• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Postponed his CX season to 3 november

Smart move
-More rest (after longer road season)
-Skips koppenberg (hates that cross, hardly ever performs well there)

They might cut more in his CX season to prepare for the road spring and olympic MTB season.
People often think he races a lot, but last season he did 32 cx races, 30 road race days and about 10 mtb races. There are road racers who have more days with road racing alone.
They are being very smart and careful with it.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Looks like he back at what he's best in - winning races.
+ November schedule:
After Ruddervoorde, van der Poel will race the European Championships in Silvelle, Italy, Jaarmarktcross Niel, the Tabor World Cup, DVV Trophy Hamme, Ambiancecross Wachtebeke, the Koksijde World Cup, and DVV Trophy Kortrijk.

Yes! :D I hoped he would ride Strade and MSR.

To be fair, I think Strade is, like with Wout van Aert, just a tad too hilly for him to win against Alaf/Fugl type of riders. But he could still finish close. MSR... well, I'd like to see it, Poggio is perfect for him and the downhill as well. Could be interesting.

His rumoured spring schedule;

Strade
Tirreno
MSR
Dwars door Vlaanderen
Gent-Wevelgem
Ronde van Vlaanderen
Paris-Roubaix
Brabantse pijl

How many of those races, based on 2019 form, does he have a serious chance to win? I defer to the classics experts but I would think GW and Flanders.

Of course MSR but I'll point out that the length of the WCRR this year might have been an issue (or just the cold). It's a damn long race, and he'd be going from hour and a bit cx efforts into 300 km or so...

He's the putative favorite as defending winner of DDV and BP, of course.

Unknowns are Strade and P-R. I think he'll win P-R someday, but it could take a few tries -- seems like luck and experience play a big role. Strade seems to favor punchier, lighter riders.

That worlds course was a lot, lot more selective than MSR. If he sits in the bunch and follows wheels until the Cipressa it’ll just be a 6-hour warmup ride before an all-out last 40 minutes. Strade is much more likely to test his endurance for repeated high-output efforts, and van Aert’s been 3rd at Strade the last 2 years, so no reason vdP shouldn’t do well there.

The only race on the list that I’d be surprised to see him win is Tirreno. And even at that, it’s course-dependent.

Reactions: 42x16ss
Ok let's first get that myhth out that length is an issue. Please.

He has ridden a big selection of 250km+ races. Including EC, RVV, AGR, WC. He has had a issue at 1 of those races, and that was an extremity with rain and cold the whole day, where riders as Alaphilippe and inform Lutsenko even went into completely nowhere and Valverde abonded with 80km to go.

You think they can't handle the distance either?

Cmon. He has proven already he can handle the distance. Pleaaaase. Let's not start this myth

Reactions: KZD and 42x16ss
How many of those races, based on 2019 form, does he have a serious chance to win? I defer to the classics experts but I would think GW and Flanders.

Of course MSR but I'll point out that the length of the WCRR this year might have been an issue (or just the cold). It's a damn long race, and he'd be going from hour and a bit cx efforts into 300 km or so...

Unknowns are Strade and P-R. I think he'll win P-R someday, but it could take a few tries -- seems like luck and experience play a big role. Strade seems to favor punchier, lighter riders.
He will be highly competitive at all those races with the possible exception of GC at Tirreno. His performance (and also WvA's) last season showed that he will be fine. WC was a miscalculation of the conditions.

I could see him winning both in Strade Bianche and Milan San Remo although I think the Poggio isn't the best kind of climb for him to go solo, its more likely that he wins a sprint from a reduced bunch. Tirreno will be to add racing miles and maybe win a stage.
Anyway, riding three monuments in one year I think its almost certain he will podium in one and even a win doesn't seem unlikely.
I also think that after Paris Roubaix, Amstel would make sense than Brabantse Pijl either that or just finish the spring in PR.

In sadder news, RIP Raymond Poulidor you are now in cycling heaven

Last edited:
Sad news for Mathieu today, his grandpa and a great champion of his time as well, Raymond Poulidor, has passed away :cry:

Raymond Poulidor (winner of the 1964 Vuelta a España):

82047_poludorv.jpg

The picture is from 2016 (translated):
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-route-raymond-poulidor-van-der-poel-il-est-bon-partout-ddv19-vanderpoel-rvv19-poulidor-belgium-tdf-82047.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Raymond Poulidor at the 1966 Tour de France.

800px-Raymond_Poulidor%2C_Tour_de_France_1966_%28cropped%29.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: LaFlorecita
You may find it silly but I'm just basing it on what I've seen and his own words. Anyway, I don't necessarily think he can't or won't wait, the point was that the distance shouldn't be an issue and if there's any issue at all it would be that.

Yes, crosser seem to have up to 9%. I wonder if it leaves him more vulnerable to sickness. Can't really remember him getting sick.
I do remember him getting sick 2 years ago during the CX-season, but that was because he had to give interviews and go the the cerenomy in his sweaty clothes after a cross. Can't remember any other time he has been sick. We don't know what his fat percentage was the previous years though. Might have been higher.

His performance at Amstel would seem to indicate he can handle Strade Bianche.

TRENDING THREADS