The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Probably just a proper test, doesn't say anything. But form should be good then.

Still don't think it's feasible to do anything in Lombardia. I mean last years it was Nibali vs Roglic vs Mollema etc.. There's no room for classic riders there like Vd Poel. Even Van Avermaet who is a solid climber compared to other classic riders couldn't compete with that.

MVDP and his squad (Vervaeke and De Tier) KOM'd today the Col de Petit St Bernard. 28km/h average for 24km of ascension and 5 minutes faster than the previous KOM (from Warren Barguil). Bring on the classics!
That's probably a good sign for him thinking towards Strade. He also might have an advantage there over some guys who are prioritizing the Tour/ WC, whereas he probably peaks Strade/MSR and then at Flanders.

Probably a bit underwhelming but Floris de Tier said he was *** over when he punctured. The pace was pretty high when that happened and it cost a lot of power to come back. So I'm seeing this a missed opportunity to see where he really stands in such a type of race as Strade is. Ah well, you have to be lucky as well... Next week MSR

i know but you know what i mean

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/mathieu-van-der-poel-over-lekke-band-ik-ben-daar-een-goed-resultaat-verloren/

he himself seems convinced he lost any chance of a better result because of the puncture. The effort he needed to come back was the effort he needed a bit later..
If that effort took him out then and there (that early) i have a hard time believing he was going to be a contender for the win this year. He remains my favorite for de Ronde though, by far actually.

Reactions: BlueRoads
If that effort took him out then and there (that early) i have a hard time believing he was going to be a contender for the win this year. He remains my favorite for de Ronde though, by far actually.
It's Mathieu van der Poel.

Speed skating is no longer the Dutch national sport. It's moving goal posts for Mathieu van der Poel and Max Verstappen

To be honest I'm not convinced the puncture cost him. His comments after the recce about it being harder than he thought/expected made me think he's not quite ready yet. However, I may be wrong.
First race back after a big block of training; he usually struggles. As seen in the last year on both the XC & CX bikes. This time last year he couldn't handle the heat & pace in Les Gets and and finished 14th, after a big block of training.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS