• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agree that van der Poel usually doesn't think much about how to preserve energy, he just races... but in the case of those two races Asgreen was simply in monster-monster form, and it wasn't because he saved energy... especially not at E3 (wasn't that the race where he rode on his own for half the race (exaggerating) and then just went again when he was caught?
its not like Asgreen saved himself either. He went with all attacks that VDP did or even initiated some of his own in RVV. Worked with VDP up until the line, and had more energy left. He was just stronger that entire period. My guess is if PR was in april he'd have won that as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not really, no. I knew Alpecin beforehand. Now I dislike them and would never dream of buying their product.

And that's written by someone who is suffering from a slowly receding hairline!
It’s also a perfect forum meme because whenever Alpecin signs a new rider and someone asks why did they transfer to that team, we always have a ready answer!

It's been on since TdF where I live. I imitate it hostile in my home lol.

Kudos for trying to not be so macho, and go for something slightly more current with that meterosexual vibe. But it ends up bullying the wide majority of men in the most weird kind of way which probably isn't the smartest if you want people to buy your products.:smirkcat:

It's been on since TdF where I live. I imitate it hostile in my home lol.

Kudos for trying to not be so macho, and go for something slightly more current with that meterosexual vibe. But it ends up bullying the wide majority of men in the most weird kind of way which probably isn't the smartest if you want people to buy your products.:smirkcat:

I don't know the spot but that's pretty much every beauty advertisement, isn't it? Your hair is thin? Drama beyond imagination. You have some pimples, dry hands, cellulitis or unperfect teeth? Oh my god, your life is practically over if you don't do something against it NOW.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I don't know the spot but that's pretty much every beauty advertisement, isn't it? Your hair is thin? Drama beyond imagination. You have some pimples, dry hands, cellulitis or unperfect teeth? Oh my god, your life is practically over if you don't do something against it NOW.
Yup, I was thinking of adding a twist about how women has been this targeted like this since forever, like "oh you need to have shiny long hair, use our products". Same same but different.

And I am torn between really liking things becoming more mixed and androgynous, while at the same time I don't want anyone to be targeted by that industry, as it is so very toxic.

I always loved shaved heads on almost anyone though. <3

Yup, I was thinking of adding a twist about how women has been this targeted like this since forever, like "oh you need to have shiny long hair, use our products". Same same but different.

And I am torn between really liking things becoming more mixed and androgynous, while at the same time I don't want anyone to be targeted by that industry, as it is so very toxic.

I always loved shaved heads on almost anyone though. <3
I think most beauty product ads, while equally dumb, have a little more variety than having six men saying the exact same thing one after another. Sometimes I get the version where they say their line in their native language, which is a little more interesting. But sometimes Eurosport gives me the version where the all say the same line in English. Crazy stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: noob
t
I don’t understand why you’re so bothered by it. Fact is van der poel beat Wout twice in Tirreno, fact is also that Wout beat Mathieu twice in Tirreno. Depending on what point you’re trying to make you can use the one without necessarily mentioning the other. Y’all get so pressed over nothing.
I didn't start the discussion. I reacted on a statement that Van der poel had beaten Van Aert in several occasions and was therefore better than Van Aert. With several examples where Van der poel was the better than Van Aert. For example in the Strade Bianche this year (forgotting that Van Aert was far the better than Vdp in the same Strade in 2020 and in Milano-San Remo). Beating Van Aert twice in the Tirreno (forgotting that Van Aert had beaten Vdp twice in the same Tirreno). Not to mention the beginning of the Tour this year when Van der poel was initially better than Van Aert (not in topshape after his surgery), but where Van Aert (3 stagewins) showed to be the better in a mountain stage (won by Theuns). Van der poel faded there and didn't start te next stage...... to make a beautifull salto in Japan.
I think it is clear that van Aert this season, just like last season, was globally better than Van der poel.
Van Aert (third) was the better of Van der poel (fourth) in the UCI individual ranking 2020 and mid september 2021 Van Aert already is the number one with 4747 points, an Vdp the number fife with "only" 2166 points. Van Aert was in 2020 also the better of Vdp in the number of wins. And this season Van Aert is the leader in the wins (13). With 8 wins for Vdp.

Still, I think Van de poel is slightly the most talented. And is certainly the most explosive. But as mentioned before, Van
Aert has the strongest head of the two and is slightly better in endurance and in hard races.

t
I didn't start the discussion. I reacted on a statement that Van der poel had beaten Van Aert in several occasions and was therefore better than Van Aert. With several examples where Van der poel was the better than Van Aert. For example in the Strade Bianche this year (forgotting that Van Aert was far the better than Vdp in the same Strade in 2020 and in Milano-San Remo). Beating Van Aert twice in the Tirreno (forgotting that Van Aert had beaten Vdp twice in the same Tirreno). Not to mention the beginning of the Tour this year when Van der poel was initially better than Van Aert (not in topshape after his surgery), but where Van Aert (3 stagewins) showed to be the better in a mountain stage (won by Theuns). Van der poel faded there and didn't start te next stage...... to make a beautifull salto in Japan.
I think it is clear that van Aert this season, just like last season, was globally better than Van der poel.
Van Aert (third) was the better of Van der poel (fourth) in the UCI individual ranking 2020 and mid september 2021 Van Aert already is the number one with 4747 points, an Vdp the number fife with "only" 2166 points. Van Aert was in 2020 also the better of Vdp in the number of wins. And this season Van Aert is the leader in the wins (13). With 8 wins for Vdp.

Still, I think Van de poel is slightly the most talented. And is certainly the most explosive. But as mentioned before, Van
Aert has the strongest head of the two and is slightly better in endurance and in hard races.
This is exactly what I mean. You actually took the time to write all of that (your prerogative, of course) while the only note-worthy part of your post is the last part of your last paragraph.

They have different strenghts and therefore there’s a plethora of races where the one has beaten the other. In other words it’s a moot discussion.

t

This last line is typical WVA fan nonsense. If MVDP really had a "weaker" head than WVA he would have to be a ton more "talented" to have beaten him so regularly when they race head to head. Wout gets a lot of credit for "hanging in there" for a good finishing position when all chances of winning are long - I'll give him that.

TRENDING THREADS