• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

that's interesting, says he wants to ride the Vuelta after the olympics already next year. And then the TDF in 2021.
No interest in GC because he's simply too heavy. Doesn't say it's totally excluded from the future but deems it unlikely (thank god, who wants to be another boring gc rider)

that's interesting, says he wants to ride the Vuelta after the olympics already next year. And then the TDF in 2021.
No interest in GC because he's simply too heavy. Doesn't say it's totally excluded from the future but deems it unlikely (thank god, who wants to be another boring gc rider)
Imagine Vuelta sprint stages generally suit him more than the other GT sprints.

But the situation with the Vuelta is vastly different. So far his team was only getting invititations to WT one-day races and not WT stage races. It's a big difference because one-day races have 7 wild card spots and stage races have only 4. What's more, 2020 WT is likely to have more than 18 teams, which means there will be even fewer wild card spots. If Vuelta organisers have only 2 or 3 wild cards to give, you may be pretty much sure they'll all go to Cofidis and/or Spanish teams. Van der Poel is not a GC contender and his team does not have any other rider who would be of any significant sporting value at a race like Vuelta (unless some kind of unexpected breakthrough, of course). It's a completely different story than getting one of the 7 wild cars to a classic of which VdP is one of the biggest favourites to win.

I can't really see Corendon getting 2020 Vuelta invite as things stand right now.,, unless we have fewer than 20 WT teams so they can get automatic invitation for being top1-2 PCT team in the rankings? Can they pull it off?

Last edited:
As weird as it may sound he rode a strong race. Perfect up to the point he had nothing left because he probably forgot to eat.

Classic lesson.
I had a hunger knock only once, and I remember I couldn't pedal at all, like 15km/h was painful. I can't imagine what a hunger knock after 250km feels like. Probably worse. Poor dude. Lesson learned

H
As weird as it may sound he rode a strong race. Perfect up to the point he had nothing left because he probably forgot to eat.

Classic lesson.
I had a hunger knock only once, and I remember I couldn't pedal at all, like 15km/h was painful. I can't imagine what a hunger knock after 250km feels like. Probably worse. Poor dude. Lesson learned

Agree, for sure a hunger knock. He still was the best and his move was 100% decisive for the outcome of the race.

The attack was really smart cause Teunissen was dropping. After he got away with Trentin, Moscon, Kung and Pedersen he did waaayyyyy too much work.

THat's not to say he wouldn't bonk if he did less, he'd still bonk, but it was a very basic tactical mistake in my opinion.

He's way too used to go like 'lol my legs are legendary guess I'll win now'

Well, he has been riding to win everywhere all season, in cross, in MTB and on the road, even in the preparation races. It worked in Dwars dV, it worked in the AGR. Today the race was one lap too long. If you race like that all the time you're bound to hit a wall at one point. He still had an impressive season.

Well, he has been riding to win everywhere all season, in cross, in MTB and on the road, even in the preparation races. It worked in Dwars dV, it worked in the AGR. Today the race was one lap too long. If you race like that all the time you're bound to hit a wall at one point. He still had an impressive season.

Sorry, but that seems like a rather easy thing to say after the fact.

I don't know that he was bound to hit the wall like that today.

TRENDING THREADS