey at the Vuelta. my bet is on Contador just because with the possibility of a suspension he is the only top rider likely to do absolutely nothing nxt year.

I swear you would have written Cooke :)

costa has been talked up in like . . . 2 threads in the whole forum over the past months and no1 is stupid enough to hype gesink's next season.

i would go with froome

and evans a little bit as in i still think he will do great in the classics and 1 week races and be a major force there but won't be within the fight for the win in the tour. just my personal opinion

valverde is too much of an unknown situation to even discuss. . . i mean just so many factors :eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
costa has been talked up in like . . . 2 threads in the whole forum over the past months and no1 is stupid enough to hype gesink's next season.

i would go with froome

and evans a little bit as in i still think he will do great in the classics and 1 week races and be a major force there but won't be within the fight for the win in the tour. just my personal opinion

valverde is too much of an unknown situation to even discuss. . . i mean just so many factors :eek:

Yeah, you're the only one hyping Costa for the hilly classics :p

I would do the same if I was Portuguese though and at least it's based on beating De Onverslaanbare twice this season :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Unless these particular media know anything about cycling, and the fact that Mark Cavendish is a pure sprinter (?)

Mark believes he can win all those races in the future. San Remo already being done of course.

Menchov if anything is underated. A few of us mention him as a contender for the Tour but lot of posters were giving lists of like 10 guys they thought would do well in TDF and the likes of Kern were there but not Menchov.

The guy deserves to be mentioned based on his super tt skills, his 3 gt wins (especially Giro 09) and his podium just the year before this.

And hes younger than the current TDF champion.

The bookies seem to think that Nibali has a far better chance at the Tour de France than both Menchov and Sanchez.

Id say that its Nibalis tt skills that will disappoint a few, not neccesarily his very good climbing and descending.