• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He has admitted that he probably shouldn't have gone that hard in order to follow Schurter in the beginning. The latter blew himself up as well ending up 6th. Mathieu fell back too but he has the uncanny ability to recover fairly quickly during a race and, in doing so, still managed to finish 2nd. The scary thing is that he said he wasn't feeling 100% anymore like he did during his road campaign.

Beat Schurter in a direct duel too. Even the sweeter. People tend to criticize him for not picking the road exclusively, but kudos to him for sticking to his guns and creating his own legacy. If I had that immense talent, I'd probably do the same.

It's really crazy. Schurter is kind of like the MVP of XC, and he just waxed him by 20 seconds. We've seen riders master 2 disciplines (Cadel Evans for example), but all 3? In the same year, even. Pauline Ferrand-Prevot did it to an even greater extent in women's cycling in 2015, and she was only 23. If you think about it, her feat was even more difficult given the lack of financial support for women's cycling. (Not discounting that women's fields tend to be less deep for that very reason). Unfortunately her career may have peaked due to health issues.

Re:

Bolder said:
It's really crazy. Schurter is kind of like the MVP of XC, and he just waxed him by 20 seconds. We've seen riders master 2 disciplines (Cadel Evans for example), but all 3? In the same year, even. Pauline Ferrand-Prevot did it to an even greater extent in women's cycling in 2015, and she was only 23. If you think about it, her feat was even more difficult given the lack of financial support for women's cycling. (Not discounting that women's fields tend to be less deep for that very reason). Unfortunately her career may have peaked due to health issues.
15 second gain in something like 35-50 seconds of riding

Re:

Bolder said:

Or, if you think about it, it really was not for that very important reason you write in the bracket.

I think it's safe to say MvdP is now the best cyclist in the world.

And before a lot of other rider fans get antsy. I'm talking about overall cyclist. Which other cyclist could possibly win (multiple) CX World Cups, (multiple) World Tour races and a MTB WC in the spread of 6 months. That's insane.

Plus if he competes, he can call himself a favorite for each discipline on the World Championship. It's really insane.

I wonder if we'll ever see a cyclist again who can possibly do the same.

Also, that acceleration in the last lap was absolutely insane. He did the same thing in CX earlier this season and Van Aert said it was the craziest thing he'd ever see somebody do on a bike. It's like Schurter was standing still.. and usually it's Schurter who's playing with his opponents and eating them in the last lap.

And VdP still wants to lose 4kg to climb better for Tokyo? ***.

https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuws/algemeen-nieuws/231870/van-der-poel-zet-veldrijden-op-lager-pitje-eigenlijk-niets-meer-te-winnen

Translated: VdP feels he doesn't have anything to gain in CX anymore, he will cross less and focus more on road + MTB. He says he will try and win the world championship, but he doesn't care about the classifications anymore (world cup, superprestige, dvv trofee). He will most likely ride the world championship on the road + 'an ASO race in the autumn' because he wants to get invited to PR next year.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuws/algemeen-nieuws/231870/van-der-poel-zet-veldrijden-op-lager-pitje-eigenlijk-niets-meer-te-winnen

Translated: VdP feels he doesn't have anything to gain in CX anymore, he will cross less and focus more on road + MTB. He says he will try and win the world championship, but he doesn't care about the classifications anymore (world cup, superprestige, dvv trofee). He will most likely ride the world championship on the road + 'an ASO race in the autumn' because he wants to get invited to PR next year.

Would that be the Arctic Race of Norway? The only other non-Vuelta ASO autumn races are Paris-Tours and Deutschland Tour which would be just as realistic options but I think someone (you?) mentioned the Arctic Race a few weeks ago.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I listened the podcast now, it is indeed arctic tour

Okay, never would have guessed it was that. Arctic Race (and Deutschland Tour) are for me still peak summer races.

For my last post it crossed my mind that it could be Saitama Criterium or something like that since he, at least a few weeks ago, wanted go to Tokyo MTB Test Event.

IMG-20190607-WA0012.jpg

Woop! let's gooo

TRENDING THREADS