• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The decision has been made that he'll start in the WC RR. I guess his back is feeling ok'ish.
With a health issue that’s been going on since May? He must think he take on the likes of Super Wout and not finish the season on a poor note – just hope he doesn’t do some long term damage. Someone else alluded to it, maybe there has been some mind games and bluffing to some extent. Anyhoo… can’t wait for the race!

Reactions: Sandisfan
With a health issue that’s been going on since May? He must think he take on the likes of Super Wout and not finish the season on a poor note – just hope he doesn’t do some long term damage. Someone else alluded to it, maybe there has been some mind games and bluffing to some extent. Anyhoo… can’t wait for the race!
He won't be on top form, but when you're the bike racer in the world you race the WC's when the course suits you if can get to the start line. The mind games/bluffing is utter f'ing nonsense. The ultimate winner and racer missing the MTB WC's on purpose, missing the best WC prep races on purpose? This is just Belgian Wout fans terrified of MVDP - especially when he's even more of "wildcard" than usual. Wout has to be the clear favorite, but the beauty of MVDP is that you never know what the hell he is capable of. What you do know, is that on form, nobody can beat him straight up.

The MvdP at Flanders wasn't the same as seen at Strade Bianchi; that massive effort in Tirreno emptied him...
Truth! MvdP's physiology doesn't mesh well with Stage racing. He's a fast responder to training and a super hard stage race pushes him into the overtraining category. Wout, on the other hand, responds well to stage racing. MvdP should stick with what he does best...the hard Classics, CX, and MTB racing.

Truth! MvdP's physiology doesn't mesh well with Stage racing. He's a fast responder to training and a super hard stage race pushes him into the overtraining category. Wout, on the other hand, responds well to stage racing. MvdP should stick with what he does best...the hard Classics, CX, and MTB racing.
can't comment regarding his physiology, but absolutely agree with your last sentence... maybe a bit ease out on the CX racing imho

All the twists and turns on the WC course mean continual accelerations out of corners—like in a CX race, no? Should suit MVDP and Van Aert very well.
I once described the WCC course as an oversized CX course. Very technical, short sections, narrow streets, twisting & turning, short uphill sprint etc.. it's made for Mathieu. One caveat, it's probably going to be a constant battle for position (which is a non-factor in a 1 hour CX race since he attacks in round 1) which is not his forte.

Okay.

Quite the insight.

And how did Van Aert respond from Tirreno?
Good point. Although I would agree with the statement that Wout is more suited to stage races - but from more of a mental point of view. MVDP definitely seems to ha
Okay.

Quite the insight.

And how did Van Aert respond from Tirreno?
I agree Wout is more suited to stage races, but
I once described the WCC course as an oversized CX course. Very technical, short sections, narrow streets, twisting & turning, short uphill sprint etc.. it's made for Mathieu. One caveat, it's probably going to be a constant battle for position (which is a non-factor in a 1 hour CX race since he attacks in round 1) which is not his forte.
Well, as an MVDP fan, I hope he can take advantage. Seems like a longshot though, given Wout's current form vs. MVDP's current lack of form - not to mention Wout's superior team. Noticed that Wout is holding as a better than 3 to 1 favorite w/MVDP staying in the high 7's. Might have to put my money where my mouth is and drop some cash on MVDP.

I have a feeling MVDP is going to be able to hang in long enough to start believing he can win on Sunday. And once he gets a sniff of the finish line there is no one who can bury themselves for the win like MVDP. He will win another WC on Sunday.

Definitely one of the big favorites for Sunday again. We're in for another round of "Mathieu vs Wout". :D
All others are at least one level down in the favorite ranking imho.

TRENDING THREADS