• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 67 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, shame he couldn't win another classic after Strade though. That feels kinda like a bummer/waste.

He also admitted that he was good, but not super like in Strade. Tirreno is to blame I think. Still, he was obviously good enough to win. But Asgreen was stronger, both in E3 and here. In MSR nobody had the legs to get away and in DVV he had an off day.

He said he's already looking forward to MTB because it's his 'favorite discipline'. :)

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Seeing the numbers uploaded to Strava, he managed to do 1160 watts for 10 seconds in the final sprint before bonking. Puts into perspective the strength of Asgreen.
It's nowhere near his sprints at end of Amstel 2019 and Strade 2021.

I think it's pretty clear he pretty much peaked in the Italian races and after that he was good, but not the best VDP.
Shows he is human, not even he can keep a super form like he had in Strade and Tirreno for longer than 2 weeks.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
I think it's pretty clear he pretty much peaked in the Italian races and after that he was good, but not the best VDP.
Shows he is human, not even he can keep a super form like he had in Strade and Tirreno for longer than 2 weeks.
Plus the effort he put in in stage 5 in TA was massive. That kind of exhaustion could pretty much have ruined the rest of the classics season completely. That breakway was impressive but pretty counterproductive in the long run.

He really seems to be spreading himself too thin mid-season (SWI, nationals, TdF, Olympics). If he gets a medal at the Olympics on MTB, it really will be an indictment of that sport.

I don't see it that way, Van der Poel is one of the best road cyclists we've seen in years, and that sport has much more money than MTB which attracts talent. Who's to say guys like Schurter or Absalon couldn't have had good careers on the road too if they wanted? Obviously there's a lot of cross-over skills.

Do you think the same about track cycling too?

Reactions: Sandisfan
If anyone misses some MVDP action (like me), they can watch Mathiue van der Poel and Tom Pidcock in a MTB race in half an hour, live @ 18:45. Women's race is half an hour earlier at 18:00.
Live stream:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS