• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 132 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why?? Then he becomes just another one dimensional road rider.....Mixing and winning in different disciplines is a sign of a great rider; and should be encouraged more.
I never watch MTB. And only sometimes CX. It's okay if he does part of the CX season, but not the entire season from late September to start of February. I can't see that would be beneficial for the preperation for the spring classics season.

Therefore I would much rather see him come into the spring classics season optimally prepared and not plagued by injuries due to MTB crashes or tired because of a long CX season.

• Sad
Reactions: jmdirt
I never watch MTB. And only sometimes CX. It's okay if he does part of the CX season, but not the entire season from late September to start of February. I can't see that would be beneficial for the preperation for the spring classics season.

Therefore I would much rather see him come into the spring classics season optimally prepared and not plagued by injuries due to MTB crashes or tired because of a long CX season.
You ought to watch MTB'ing - very exciting from the word go with great crowds and great coverage by Redbull (except when they screw up the camera timing). As for crashes/injuries, World Tour road races are a helluva lot more dangerous and crash-plagued than elite MTB races - especially for a guy who's probably the best bike handler in the world. In road races he's at the mercy of the peloton, whereas on the MTB things are in his control. The Olympics crash was a complete freak accident. I assume everyone knows that, but people still talk about it like he actually crashed because of a physical technical error. MVDP would make that drop 1M out of 1M times and would likely be faster over it than everyone else too. Unfortunately, his mind told his body there was a plank there and he tried to roll a X foot drop - and even a hack like me knows that won't work.

Reactions: jmdirt
You ought to watch MTB'ing - very exciting from the word go with great crowds and great coverage by Redbull (except when they screw up the camera timing). As for crashes/injuries, World Tour road races are a helluva lot more dangerous and crash-plagued than elite MTB races - especially for a guy who's probably the best bike handler in the world. In road races he's at the mercy of the peloton, whereas on the MTB things are in his control. The Olympics crash was a complete freak accident. I assume everyone knows that, but people still talk about it like he actually crashed because of a physical technical error. MVDP would make that drop 1M out of 1M times and would likely be faster over it than everyone else too. Unfortunately, his mind told his body there was a plank there and he tried to roll a X foot drop - and even a hack like me knows that won't work.
MMMM, maybe top five, bet certainly one of the best. N1no is probably still the best in World Cup XCO.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck

You can be fairly certain he calls the shots on his program and what races are most important. CX is a blast to watch and is clearly the source of his attacking confidence; like Wout. He'll likely settle on a specific, bankable discipline as he gets a little older with the competition rising around him. He'll have to, as you suggest.

With an italian major sponsor on board (which, I suspect, may only be giving name to the team until the end of this or next year, as I'm confident we will have a Alpecin - Deceuninck in the future) it makes sense.

Even earlier than I expected, the team changes their name to Alpecin-Deceuninck from 01/07 onwards. They are seeking a World Tour license for next season.

(don't know if the team deserves a proper thread now as other teams have, so I'll just leave it here as it's a topic of conversation that sometimes appear here).

My impression is that he wasn't sure how to approach finale.
Was spending energy near the finish, instead of trying from further out, if he already wasn't convinced in the sprint.
The mechanical and chasing earlier on didn't help either, but it wasn't decisive... enough time afterward to recover for any move.
Kudos for the racing spirit, regardless.

TRENDING THREADS