• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 218 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not really. MVDP had a *** winter - still dealing with the back issues. And getting caught out in that early split didn't help. My guess is MVDP wins RVV number 3 in '24. At 100% he's almost unbeatable there.

MVDP was at his best or at least very close this year, he said it himself after the RVV that he was pushing great numbers and Pogacar still rode away from him like a mad man. Pogacar was just that much stronger and there really isn't any shame in that. If you take away Pogacar then MVDP soloes to victory unchallenged. And considering his performances in MSR and PR... I don't remember ever seeing a stronger MVDP on the road and I think it's rather silly to imagine that wasn't even his best shape possible.

It's not like he was saying things like "oh I wasn't feeling great", he actually said he was feeling good and admitted Pogacar was just too strong that day. There really is no need to pretend that every time your favorite rider gets beaten it's because he wasn't "at 100%".

MVDP was at his best or at least very close this year, he said it himself after the RVV that he was pushing great numbers and Pogacar still rode away from him like a mad man. Pogacar was just that much stronger and there really isn't any shame in that. If you take away Pogacar then MVDP soloes to victory unchallenged. And considering his performances in MSR and PR... I don't remember ever seeing a stronger MVDP on the road and I think it's rather silly to imagine that wasn't even his best shape possible.

It's not like he was saying things like "oh I wasn't feeling great", he actually said he was feeling good and admitted Pogacar was just too strong that day. There really is no need to pretend that every time your favorite rider gets beaten it's because he wasn't "at 100%".
Agree with most. Only thing that perplexed me a bit was that he couldn't follow Pog better on Kwaremont. The year before when his shape wasn't as good he could follow but not this year. Sure Pog was stronger this year.

Just get to the end of the Tour, with maybe one more lead out for Jasper. Then recover and prep for a busy Worlds......
Road race on Sunday with the XCO on the following Saturday; in between are the XCC qualifiers and XCC finals....Might be useful to get some racing on the MTB before the XCO on the Saturday.....

Reactions: jmdirt
Are you guys serious? Barring a crash over the next couple of days I'd say everything is trending nicely for MVDP - which has been the goal all along. TDF stage wins don't count for much for a guy like MVDP. A World Championship on the other hand (especially in a year where you have 2 Monuments), would be massive. And of course his (the one he has basically built) team has won 4 stages and likely 5 before it's done.

Pogacar at RVV 2023 was just incredible though. It's still hard to imagine that he managed to drop MVDP on a climb like that.

I feel like he might want to stop riding GT's all together after this one. Unless he actually gains form/hardness by finishing these he should take the same approach as Boonen and just stage-hunt somewhere else.

Reactions: Bolder and SHAD0W93
Yeah, I wish he could do everything because I like watching him race - especially in CX and MTB. He should do what he likes, but it's all about 1 day races across disciplines. Stages don't count for much for freaks like MVDP and WVA. Too bad for Wout that he seems to hit top form in the TDF every year...

Mvdp looked to have nothing on stage 19. Couldn't even lead out philipsen.

Hmmmm. Can he turn himself into a superstar again in 2 weeks?

He has either ridden this tour with a shocking level of self restraint for him, or he is well off his best.
He keeps saying he is not 100 procent yet and I guess it shows. If its that cough then maybe the two weeks rest can do the trick. I'm not sure.

I don't think it's the self restraint. It was in the beginning on that stage that pedersen won (he should have went for that instead of leading out philipsen) but since then he seems to be off the mark. Although he climbing was not even that bad for his standards..

Whatever its the truth, it would be silly to save it all for a one day race where anything can happen (and has in the past) and where there are many favourites..

Are you guys serious? Barring a crash over the next couple of days I'd say everything is trending nicely for MVDP - which has been the goal all along. TDF stage wins don't count for much for a guy like MVDP. A World Championship on the other hand (especially in a year where you have 2 Monuments), would be massive. And of course his (the one he has basically built) team has won 4 stages and likely 5 before it's done.
Yes. I am serious. The great man couldn't even lead out Jasper to a decent fourth let alone pull back the gap today or make a break himself. He has looked a shadow of himself all tour.

As I say I hope he is just being really really restrained and training for worlds while participating in the biggest race of the year, but that's a very different mvdp to the one we all know, the man loves to race.

And I don't really care about Jasper wins. I'm sure most mvdp fans don't either.

Yes. I am serious. The great man couldn't even lead out Jasper to a decent fourth let alone pull back the gap today or make a break himself. He has looked a shadow of himself all tour.

As I say I hope he is just being really really restrained and training for worlds while participating in the biggest race of the year, but that's a very different mvdp to the one we all know, the man loves to race.

And I don't really care about Jasper wins. I'm sure most mvdp fans don't either.
Pull that whole group solo towards those 3 in front? Not to mention he went on the attack multiple times

Reactions: jmdirt
Pogacar at RVV 2023 was just incredible though. It's still hard to imagine that he managed to drop MVDP on a climb like that.

I feel like he might want to stop riding GT's all together after this one. Unless he actually gains form/hardness by finishing these he should take the same approach as Boonen and just stage-hunt somewhere else.
Have said this a number of times. That said, his leadouts are adding to the legend...

TRENDING THREADS