• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 215 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Got a penalty for shoulder bumping.
Indeed. In a way, it's both too much and too little punishment.

Too much: If a stage winner had done that action that far from the finish line, would the jury have had the stones to relegate for that bump? I think not.

Too little: What punishment is it really to relegate Mathieu when Philipsen and Alpecin get to keep the win that he delivered.

I've always liked Philipsen so am enjoying seeing him get these wins, but it really is incredible how mvdp is delivering him on these stages, even in less than ideal situations like yesterday. If Philipsen, Jakobsen and Ewan are in similar form (and Ewan looks good right now) it's hard to look past Jasper for the win given the ruthless and skilful powerhouse in front of him.

One could almost say he's taking leadouts to... 'another lvl'

Nothing against Philipsen, i do think he is currently the best sprinter (as i said back in 2018 or 2019, he is a master in steering and positioning and is not often caught out, so he only needed the speed to start winning a lot... and now he's also got the speed) but i hope Van der Poel doesn't just babysit him the entire length of the TDF. I mean, i get that he does the leadout in some of these obvious sprint stages, but it would be kind of lame if that's all he is here for.

Nothing against Philipsen, i do think he is currently the best sprinter (as i said back in 2018 or 2019, he is a master in steering and positioning and is not often caught out, so he only needed the speed to start winning a lot... and now he's also got the speed) but i hope Van der Poel doesn't just babysit him the entire length of the TDF. I mean, i get that he does the leadout in some of these obvious sprint stages, but it would be kind of lame if that's all he is here for.
Agreed. It's awesome to see but it sort of reinforces my feeling that MvDP is sort of a fish out of water in GTs. His Mur de Bretagne exploits in 2020 was incredible but he also quit after a week. That was enough for me. I don't really want to see him (or Wout, for that matter) as a domestique wasting three weeks of energy. I want to see them dominating classics and winning WCRRs.

I do understand the sponsor obligation to show the colors during the Tour, however. But I don't have to like it.

Mixed bag. Love watching him do lead outs. Helluva lot more exciting than watching Wout domestique in the mountains, and it actually showcases his freakish bike handling skills, acceleration and killer mentality. Also, it doesn't take a lot out of him like the *** JV asks Wout to do - minus the huge risks he is taking in the scrum. But even then, MVDP didn't just "join up" on AP. He has basically built the team and has huge sweat equity and $ equity in it. Any WT AP win is a win for MVDP. Of course I want to see him compete for stages, but the main goal is Glasgow and it is good to see that he isn't going to be f'ing around in every break on every stage like he did at the Giro. Just win the WC RR, get a few points in the MTB races and call it a year.

As for the silly whining on WF about his push of Girmay, I'll defer to the greatest racer of all-time:

“If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you’re no longer a racing driver.”​