• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Luckily looks like MVP will be fine - no fractures according to C-C FB page:

Nokere Koerse didn’t end as we expected. A nasty crash for Mathieu van der Poel in the final straight line and afterwards they took him away with the ambulance to the hospital. Luckily, no fractures has been determined. Only abrasions and bruises. With these circumstances, he will be able to complete his road program as planned.

https://www.facebook.com/corendoncircus/

Re:

That's good to hear the team is saying he should be able to continue his spring season. I echo the sentiment that I hope this doesn't make him think the road is too risky, because I'd like to see him on the road, but well, it is kinda too risky.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well that was a lot of hype for nothing. 1 Sunweb rider was all it took to end his spring campaign.

**** me that's bad luck. He couldn't do anything about it. I saw the replay from the air... so unlucky.

I've watched that replay a few times and I don't quite get what's going on - Walscheid slows as if to drop out of the sprint for some reason, and the CCC guy coming up on his left with speed doesn't anticipate this and takes him out. I'm curious to hear what the heck Walscheid was doing, or if he had a mechanical and it was just one of those things.

Re: Re:

skidmark said:
That's good to hear the team is saying he should be able to continue his spring season. I echo the sentiment that I hope this doesn't make him think the road is too risky, because I'd like to see him on the road, but well, it is kinda too risky.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well that was a lot of hype for nothing. 1 Sunweb rider was all it took to end his spring campaign.

**** me that's bad luck. He couldn't do anything about it. I saw the replay from the air... so unlucky.

I've watched that replay a few times and I don't quite get what's going on - Walscheid slows as if to drop out of the sprint for some reason, and the CCC guy coming up on his left with speed doesn't anticipate this and takes him out. I'm curious to hear what the heck Walscheid was doing, or if he had a mechanical and it was just one of those things.

He was leading them out. Was taking his turn until he swung the elbow and let himself fall through the pack. Pretty normal standard formula. It appears that the CCC rider and tried to squeeze through a space that wasn't there when they passed Walscheid thus touching. The fall itself looks a bit off though, wasn't that hard of a touch.

Don't think Walscheid is the one to blame here though.

skidmark said:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I dont't know about too risky but it of course is more dangerous than cross. Then again, it' hard to find a more dangerous place than the beginning of the Nokereberg. They descend with 70 kph at least until they hit it, and it's on cobbles, making it a bit more dangerous than a regular bunch sprint. Really a pity for him but surely it will not discourage him. Unless he is looking for excuses to not do road racing.

tobydawq said:
skidmark said:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I dont't know about too risky but it of course is more dangerous than cross. Then again, it' hard to find a more dangerous place than the beginning of the Nokereberg. They descend with 70 kph at least until they hit it, and it's on cobbles, making it a bit more dangerous than a regular bunch sprint. Really a pity for him but surely it will not discourage him. Unless he is looking for excuses to not do road racing.

Looks like the CCC rider clips Walscheid's bars.

Re:

F_Cance said:
I cant stand him. All this fuss yesterday (for nothing) and now already back on the bike riding cobbles. They rather should have helped Gerts first. He needed it more.

This comment totally perplexes me, but I'll bite; why can't you stand him? :Neutral:

Scarponi said:
F_Cance said:
I cant stand him. All this fuss yesterday (for nothing) and now already back on the bike riding cobbles. They rather should have helped Gerts first. He needed it more.
Gerts landed on his neck,
Don’t understand how he wasn’t first

Two interesting articles on Sporza. In one, Mathieu is now minimizing expectations for Ronde van Vlaanderen. He felt there were a few parts of the course yesterday, that were heavier than he imagined them to be. And that also a lot can happen in a race. He does hope he can ride a good classification but he doesn't want to put a number on what that should be. https://sporza.be/nl/2019/03/21/van-der-poel-na-val/

Second article is from one of the doctors that were present, who outright denies the claim about Gerts not being looked after. Gerts was looked after first by two medics, even before the first medic checked van der Poel. The ambulance did take van der Poel to the hospital first, but that had a medical purpose, because he wanted to observe Gerts before having an ambulance move him. https://sporza.be/nl/2019/03/21/dokter-nokere-koerse-over-floris-gerts/

TRENDING THREADS