• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Probably just a proper test, doesn't say anything. But form should be good then.

Still don't think it's feasible to do anything in Lombardia. I mean last years it was Nibali vs Roglic vs Mollema etc.. There's no room for classic riders there like Vd Poel. Even Van Avermaet who is a solid climber compared to other classic riders couldn't compete with that.

MVDP and his squad (Vervaeke and De Tier) KOM'd today the Col de Petit St Bernard. 28km/h average for 24km of ascension and 5 minutes faster than the previous KOM (from Warren Barguil). Bring on the classics!

That's probably a good sign for him thinking towards Strade. He also might have an advantage there over some guys who are prioritizing the Tour/ WC, whereas he probably peaks Strade/MSR and then at Flanders.

i know but you know what i mean

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/m...band-ik-ben-daar-een-goed-resultaat-verloren/

he himself seems convinced he lost any chance of a better result because of the puncture. The effort he needed to come back was the effort he needed a bit later..
If that effort took him out then and there (that early) i have a hard time believing he was going to be a contender for the win this year. He remains my favorite for de Ronde though, by far actually.

Reactions: BlueRoads
If that effort took him out then and there (that early) i have a hard time believing he was going to be a contender for the win this year. He remains my favorite for de Ronde though, by far actually.
It's Mathieu van der Poel.

Speed skating is no longer the Dutch national sport. It's moving goal posts for Mathieu van der Poel and Max Verstappen

To be honest I'm not convinced the puncture cost him. His comments after the recce about it being harder than he thought/expected made me think he's not quite ready yet. However, I may be wrong.
First race back after a big block of training; he usually struggles. As seen in the last year on both the XC & CX bikes. This time last year he couldn't handle the heat & pace in Les Gets and and finished 14th, after a big block of training.

Not for some time, if at all. His new target is the Olympics in Paris in 2024, so he'll be on the MTB until then. A top team won't want him anywhere near the MTB, or too much on the CX bike.
I hope he keeps mixing up the disciplines, and breaking the rules as what a top rider does/ is supposed to do.

Not sure what he was doing during the covid break that ruined his Olympic MTB plans etc., but that was strong progress today - especially trying to close that gap to the leaders solo - in his mind probably thought he had a shot to win. Better get your shots in now Red Rick - kind've like in cyclocross this year where you had to get him early season - or never.

Not sure what he was doing during the covid break that ruined his Olympic MTB plans etc., but that was strong progress today - especially trying to close that gap to the leaders solo - in his mind probably thought he had a shot to win. Better get your shots in now Red Rick - kind've like in cyclocross this year where you had to get him early season - or never.
Exceeded my expectations. He'll be ready for RVV & PR.

If someone had told me he'd get a better result in Il Lombardia than in Milano Sanremo I'd have driven them to the asylum myself.
Would you still do that even with the knowledge that 70% of the guys that would normally be fighting for top positions in Lombardia among with a lot of their most capable domestiques who could impose a higher pace during the race were absent because of the clash with Dauphine and TdF preparations?

Would you still do that even with the knowledge that 70% of the guys that would normally be fighting for top positions in Lombardia among with a lot of their most capable domestiques who could impose a higher pace during the race were absent because of the clash with Dauphine and TdF preparations?
Maybe less so, but I basically had VdP pegged as someone who would be more like in the 3rd gruppetto than deep into the Lombardia final.

Reactions: Sandisfan