• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 133 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His poor team meant he had to chase down all the dangerous breaks himself in the finale.
Meanwhile, the stage winner was able to sit in the wheels and allow any of his many teamates to do that job for him.
Was I the only person screaming for MVP to win as they bombed down the straight to the finish line?
It certainly feels like it.

Reactions: limak_
His poor team meant he had to chase down all the dangerous breaks himself in the finale.
Meanwhile, the stage winner was able to sit in the wheels and allow any of his many teamates to do that job for him.
Was I the only person screaming for MVP to win as they bombed down the straight to the finish line?
That's not true. If he wanted a sprint the only guy he had to follow was Girmay as his teammates would have chased back any other rider.

Intermarche was chasing anyway.
Girmay should've been his only concern.
...if sure in his sprint.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's not true. If he wanted a sprint the only guy he had to follow was Girmay as his teammates would have chased back any other rider.

I think his tactical situation was more complex than that. I’m not sure that Pozzovivo and Hirt are exactly the guys you want to be counting on to control things. MVDP effectively killed the main attack we saw, but if he hadn’t it might have been a messy finale. He made a mess of his tactics, but I think he probably was going to have to do more than follow Wanty and hope.

MVDP is a force of nature. Who cares if he makes a mess of tactics, etc. The guy lights it up every time he races, and is basically an artist with the he is one with the bike - even Sean Kelly was impressed with the way he swiped the ice pack at 30mph today. What makes him different is that on any given day he can do things on a bike that no one else in the world can do. He's having fun at the Giro - his career won't be measured by stage wins at a race like this. Sure he could've won today if he was a bit more tactical, but it would've been a helluva lot less fun to watch - same goes for last Saturday's stage. This guy has won so many bike races over the past 7-8 years - he's probably enjoying not just being able to line up and dominate.

He said something on ‘Wielerflits’ about previewing the stage with the team on Veloviewer. They had set their minds on attacking the last descent, since they thought it was quite technical and favored a solo attack. Matthieu said it turned out to be less so but tried anyway. He said it was tough to recover from that effort.
Maybe it cost him the endurance in his sprint.
that (and other gap closings) definitely cost him... and based on how he races, it'll cost him many wins in the future too - but it's fun to watch and sometimes it might actually lead to a successful finish

Have a feeling he is going to do something big tomorrow. That said, don't think we are seeing truly full strength MVDP here. Not like he was at SB, TA, Swiss or TDF last year - on that form he is almost unbeatable. Everyone forgets that most folks thought he'd be lucky to be racing right now with the back issue that held him up. Love watching this guy race the bike. Even better when he's on the CX or MTB.

Have a feeling he is going to do something big tomorrow. That said, don't think we are seeing truly full strength MVDP here. Not like he was at SB, TA, Swiss or TDF last year - on that form he is almost unbeatable. Everyone forgets that most folks thought he'd be lucky to be racing right now with the back issue that held him up. Love watching this guy race the bike. Even better when he's on the CX or MTB.
Even on that form he's inconsistent.

MvdP got beaten bad on stage 1 of the Tour last year. Then on stage 7 in the super long break he wasn't great in that break either.

that (and other gap closings) definitely cost him... and based on how he races, it'll cost him many wins in the future too - but it's fun to watch and sometimes it might actually lead to a successful finish
It's also that he's not gotten this deep in a GT. Was Blockhaus the hardest climb he's ever done in a race? Granted, he wasn't racing it hard, but he still had to go 200 kms.

IMO he ought to be a little more careful about spending energy over 3 weeks, but I'm sure he will figure it out if he wants to ride full GTs.

Reactions: glassmoon
It's also that he's not gotten this deep in a GT. Was Blockhaus the hardest climb he's ever done in a race? Granted, he wasn't racing it hard, but he still had to go 200 kms.

IMO he ought to be a little more careful about spending energy over 3 weeks, but I'm sure he will figure it out if he wants to ride full GTs.
yeah... I'm not sure what he was trying there instead of chilling back in gruppetto... maybe he's pushing himself a bit just get an idea how what he can or can't do during the Tour

You should really stop with "he is not at full strength"-bs every time he doesn't win everything he wants.

He said something on ‘Wielerflits’ about previewing the stage with the team on Veloviewer. They had set their minds on attacking the last descent, since they thought it was quite technical and favored a solo attack. Matthieu said it turned out to be less so but tried anyway. He said it was tough to recover from that effort.
Maybe it cost him the endurance in his sprint.
Wout would have taken that solo attack gap all the way to the finish for a win.

What a ride today, hats off

FTno-srWYAE3LtH