• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
None of the other favs made that error. He would have been reminded of that by his DS. After all it is their job to keep the riders appraised of potential pitfalls. He probably took it casually. Also not having teammates may have also resulted in less alertness. I don't think he listens that much to the team car or bothers about teammates. We saw in the sprint in stage 1 also, he rode Merlier off his wheel when leading him out.
Already the war of words has started between JA and MVDP teams. It is going to get even more acrimonious i suspect.

None of the other favs made that error. He would have been reminded of that by his DS. After all it is their job to keep the riders appraised of potential pitfalls. He probably took it casually. Also not having teammates may have also resulted in less alertness. I don't think he listens that much to the team car or bothers about teammates. We saw in the sprint in stage 1 also, he rode Merlier off his wheel when leading him out.
Already the war of words has started between JA and MVDP teams. It is going to get even more acrimonious i suspect.

What is the bolded part about?

This is incorrect, it was not Lefevere who said this. I think it was Sénéchal, but i'm not sure anymore.
Yeah, it was Sénéchal before le Samyn, but what he said made no sense. Saying that Alpecin only have 1 rider who can win (becomes even better knowing that Merlier won in the end), and that DQS has different options to win. The other names he gave from DQS were brilliant though, namely Van Lerberghe, Hodge and Cavendish.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Something I noticed with van der Poel and his interviews after winning a particularly hard race:

• Koppenbergcross 2017: 'never had to dig that deep'
  • Dutch championships 2020: 'hardest race I have ever done'
  • Binckbank tour 2020: 'never had to dig that deep'
  • Tirreno Adriatico 2021: 'never dug deeper'

Maybe van der Poel's perception after a hard race is not that reliable... ;)

But they could be all true.

I have a lot of respect for Mathieu and the way he sticks to his guns by racing “unorthodoxly”.

With that being said one must wonder if he’s doing too much without it being really necessary and in doing so, accumulating unnecessary fatigue which can work against his goals for the rest of the season.

He could have waited today and still win.

It’s like he loves punishing himself and die a thousand deaths otherwise the win isn’t “worth” it.

I’m just concerned about the long-term effects and, in turn, the longevity of his career.

I have a lot of respect for Mathieu and the way he sticks to his guns by racing “unorthodoxly”.

With that being said one must wonder if he’s doing too much without it being really necessary and in doing so, accumulating unnecessary fatigue which can work against his goals for the rest of the season.

It’s like he loves punishing himself and die a thousand deaths otherwise the win isn’t “worth” it.

I’m just concerned about the long-term effects and, in turn, the longevity of his career.
I love the way he races! IMO, worry about the race that you are in not the one that you MIGHT be in next week.

Something I noticed with van der Poel and his interviews after winning a particularly hard race:

At the end of a race, the brain goes into auto pilot.

They were all true at that time...

I love the way he races! IMO, worry about the race that you are in not the one that you MIGHT be in next week.
I understand where you're coming from, and I like the way he races too, but it's not about that. I would want him to have a long and fruitful career.

He can still worry about the race he's in currently by dialing it back and knowing that he is strong enough to out-kick or out-sprint pretty much anyone at the end if needed and still realize his goal of winning the race.

I'm not saying he should stop doing long-range attacks altogether as that's just in his character and he'd be going against who he is which will take the fun out of racing for him and, in turn, for us. But sometimes it's just not necessary imo, and he'd be much happier for it when his next big target rolls around.

Given TP, this might not necessarily be true. The instinct of going from afar when you are not a GC threat is fairly ingrained. TP did not chase him so much as he saw an opportunity to put time into WVA. That would still have been the case regardless, and it may or may not have turned out much differently.

I do understand what you're saying though.

Given TP, this might not necessarily be true. The instinct of going from afar when you are not a GC threat is fairly ingrained. TP did not chase him so much as he saw an opportunity to put time into WVA. That would still have been the case regardless, and it may or may not have turned out much differently.

I do understand what you're saying though.
I completely agree. Hence “could’ve” won and not “would’ve” won.

I understand where you're coming from, and I like the way he races too, but it's not about that. I would want him to have a long and fruitful career.

He can still worry about the race he's in currently by dialing it back and knowing that he is strong enough to out-kick or out-sprint pretty much anyone at the end if needed and still realize his goal of winning the race.

I'm not saying he should stop doing long-range attacks altogether as that's just in his character and he'd be going against who he is which will take the fun out of racing for him and, in turn, for us. But sometimes it's just not necessary imo, and he'd be much happier for it when his next big target rolls around.
I don't disagree with you, but you never know what tomorrow holds...

TRENDING THREADS