• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 281 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
he didnt get into trouble anywhere. Just didn't respond to attack on the inbetween part. Then had no teammates left.

Obviously he didn't feel super. And also didn't want to close for everyone else. I think we haven't seen the last of him for Liege tho. He said he will go training in Spain and really looks forward to Liege.

I think you're all a bit quick to conclude in a mostly tactical race where he simply did nothing, but didn't really get dropped anywhere on the climbs either.
I believe that’s our mantra ;)

I'll take the result today. Comes out 100% healthy in a race where another win doesn't really mean much. IF his form is truly on the downward trajectory, just get through LBL (or better yet just pull out mid week) and on to rest and prep for the next career defining opportunity(s) at the Olympics. But if not, good prep for LBL today. Have a good week and come into LBL in full beast mode. If he is still feeling it, a killer like MVDP beyond jacked to get a shot at taking down his little buddy Pogi when nobody thinks he can.

His main problem in LBL will be lack of a team of climbers. Pogi will have his pick from UAE's stacked lineup.

On that note....I wonder why Alpecin don't have at least one GC guy like Meintjes who can hang around the top 10 in a GT by himself.

I think it will be a more controlled race by UAE at least up to the moment when Pogacar goes. So Van der Poel may not need to react to moves by multiple riders by himself.

The problem for him is col du rosier before Desnié and La redoute. Col du rosier is a 10 minutes climb where UAE can really dry out MVP's energy. We saw a peak MVP losing time to Pogacar in Kwaremont, how the hell is he gonna hold to Pogacar's wheel in a climb tougher than Mur de Huy? And after Rosier and Desnié? I just can't see.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The problem for him is col du rosier before Desnié and La redoute. Col du rosier is a 10 minutes climb where UAE can really dry out MVP's energy. We saw a peak MVP losing time to Pogacar in Kwaremont, how the hell is he gonna hold to Pogacar's wheel in a climb tougher than Mur de Huy? And after Rosier and Desnié? I just can't see.
He maybe, and probably, can't hold Pogacar's wheel at La Redoute, but he's the only one capable of coming back.

mvdp was good in rvv 2023, no doubt, but he wasn't the same level as glasgow 2023.

Reactions: Berniece
Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
His main problem in LBL will be lack of a team of climbers. Pogi will have his pick from UAE's stacked lineup.

On that note....I wonder why Alpecin don't have at least one GC guy like Meintjes who can hang around the top 10 in a GT by himself.
He doesn't need team for sunday. He only has one thing to do: being all the time on pogacar's wheel, and not moving from that place. If he holds on his wheel, probably he will win the race, if he get's dropped, simply he wasn't good enough and his team wouldn't do miracles. Emirates and Pogacar will do the work on the race.

He doesn't need team for sunday. He only has one thing to do: being all the time on pogacar's wheel, and not moving from that place. If he holds on his wheel, probably he will win the race, if he get's dropped, simply he wasn't good enough and his team wouldn't do miracles. Emirates and Pogacar will do the work on the race.
Exactly. He doesn't need a team here much. The key is Pogacar, when and where he will go. Maybe he will want to imitate Merckx and attack on Stockeau. The more he waits, Van Der Poel's chances are better.

More than jail time, as nothing came of it, how about rehabilitation? The law isn't only about punishment. If it is then the prisons become social burden..
No, it's not just about punishment, but also discouragement. Even a pyscopath may alter their behavior if they believe it to be in their best interest.

Also this is a bike forum, if you want to virtue signal go on X.

Police are investigating, no? There's nothign that MvdP needs to do.

Besides, if you assume that 1% of a population are antisocial scum who also love negative attention then you wanna give these people as little attention as possible. When people do terrible things to be famous, stop making them famous. Even if attention is negative and most people are angry, you're only encouraging it.

No, it's not just about punishment, but also discouragement. Even a pyscopath may alter their behavior if they believe it to be in their best interest.

Also this is a bike forum, if you want to virtue signal go on X.
Sayeth the snarky, self-appointed judge of zero consequence. Discouragement is built into the legal constraints and fostered through civic education. But you can't prevent crazy. The gesture was terribile, but fortunately without incident, and likely betrays some form of mental issue. She needs therapy, not a jail sentence.

What is his team’s actual plan going to be? Shredding the race apart has worked perfectly when he’s been the strongest but the exact opposite seems to be necessary this time around. Just try to hang on and hope for dear life when Pogacar attacks? Or can something fancy be done tactically?

What is his team’s actual plan going to be? Shredding the race apart has worked perfectly when he’s been the strongest but the exact opposite seems to be necessary this time around. Just try to hang on and hope for dear life when Pogacar attacks? Or can something fancy be done tactically?
Liege is among the least tactical monuments.

If we think they should race to MvdPs strength here, I'd say go hard in the easier, tailwind section in the first hours to put fatigue in everyone's legs.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
Exactly. He doesn't need a team here much. The key is Pogacar, when and where he will go. Maybe he will want to imitate Merckx and attack on Stockeau. The more he waits, Van Der Poel's chances are better.
The problem could be if Hirschi, Almeida or even Ulissi are feeling frisky and go with attacks. Then Pogacar just has to sit and wait for Mvdp to cover. This is assuming that Alpecin won't be able to cover with SKA and Hermans.