• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Doubt MVDP will be riding Omloop - He will need to self isolate for 7 to 10 as a close contact.
Apparently not. Looks like we might get to see him there after all. Best of all worlds - we get to see him win a great race in the echelons AND race Omloop.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Apparently not. Looks like we might get to see him there after all. Best of all worlds - we get to see him win a great race in the echelons AND race Omloop.

A surprising decision but the medical authorities have far more expertise than me.

According to this article he will be riding for Merlier so I think it could be getting Merlier and Philipsen their shots too. VdP gets all the other big classics so why not use it as a warm-up for the big shows. Alpecin-Fenix seems to be committed to developing all their riders instead of just Mathieu.

At the end of the day it’s all in favor of Mathieu though. Everything they do these days is for the most ideal prep leading up to Strade.
That he can serve as a super-domistique is more of an incidental (and fortunate) outcome of that preparation.

It’d also be pretty interesting to see who’s the fastest out of Merlier, Mathieu, or Philipsen.

I think we'll gonna see a famous edition of the Strade Bianchi. A fight between (ex)cyclocrossers. With the two top favorites Alaphilippe en Van der Poel. With Van Aert coming down the Tenerife mountain Teide (but without prior competition, so not a top favorite). With Pidcock. I think the others (Van Avermaet, Benoot, Formolo, Fughlsang, Bettiol en co) will be good too, but will have to recognize their superior in the final.

I think we'll gonna see a famous edition of the Strade Bianchi. A fight between (ex)cyclocrossers. With the two top favorites Alaphilippe en Van der Poel. With Van Aert coming down the Tenerife mountain Teide (but without prior competition, so not a top favorite). With Pidcock. I think the others (Van Avermaet, Benoot, Formolo, Fughlsang, Bettiol en co) will be good too, but will have to recognize their superior in the final.
I really hope he wins and wins well. His Le Samyn finish was a classic Rope-a-dope setup for a teammate that is truly brilliant. MVP!

So like i said in the Strade topic, his handlebar was probably damaged during KBK when he hit a car on the side the handlebar would break two days later.

Something i've noticed a few times now in multiple interviews/talkshows, is that his dad has a tendency to talk about "us", "we" and "our team", when he talks about Alpecin Fenix. I think all three van der Poels are very well integrated within the team, and i can't easily see them break up. I mean, it doesn't seem like Mathieu moving to any of the big WT teams is happening any time soon.

So like i said in the Strade topic, his handlebar was probably damaged during KBK when he hit a car on the side the handlebar would break two days later.

Something i've noticed a few times now in multiple interviews/talkshows, is that his dad has a tendency to talk about "us", "we" and "our team", when he talks about Alpecin Fenix. I think all three van der Poels are very well integrated within the team, and i can't easily see them break up. I mean, it doesn't seem like Mathieu moving to any of the big WT teams is happening any time soon.

Good thing if he doesn't move away, but I find parents who talk like that about their children annoying, famous or not. (Okay, I admit, I even sometimes do that myself. Well, I'm annoyed with my habit.)

TRENDING THREADS