• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The outstanding favourite for de Ronde for me. Van Aert a bit below since he should be over the edge of his peak by now. Imagine the two of them dropping the rest of the field on the Paterberg and riding together to the finish. That would be a dream for every cx fan and it's far from an unlikely scenario.

I might forget someone because it's such an odd year, but who's going to challenge them? Quick Step isn't looking strong so far at all for the cobbles, for their standards.

I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian and say that MVDP made a tactical error by going on that long BBT attack, as thrilling as it was. Would you rather win the BinckBank Tour over SKA and Kung, or LBL over the World Champion, Hirschi and the 1-2 in the TdF?

He should have saved a few matches because he could have, in my view, easily outpunched the top 4 yesterday. It might not have played out like that but a fresher MVDP would have been right there fighting for the win instead of best of the rest.

He said it was a few half attempts by Mohoric and he blames himself for not going with him. Which implies he could, but didn't. Believing it was better to work with the group probably?

Also regarding the big five. Sure van Aert has won one and looks more likely. But on the other hand who says this wasn't Van Aerts gilbert-like year and he can reproduce this every year? Too little info.
I know you shouldn't talk about the big five before winning one. But you have to consider VDP's lack of serious road racing until last year. He's basically 1 year 'behind' Van Aert in experience at WT level... And has now ridden all monuments bar 1 in the top 13 on his first attempt. I cannot underline that enough.

He said it was a few half attempts by Mohoric and he blames himself for not going with him. Which implies he could, but didn't. Believing it was better to work with the group probably?

Also regarding the big five. Sure van Aert has won one and looks more likely. But on the other hand who says this wasn't Van Aerts gilbert-like year and he can reproduce this every year? Too little info.
I know you shouldn't talk about the big five before winning one. But you have to consider VDP's lack of serious road racing until last year. He's basically 1 year 'behind' Van Aert in experience at WT level... And has now ridden all monuments bar 1 in the top 13 on his first attempt. I cannot underline that enough.
The thing is Van der Poel always talks about his *** ups as if they're tactical decisions played out wrong.

But then again he thought he didn't need to be at the front of the gruop at the last Oude Kwaremont.

TRENDING THREADS