• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Glad he's not seriously hurt. Seems obvious he slowed and was trying to roll it. The only thing that puzzles me is why he was going to roll it, the dude is crazy good in the air and one of the best bike-handlers I've ever seen. It's just faster to send it, and having 5 guys right in front of you sending it makes it all the more likely that you'd follow the line and the speed, if my experience mountain biking means anything. Just..odd. Oh well. He's young, he's won plenty, and he's an animal. Sorry he missed out but I can't shed too many tears for a guy with so much talent and ability. "Never feel sorry for a man with a jet" or so the saying goes...

Glad he's not seriously hurt. Seems obvious he slowed and was trying to roll it. The only thing that puzzles me is why he was going to roll it, the dude is crazy good in the air and one of the best bike-handlers I've ever seen. It's just faster to send it, and having 5 guys right in front of you sending it makes it all the more likely that you'd follow the line and the speed, if my experience mountain biking means anything. Just..odd. Oh well. He's young, he's won plenty, and he's an animal. Sorry he missed out but I can't shed too many tears for a guy with so much talent and ability. "Never feel sorry for a man with a jet" or so the saying goes...
While knowing nothing about mountain bike racing, but having watched a lot of alpine downhill ski races, is it possible that it some cases it’s faster to “roll” a section rather than air it? Skiers know the more time they spend in the air the more it will reduce their speed. Of course, skis on ice have a lot less resistance than rubber tread on wood, so probably not.

Well that sucks. Fantastic news though that he has no fractures and presumably will be back at it pretty quick. I went over the bars like that in May and achieved 8 broken ribs and a collapsed lung. He's a physical freak and lots of big goals to achieve over the next few months. Not sure if the schedule would allow it (with PR and the Road Worlds, but you have to wonder if he will try to get the MTB World Championship jersey now to make up for this complete mess.

Reactions: Andy262
I think if it's your most important goal of the past 3/4 years you should be absolutely sure what the course is going to be. So I think it's still 100% own fault.

As for rest of the program. Adrie confirmed it's gonna be -> training camp -> Benelux or Britain -> some other races that lead up to WC / Roubaix.

So no more MTB this season
This and, well, who else made that mistake?

Reactions: Sandisfan
What is the point of securing challenging parts of the course during reconnaissance, when riders even ride with no high speed. To be confronted during the race with a way more difficult and of course "not secured" technical passage or riscfull jump.
When doing test laps and hot laps you start slower and build speed. The ramp allows you to safely build your speed to understand what you need to do to clear the drop when there is no ramp. It's not that uncommon when courses are highly technical with drops. Considering only one rider seemed not to get it, I think a certain rider did not do their homework, which has already been commented on as being strange given his multi-year focus on the event

Reactions: Sandisfan
It has been mentioned once already, but it is actually faster to roll than to get much air time. Lots of air looks awesome, but it's slower

Reactions: Sciatic
While knowing nothing about mountain bike racing, but having watched a lot of alpine downhill ski races, is it possible that it some cases it’s faster to “roll” a section rather than air it? Skiers know the more time they spend in the air the more it will reduce their speed. Of course, skis on ice have a lot less resistance than rubber tread on wood, so probably not.
You're completely correct actually.

Reactions: Sciatic
Usually there is a "B line" in place in the most technical parts, which is considerably slower, for someone who has a mechanical for example.

This drop had a B line, to the left of the rock, which can't be completly seen in the live pictures, but if you watch the course preview video by Sergio Mantecón at the Test Event, it can be seen taped.
But then why use a ramp during the reconn ? Considering there was a B line. Totally not logical. But the organizers didn't make the same mistake in the women's race. Not at that point, but not at other difficult/tricky points either.

The purpose of the ramp is exactly what you are asking yourself: without the ramp, that drop is dangerous at low speed.
At race speed, they don’t need the ramp and nobody will ever touch it. And to have a technical enough course, they expect the riders to go down without that ramp.

That is, unless someone (like MvdP) comes up with an alternative way to tackle that drop at speed, using the ramp to coast down the hill, rather than chose a (hard landing) jump.

Did you watch the women's race? there the organizers have corrected their mistake.

Did you watch the women's race? there the organizers have corrected their mistake.
If only one in the men's race misjudged the absence of the ramp, and none other crashed, it's a personal mistake.
The ramp was there in the women's race because they deemed it necessary (either with the weather, the women not jumping this far,...).

When doing test laps and hot laps you start slower and build speed. The ramp allows you to safely build your speed to understand what you need to do to clear the drop when there is no ramp. It's not that uncommon when courses are highly technical with drops. Considering only one rider seemed not to get it, I think a certain rider did not do their homework, which has already been commented on as being strange given his multi-year focus on the event
The reconnaissance round must always be the same as the competition round, otherwise reconnaissance is pointless.
Unless the reconnaissance shows that a passage is too dangerous. Then you can adjust / make it safe. The opposite is happening here. But the organizers have corrected their mistake at the women's race. Too late for vdp of course. Who also bears great responsibility.

I recognise your point, but I still disagree. Arguably the jump was dangerous - yes - but was it too dangerous? MTB courses are built to provide action and make the race look spectacular for the viewers and interesting for the riders.

The mistake was Van der Poel's, not the organisers'.

If only one in the men's race misjudged the absence of the ramp, and none other crashed, it's a personal mistake.
The ramp was there in the women's race because they deemed it necessary (either with the weather, the women not jumping this far,...).
Come on, professional woman racers not able to jump by rain ? The organizers simply realized their mistake and corrected it. In MBK organisers can use A- en B-lines in reconnaissance and in race. But not remove a ramp in the time between reconn and race.

I recognise your point, but I still disagree. Arguably the jump was dangerous - yes - but was it too dangerous? MTB courses are built to provide action and make the race look spectacular for the viewers and interesting for the riders.

The mistake was Van der Poel's, not the organisers'.
But that's not the point. No problem with the jump. But then don't install a ramp before the reconn to withdrawn it before the race. And of course. Vdp made a mistake too. And the Dutch coach who has also admitted his mistake in the meantime. He had only pointed out that the ramp had been removed at the test event for the competition. But hadn't explicitly pointed out that this also would happen for the olympic event. And Vdp not being a regular mounainbiker....Thus clearly shared responsibility between the three parties.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS